Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
I like to strip in front of friends!

Saturday, 9 friends help to strip a Ruby and Pearl Cabriolet, 4 1/2 hours later both are ready to be welded up and prepared for painting. Many hands make light work, thanks guys!

Prior to strip down it looked like this..

Photobucket

Then the Glasgow Mafia arrived...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: I like to strip in front of friends!

Looks great fun

Ruairidh,
There's always one awkward screw isn't there (the patent plate)
Cheers,
Dave.

You are The Master Detective Dave, well spotted!

The welding is going to take another couple of hours

Stripping is the easy bit, bet it takes longer to put it back together, several years in many cases.
Vince leek

Now there is a challenge Vince! Watch this space...

Peering hard at the paint layers, was it originally an all black car?

No Ivor ,but it was Blue when I bought it in 1968.Bill Sheehan and I put it back on the road in less than a week I seem to recall,back in 1977, from much the same condition as shown in Saturdays photos.It's being so cheerful as keeps you going Vince.

Come to think of it there's a photo on this Forum last Nov2nd.of it in all it's former glory,taken in the Lakes in 1968/9?

Last time I saw the car Andy Sherlock was driving it and had gaffer taped every single part that squeaked or rattled including every one of the instrument glasses!!

Ahhhh, Gaffer Tape, you've got to love it!

Ivor,

photo of the car in 1968...

Photobucket

Ah, that's brilliant Ruairidh and Ian...1968, I was still driving my first seven then...a 1936 Ruby in Lotus colours, green body with yellow wheels and had the same colour scheme on my Super Sportsman, insured with Clover Leaf insurance (as it was a special) for £28 a year...aah, takes yer back doesn't it!

Progress to date.

Taken up to Goodwell body shop last Friday, work started on Sunday

Stripping back to see the extent of damage (looks to have been quite a bit of welding done in 1977/78 when last worked on by Peter Blackburn)...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jig to stop the body flexing too much...

Photobucket

New metal going in...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hi Ruairidh, Rapid progress indeed! In the early eighties John Fitch & I put my '36 tourer together (mostly John) in 6 weeks from a pile of bits. Some said it was a shame we hadn't taken 7!! Good luck. Steve

More work, less body!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Excellent, there's some serious fabrication going on there...it should last another 70 odd years when it's finished.

I hope you've got plenty of gas and wire!

Behold the rot that is the driver's side!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

New driver's side floorpan and sill...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's mid-boggling to any Antipodean that so much rust can occur in your climes. As Ian said, after Pete Blackburn restored & painted the cabby, we put it back together in a hurry and I'd venture to say that if that had been done in most parts of Australia, the car would still be in good condition. I for one appreciate what pain and expense you UK people go through to maintain your family pet. Cheers, Bill in Oz

It's had a hard life Bill, many, many miles under it's belt. Using it all year in Scotland has meant that it's been exposed to a lot of salt in the winter which I suspect is the main cause of the problem.

Have you a photo of the inside of that caravan? It looks too short to sleep in. David

David,

I have but they are not suitable for a public forum such as this!!

I am near enough 6' 4" and I have slept in it many times along with my wife (who is much smaller) and more recently our daughter (smaller still) on a small (could it be anything else!) shelf.

I will try and find some photos for you.

OMG What's stopping the jack from coming through the roof? Surely will be lovely when she is finished. Could be finished just in tome for another special event. And I thought mine needed some tidying.
Pears forever!!

Not tablet time already nurse

Bart,

I've always been able to make people who are unhappy about the condition of their car feel so much better, I'm glad that you have also been able benefit! Another happy customer...

By the way Bart, a "pendant of pears" now there's a thought!

More work done, new seat base (beefed up for my hu-jarse!!), wheel arch and the new door with reconditioned door hinges (by Willie McKenzie)...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Obviously it's now Special's class or" Do not judge".

Always been in a "special" class of my own Steve, you, of all people, should know that!

Bought the Haynes upholstery book you suggested, very useful, cheers!

