Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Duck for Sale!!!

Christopher Dallas
Scott, I think your comments are rather harsh! The engine may not be a TT unit of 1930 but is a development engine which apart from the crank and rods is genuine.

The fuel tank, radiator, rev counter and many more small parts are the original and genuine parts. Many of the other bits, including gearbox atc are genuine sports so is the rear axle.

I think that considering the life of a genuine competition car that his TT is a nice car which composes many TT components and other genuine sports bits.

No one of the surviving TTs is totally original and all comprise new bits and pieces, especially if they were used in competition post war.

If you feel this way about Davids car you are going to love my reproduction of the 500 mile car!! That too will have a new body and unfortunately not the correct 9B engine! However it will have a genuine sports engine, axles, correct TT instruments including the rare rev counter!

May I associate myself with the words and sentiments of Mr Dallas' post

Charles

wow i am curious as to what this car is, poor but curious.
my top hat is expensive enough for me.
Does any one have the link to view it.

David,

Picture here

The exchange adverts on the VSCC site are in the members only part of the site. There is not much information on there about the car. It is very quick. I had a good look at the car when i went to Australia in 2004. It is fantastic.

Regards

Rob

"Ducks" were works built racing cars not for customers, highly developed and rather quick! Not sure how many were made but it wasn't a lot.

You have to be a member of the VSCC to view the ad.

It is however this car that is for sale;

1931 Austin 7

And here are some at Brooklands in 1933;

Source Book page 333 - The "Ducks" September 1931.

Three cars built for the works team entry Brooklands 500 mile. Nicknamed 'Rubber Ducks'.
Engine blown Ulster 56 bhp at 6000 rpm top speed 105 mph (remember on an Austin chassis - WOW!)
One car was later sent to New Zealand, Grant Cowie brought it over to Victoria some 20 years ago.
Not sure what alterations made over the years, but still one of the most complete works cars in existance.

Austin 7 Duck Racer

Grant at Winton Motor Raceway.

Tony.

To quote a friend of my fathers who has driven the car (I hope he doesn't mind me posting this).

"Grant Cowie gave me a drive of the works Duck racer at Winton a couple of years back, and I have never been so terrifed in my life. The cockpit was designed for a midget and neither Grant nor I can get in without removing the wheel. Once moving the noise is deafening, mostly gear whine. The blower is gear driven and is somewhere near your left ankle, the transmission is offset which puts the gearbox along your left thigh and the straight cut rear axle is under left hip. All this reverberates around the inside of an eggshell out of which your head sticks so it can get the full blast of the tailpipe. But it is frighteningly quick and very twitchy on those tight corners at Winton. Would have been much more suitable for Brooklands I think."

sounds like fun, super car!

Please would someone be kind enough to copy and paste the ad here.

It's a very nice little thing! But God what's it worth?

Certainly more original than the two supposed "works cars" which appeared at Goodwood's Brooklands pit this year!

Scott

The advert does not reveal anything more about the car other than has already been said, apart from it has recently had a new crank and flywheel.
I do not think it is appropriate to put the add here with Grant's contact details. I wanted to let a wider audience know it was on the market, but I am sure it will be advertised in the Austin Club magazines also.

This car came to NZ around 1934 or 35 and had a long and sucessfull racing career over here. It is substantialy original excepting repairs made during the restoration by Grant. The crankcase was badly damaged in 1957 when it was over-reved at a hill climb, several unsucessfull attempts to repair the damage were made due to the alloy being impregnated with castor oil. It was then run for a couple of years with a ford 10 engine, however fortunatly the owners at the time had the foresight to realise the value of the car and decided to conserved it until it was eventualy sold to Grant and restored.

Ian
This car came to NZ around 1934 or 35 and had a long and sucessfull racing career over here. It is substantialy original excepting repairs made during the restoration by Grant. The crankcase was badly damaged in 1957 when it was over-reved at a hill climb, several unsucessfull attempts to repair the damage were made due to the alloy being impregnated with castor oil. It was then run for a couple of years with a ford 10 engine, however fortunatly the owners at the time had the foresight to realise the value of the car and decided to conserved it until it was eventualy sold to Grant and restored.

