Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fitting new brake linings

Can anyone tell me.. when rivetting a new set of linings do I need to use some glue as well? I only ask because the ones I've just taken out were done professionally (at Mashlin's) and they were rivetted AND bonded. (Girling steel shoes)

If so, what adhesive/bonding agent would you recommend?

Re: Fitting new brake linings

I predict a varied response to this one!

I have only used bonded linings once and they were done professionally. One lining detached, worked it's way around the inside of the drum, locked the rear wheel and nearly flipped the car over.

I personally have only ever used riveted linings since then, with no problems, I know of many who just bond however and swear by it.

Bonding and rivets will probably appease both schools of thought/experiences etc.

Bonne chance!

The last time I rivetted linings was about 45 years ago when bonding did not exist- at least I don't think so. I did it in darkest Africa, gripping the shoe and liner with mole grips and thumping the rivets in with a punch against a stone! So my guess is that Rivets on their own are OK.

Absolutely 'No'!
Bonded linings are done with special adhesives (Which are not available to you) and cured in an oven.
Careful rivetting is perfectly adequate.
Peter

Thanks for the comments thus far. I'm going to take Peter's advice and forget the glue. I've turned myself a punch & an anvil on the lathe and I will get the Mem'Sahib to give me a hand while I belt them in "good and proper like"

With a bit of luck it will be a "proper job"

I shall update you "drekly"

(sorry for the vernacular - just been watching Doc Martin)

Hi Reckless,
I agree with Peter. Always have riveted myself. First on a 11 traction when 14 years old with old style hollowed brass rivets. Later with steel pop rivets.
Always with perfectly good results.
I would find riveting & gluing like "ceinture ET bretelles" (belt & braces?) so somewhat redundant?

Merci mon pôte. Je te dois un 'pastaga'
Tchin!

renaud
Hi Reckless,
I agree with Peter. Always have riveted myself. First on a 11 traction when 14 years old with old style hollowed brass rivets. Later with steel pop rivets.
Always with perfectly good results.
I would find riveting & gluing like "ceinture ET bretelles" (belt & braces?) so somewhat redundant?

As Henry Fonda in Once upon a time in the west said "How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."

I only ever wear braces these days. Can't buy good ones in NZ (as well as many other things - the national trend is for cheap not quality!) so I get mine from England. Actually made in England too! Would you trust the Chinese to hold your trousers up?

Anyway, back to brakes, I also need to rivet the shoes on in my car. Can someone describe exactly how it is done? I have a lathe and can machine up a suitable punch if needed. I was thinking some round bar the size of the rivet head with flats held in a vice I can rest the shoe on that and some kind of punch to flatten the other side with a hammer?

Simon

Hi Simon, its no big deal. Drill out the old rivets, get new linings and rivets, hold on the new linigs on the shoes and check that the holes in the linings match with the holes in the shoes. Start from the middle when rivetting. and for the rest, you ve answered your own questions.
Did it a few times 25 years ago on my bugeyes brake shoes and still alive.

Piet

Hi Simon ,
Thinking back 40 or 50 years , all the brakes I ever re-lined were done with rivets . Usually you got the rivets supplied with the new linings .
The "punch" had a dimple , which helped to splay out the hollow stem of the copper rivet . If you get too heavy handed it is easy to cause the brake shoe to split .
There used to be a hand-press device which was clamped in a vice , making it a one man operation , otherwise it is a 2 "man" job .

Good Luck

Merv

I bought this at a car boot sale in Penrith 20 years ago for 50p...

Photobucket

Great bit of kit that fits under the seat...

Photobucket

This cost a bit more but works very well for clutches...

Photobucket

and I use this for removing the old linings...

Photobucket

An old track rod pin is the perfect fit for the head of an A7 lining rivet, fitted into a suitable anvil hole or similar in conjunction with a straight (girling shoes) or dog-legged (austin shoes) rivet punch works very well also.

My front ones are ready to go. Rears can wait till I redo the back end. The new shoes came with rivets. I did find this online: http://www.orbitform.com/modules.php?name=Pages&sp_id=164

I was going to make a little punch with that profile to use.

I cut an old brake drum in half and welded a plate on to the outer face. The half-drum can then be clamped in to a vice, cut end facing upwards. Sit one of the shoes into the drum and drill through (using one of the rivet holes as a guide). Into this hole fit a cheesehead screw and nut (head on the inside!), with a head the same size as the rivet.

The shoes can then sit neatly in the half drum with the screw bearing against the chosen rivet head leaving both hands free to flare the rivets.

What an ingenious idea Peter!

Ian Mc.

Peter will hate me for saying this but, he is a VERY ingenious man, see: http://www.invermodels.co.uk/