XX! S

Repair to top of door (see before and after photos), to door catch/buffer and battery box...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Picture 3

ITS YOU...

WHEN DID YOU REMOVE UR BEARD?

I too would like to know more about the caravan. Have you managed any of the big hills of Scotland? How is the towbar fitted? Is the caravan independantly braked? Any interior pics would be interesting if you have the time - you do seem to be rather busy at present!!

We have toured most of Britain with it, it's been round Buxton (V. Steep) and over many of the passes in Scotland.

I will look out info and pictures and post under a seperate heading at some point when I have a moment.

Work since last posting has been:

1. Cleaning up and feed upholstery.

Half clean!

Photobucket

Photobucket

2. Repairing dent in Cowl (made by hitting a Pheasant in Glen Isla about 12 years ago).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3. Making up new wood sections from ash to replace rotten frame around rear of car.

Old sections -

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ash plank!!

Photobucket

New bits!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The bodywork is getting there...

Photobucket

Photobucket

My new stainless steel running boards just in view...

Photobucket

Photobucket

About as draftproof as they get...

Photobucket

This is a great thread and Andrew certainly knows how bend a piece of metal!

The upholstery is in surprisingly good condition for a cabby, whereas the Ruby saloons in my experience tend to dry and crack, the Pearls seem to rot and yours looks very sound.

Please keep the thread updated Ruairidh, it's great to see the car taking shape.

The man is a genius with metal!

I was shown your "bucks" last week when up with him, very impressive!

Ruairidh,

It is quite amazing - but you realise it will now weigh twice as much after replacing all the rusty air.

Tony.

Ivor / Ruairidh,

Thanks to you both for your kind words.
The cabby is just about finished, just a few bits to do on the passanges side and then finish off the rear lower panel which needs replacing.

Just wait till you see the next project, a new body for a 1924 chummy.... watch this space (I've already made the floor for it).
Just have to get the hang of posting pictures up which baffles me, it's much easyer to fix a cabby....

Andrew

Going well Ruairidh. As an interesting aside, I have always used ash for reframing but have always found it destroys sharp tools and burns out power tools. I read somewhere recently that Austin used beech as well. Does anyone know about this?

Cooking on gas now...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ruairidh Dunford
The bodywork is getting there...

My new stainless steel running boards just in view...

Very nice, Ruairidh. Are the running boards electrically remote from the rest of the vehicle or will the majority of the Pearl act as a sacrificial anode to the running boards?

Regards, Stuart

Ummmmmm, nope, you've lost me there Stuart....

R, have sent pm so as not to bore everyone else! Regards, Stuart

anne w
I too would like to know more about the caravan. Have you managed any of the big hills of Scotland? How is the towbar fitted? Is the caravan independantly braked? Any interior pics would be interesting if you have the time - you do seem to be rather busy at present!!
can I add myself to the crowd who love the proportions of the caravan?

Stuart,I for one would like to know More of the theory.Don`t keep it a secret from those of us that are not enlightened
Cheers Ian.

Ruairidh,
For someone who likes to strip in front of friends,you are being rather bashful.

Come on,show us you caravan.

Ian (B), It seems to me the Pearl has the potential to become a battery when, in due course, its dissimilar metals are doused in a weak salt solution. It was the combination of stainless and mild steel in electrical contact after all R's hard work that troubled me.
To avoid long expositions, especially as I have only a little knowledge, may I refer you to the book "Rust and Rot" by A T Diamant. Out of print I think but cheaply available, see Amazon, Abe books etc. Strongly recommended to anyone who proposes to drive their car in the wet.

Regards, Stuart

Sorry, Ian, Author is R M E Diamant. Have been reading A T Birmingham's Riley book and brain got scrambled!
Regards, Stuart

Stuart,will the same happen to my alloy bodied special.I have used steel and brass fixings extensivley during the build.I have heard tales of rotting landy bodies,or is this something entirely different.

1 2 3