Are you in NZ Ian and, if so, are you the Ian I think you are?

Steve

Yes. Well said, Christopher.
I prefer an amicable co existence myself. I approve of the sensibility your post displays.

Are you quite well?

Regards, Stuart

Mr Ulph,

Arm is much improved thank you!! I see another Austineer has cracked C/C issues..interesting to see what will be said!!

C

Hi Steve, yes I am in NZ, Auckland based and although an ex-pat I do not think we have ever knowingly met.
I would however be very pleased to make your acquantance if you are ever in this neck of the woods.

PS; Other trivia for you, what is claimed to be the original blower case is still in a workshop in Auckland!

Ian,

"PS; Other trivia for you, what is claimed to be the original blower case is still in a workshop in Auckland!"

Carefull- or we might have another 'Duck'.

Tony.

Scott McBurney
Ben,

Nothing wrong with the truth, though maybe you can't handle it. David Howe's so called TT car is a lash up. Incorrect in numerous ways. A fake, a sham, not authentic, a counterfeit and many other words could be added to this list.

What parts exactly from his car competed for the Austin Works team running Ulsters in the 1931 season. A new body, an engine built up in 1933, a chassis which can't decided whether it is 130185, 130186 or some XE fabrication... It is nothing more than a special made up of some interesting bits with no traceable history.

Scott

Yawn.

Hello to all,

Here is the same info as posted on the VSCC website.
I'm slowly getting the "Duck For Sale" out there.
Other than a safer fuel system,starter motor and better axles the Duck is very much as built by the factory including the blower which has a XA number stamped on it. Any parts that have been replaced are included with the sale of the car.
I'm trying to get a simple website up but lack time to cotlate the info.

Rubber Duck
After 25 years I am selling my factory built single seater Austin Seven, Chassis 1012 Engine XA158. Primarily built to compete at Brooklands it also competed at Shelsley Walsh and Avus in Germany. Drivers included Freddie March, Alec Issigonis, Driscoll, Benjafield, Turner and Thompson. In 1935 it was sent to New Zealand where it competed with distinction primarily driven by George Smith and Ron Roycroft. I completed the rebuild of the car in 2002 and have used the car extensively in circut, hillclimb and sprint events since. Highlights include Goodwood Revival in 2005, a VSCC season in 2005 and the Australian GP support event in 2008. The "Duck" has been fastidiously maintained during this period and has been very reliable. It was freshened up in 2008 which included a new crank and flywheel. Offers Invited. Grant Cowie
Phone: 03 54705526 (Australia)
Email: grantc@upcreek.com.au

Grant

Grant,
I hope you didn't mind me starting this thread. The idea was to really get the advert to a wider audience and certainly didn't want to start arguments about originality.
Hope you find a good home for the car, (selfishly I hope it is in the UK so I can get to see it)!

All the best

Tom

This car has become such a part of the Australian historic racing scene over the past couple of years in Grant's hands it would be a shame to see it leave (which it probably will). It is a fantastic device- I recall seeing it at Eastern Creek a couple of years ago doing well over 110 mph down the straight lap after lap. But the nice thing is it is not overdone- it is so evocative in it's current condition. Wish I had the money myself- lottery ticket coming up!

I knew the previous owner of the Duck before Grant owned it, The late Lester Reader. Lester gave me the photos of it which I passed to Martin Eyre for his book "Austin Seven competition cars 1922-1982" (750 MC 1982).This happened when I was in the UK in 1980. My recollection was at the time that it was unknown of in the UK. I dont think Grant had an interest in it at the time. The Cranckcase was so badly damaged in the Late 1950 that a New one was cast when Grant began restoration, many people were sad to see it leave New Zealand as it was here that it spent most of its active life, and it s importance to the history of Motor Racing in New Zealand. It was only the fact that Grant wished to Emigrate to Australia which saw it leave these shores. My long friend Gordon Routledge ( Ex 750 M C North Herts Group ) Spent some time after he retired, in Aus Helping with the restoration. I have some photos of this somewhere, as well as a number of the car in the 1950s. It was in a very sorry state before restoration , but as Grant states it had all the right parts and is substantially original. I do hope someone here might buy it but I doubt if anyone has the readys for it here

I agree with steve's comments, the car played such an important part in NZ motor racing history it would be fantastic if it came back here, but I somehow doubt that will happen.(if only those numbers would come up) Full credit to Grant for the restoration and use of the car whilst he has owned it. We can only hope that it stays in good hands and continues to actively campaigned not disappear into a private collection somewhere. I am always amazed at the survival rate of the ex works cars, wonder what happened to the second South African duck? now that would be a find.

Over the years I've heard so many tales of Duck spares both in NZ and here in Australia. However I have never seen a single spare for the car. I would be delighted if some spares existed. Although its only hearsay I have been told that the car did come with spares and Herb Gilroy talked of having a spare cylinder head.

When George Smith brought the car to Australia to run in the 1936 AGP it reputedly had spares with it.

I have always felt a little guilty bringing the Duck with me when I finally settled in Australia. I'd be rapt if the car returned to NZ where it has so much history. However I even keener for the next owner to continue using it as a racing car as thats what it was built for.
Grant

I have spoken to Gordon Routledge this afternoon and he is of the realistic opinion ,at least in my view, that the U K is probably the best place for it where someone can afford to campaign it amounst similar ilk cars, which dont exist in sufficient numbers here. it would be such a shame to see it "Museumed", as to speak. Grant, you have our blessing, but what are you going to do with the proceeds?!

I have seen the "Duck" at all stages of its refurbishment since it came to Australia. Grant Cowie has done a wonderful job with a very special car. We have been privileged to have seen it in action here and I have been lucky enough to have driven it in a 'regularity' event at the Winton Raceway. What can I say - a delight to drive and very well put together with great attention to detail and a faithful restoration to 'original'.

I hope it remains in Australia - where it did compete in South Australia in the 1930's. I too, hope that someone will purchase it to use and not put in a Museum. It is good value for someone who appreciates a 'real' car and not a 'special' just created to win races. It is capable of beating all racing Austin 7 specials with Grant driving, although my '81 raid Car gives it a run for its money( when driven by my son aged 23).Please someone in Oz, purchase it and keep it here!

Graeme Steinfort

how much is it anyway?

Well Graeme- I think it has your name on it!

Tony.

Tony

Does his name include lots of 0000000's

I think that old adage: If you have to ask then you probably can`t afford it springs to mind

iana7
I think that old adage: If you have to ask then you probably can`t afford it springs to mind

Maybe, but then again maybe not...

Being an ''American'' I did ask

He is looking for offers

He sent several nice photos and I think the little car is wonderful.

Don't worry it isn't coming to Poland as I remember the 'Blue Train Bentley' Story as well as so many others.

There is an advert in this months Classic and Sports Car magazine inviting offers over $200,000 Australian. (£126,000.)

I will keep buying the lottery tickets.

shizers

WOW

Damb

you need a big wallet and a very small frame to race it

F1 springs 2 mind..

Austin Harris
There is an advert in this months Classic and Sports Car magazine inviting offers over $200,000 Australian. (£126,000.)

I will keep buying the lottery tickets.

Austin

On the basis of the odds being 1 in 2,330,636 of winning £100K I wouldn't hold your breath.
Ignoring the more subtle aspects of games of chance with two games per week you could have to wait over 22,000 years for your purchase. I'm pretty certain that we will have run out of fossil fuels by then even if cryogenics have made you last that long.

Charles

Umm I wonder...who thinks my parents would like living in a Caravan.......??

if achieved This price must be a record for an A7.

I know that donnington were thinking about selling a works twin cam for in the region of 500k

Im going to have a look in my late fathers garage, there might be an old DUCK in there some where..not sure if its on wheels

I would say in this day and age, 500K for a Twin Cam would be an absolute bargain.
Its like Remus selling for 850K that is one hell of a lot of motor car and history for your money.

I am not insinuating that I could afford either but in comparison with the cost of other cars with less history I think it would be reasonable.

After a recent poll on the VSCC website there would be a lot of people willing sell their children/parents/granparents into slavery for the Twin cam!

It's only possible to know if it's reasonably priced if you have that sort of money to spend...

DO YOU, MR TROLL UP

Ben,

Is that Tony Trollup who reputedly was guilty of
"accusing Australians of being braggarts" after we kindly let him visit us.

Tony

Sorry Tony.

I am busy watching the Cricket

LOOOOOSERS OH what was the Rugby score.

Only banter

you are nice and toasty we are freeeezin

cheers

Ben

Ben,

Don't mention the cricket (or the world cup or tennis) - we have not been having a good time lately. Still it is as you say warmer - got to be some consolation.
I want the rain to stop though - going to have a hood bag made for the Chummy tomorrow in preparation for some dry motoring.

Tony.

Attended a fascinating day at the country town of Ballarat, Victoria, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the last International Race Meeting held on the Ballarat Airfield.
The final day was timed sprint. Performing extremely well was the amazing Duck Racer - still for sale and I think a much better investment than a very mixed up (both gramatically and mechanically) Ulster recently mentioned.

Tony.

Purely on an historical note - if I recall correctly someone above mentioned there were three "Ducks" built (too lazy to look if amended). There were actually four. I think they were first nicknamed "Dutch Clogs" but the Rubber Ducks title seemed to stick longer. When the factory decided to stop racing them the cars were offered to Austin dealers, thus the South African and New Zealand Ducks. The latter ended up there because at the time NZ was a Duty-free port, whereas Australia wasn't, so the Oz dealers couldn't afford to accept this car when offered to them first. Again historically, when George Smith brought the car over to race in the Jubilee Grand Prix at Victor Harbour, South Australia (later historians called this an Australian Grand Prix because the latter wasn't officially held that year, but I'm not sure that should be correct), Smith had trouble negotiating the sharp hairpin. He complained to Doug Head who "quickly offered to have a drive" to ascertain why. He realised that the car, being built for such places as Brooklands, didn't have enough turning circle for tight road circuits, so they "modified" the rear of the fairing over the front axle with an axe! I thought this tale rather far-fetched when Head told me, but later acquired several photos showing large dents which proved the point. Some years ago I gave Grant C. copies of these shots for his file on this Duck. Incidentally, Head told me he was doing over 100mph down the straight. It was unfortunate that the blower let go with Smith early in the actual race. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Hello All

The "Duck" is still for sale. Your chance to own a significant piece of Austin racing history.
I am keen to sell hence my price of $200000Au ONO.
Buy it now and you may well get a invite to the Brooklands race at the 2012 Goodwood Revival Meeting.
I competed in 2005 and had a great time ably assisted by John Way.
Cheers
Grant
http://upcreek.com.au/

Given that the Twin Cam has sold for rather more, I suspect the Duck, as a much more useable car, is a bargin.

Steve

Steve,

What did the Twin Cam sell for?

Tony.

Still haven't won the lottery :(

Just spotted this on Flickr, assuming it's the same car.

Austin Seven Supercharged Racer by Austin7nut, on Flickr

Yes that's my car.Its 1949 and Ron Roycroft is driving the "Duck" at Paekakariki Hill Climb just north of Wellington. He set FTD and broke the open record on the last run of the day.
Grant

In my opinion this 'Dutch Clog' (Duck) is a grand and quite original works Austin 7 racing car and much more 'seveny' than the Twin Cam (although the twin cam is a brilliant piece of engineering).

No connection other than as an interested bystander.

Tony.