Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A7 Tales & other Snippets - Book

Well, one of the best presents I've received this year is
A7 Tales & Other Snippets (or something like that) by Jen Dunford through the Bristol A7 Club.

There are 201 items - if you include the picture jokes inside the back cover.
All I have to do now is find out who's borrowed it this morning when we had a party of people
from Chapel round for Sherry ('It's 5 o'clock somewhere' - look it up..), to enable me to continue reading it.

Well done Jen, excellent Book...

Details of the Book where in a recent Bristol Club Newsletter according to other sources at home -
(though not the dogs, before somebody says it!!!!).

Re: A7 Tales & other Snippets - Book

Our Club Spares in Melbourne has arranged to stock a few copies through the good efforts of Helen and Michael Shegog (some of you will remember their visit to the Old Dart a few months back), so looking forward to reading it.

Tony

For us poor souls in mild Cornwall,and not members of the BA7c, how could we obtain a copy? Through contact with Ian D. perhaps. Phone number or email address of the supplier would be appreciated.

Brian

Brian,

I'm sure a quick (or lengthy one if you would like to order some spares toooooo) telephone call to Ian D. will elicit the details you require - my understanding is the author resides close by....

If the BA7C wish to advertise one of their members wares on here,
I believe that is for them to do. I'm just a happy reader.
- (and as I'm not at home today, I can't look up the details anyway)

PS - As I've started reading the tales.....
I'm wondering who the poor luckless soul 'Ray' is in various tales....

Mind you my Gran told me I shoudn't tell tales on anybody -
I'm assuming that's not the same as gossip,
the world would be a poorer place without gossip,
it's bad enough when the truth comes out... . .

Many thanks for your kind words, Sandy, glad you're enjoying it.

Austin 7 Anecdotes Published & selling fast!

Over 200 A7 anecdotes and other items of
intrigue, humour, amazement and variety;
a few are even shocking.

A5 publication of 64 pages with numerous illustrations.

£5 each + £1 UK P&P. (Europe £2; NZ/Aussie £2.75 airmail)
Only a limited number – so ensure you have yours before stocks run out.
Signed copies + £2 (optional but all good for the charities).

Proceeds to Cancer Research & Water For All.

Available from
Jen Dunford, 280 Church Rd, Frampton Cotterell, Bristol BS36 2BH.
Cheque payable to J Dunford, please. Advisable to enclose your address and email or phone number in case stocks are depleted.

Hello Jen,
Cheque is on the way, many thanks!!
Brian

The cover and and excerpt ....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hello Jen,
Email sent.
Cheque on the way.

Geoff - relaxing

Sandy Croall
....... Mind you my Gran told me I shoudn't tell tales on anybody -
I'm assuming that's not the same as gossip,
the world would be a poorer place without gossip,
it's bad enough when the truth comes out...

Gossip Non-A7....
Over Christmas we have a few Christmas lights in the Harbour and I'm one of those who looks after the electrics etc., We also have radio contact with each other.. On Dec 19th we shut everything down between 8 - 9pm in memory of all the lost lives in 1981 for the Penlee Lifeboat crew and the Union Star - during that time the 'Lights' crew adjurn to the Ship Inn.

I had to attend a mal-function during this switch-off time. A car came through the pedestrian crowded streets (outside the Ship, you may know that place, Ian and Jen?) without any lights on, so I tapped lightly on the top of the car to draw the drivers attention to the fact they had almost ran me over when I had put my hand out to stop them (and me wearing a Hi-Viz jacket too). They said they had turned them off in respect of the deceased, I told them to get them on before the local policeman saw them.

Back in the Ship, a heavy bloke came in wanting to know which one of the people in Hi-Viz jackets (there wer 14 of us) had smashed the windscreen of his girl-friends car with a radio arial - A quick assesment of the situation meant I put my hand up to say that to my knowledge I had not smashed the window (the alternative was to keep stummmph and then when they finally found out probably be knee-capped, or keel-hauled or something).

I went round to the parents of the car owner and said "meee", they said "don't worry, no problem, there's nothing wrong with the windscreen" !!!!! ... They then said it was the sharp tap on the top of the screen that had 'sounded' like a cracked windscreen.

Back to the Ship to allay gossip and a week later I'm still having fingers pointed at me to say 'you smashed so and so's car window...' etc., - In fact I've now put a big notice up on the village notice board clarifying the situation (but seemingly to no avail)... ... Gossip, much more exciting than the truth.

PS - I still don't know who Ray is......

Sandy, as you will read in anecdote 17, "Ray was a man of small means but big ideas" - that sums him up fairly accurately and makes him easily recognisable as the well-known character that he was.

So sorry to hear that you have been disturbing the peaceful Ship frontage and causing gossip into the bargain ... in true A7nist style!

Jen Dunford
....... sorry to hear that you have been disturbing the peaceful Ship frontage and causing gossip into the bargain ... in true A7nist style!

A few years ago I did a series of 'anicdotes' for the CA7C mag., called 'Tales from the Long Saloon' by RP
(A play on Peter Tinniswood's works), they also come back to haunt me some times, but they are true A7 tales too .....
although I have heard a couple of the tales related as gossip by third parties who were not aware I, listening in a bar*,
was the origin of the tale/gossip - they then said the 'person' was also a serial monogamist ..
- that did not help my domestic life at the time (She knew who they were talking about)...

* I was going to say tea room, but that would be gossip...

Sandy Croall
.... they then said the 'person' was also a serial monogamist ..

Well we remember coming* down to your third wedding... were there many more ?
* but we don't remember leaving..it was a great do..

And the Wedding Car - the Jarmin's lovely Austin London Taxi (1934 'ish)

Algie & Agnes (Happy New Year to you matey).

A typical Tale was :-

6. Tales from a Long Saloon by RP.

I was a member of a number of A7 Groups/Clubs during the 60’s and 'CG' enjoyed attending the events and hill climbs. One hill climb in the early 60's was at Bruton in Somerset as I recall.

On the A303, near Mere, ‘CG’ was overtaken by a Mini 7 with occupants shouting out abuse to all and sundry – this never happened in ‘CG’ (o’ yes!). We saw the mini parked at the hill climb, bonnet up and fumbling greasy hands unable to make the car reach the start line, serves you right I thought.

After the meeting ‘CG’ got away sharpish and we were rolling along, when the mini again overtook us.
‘CG’ was taking a quieter (but straighter) back road I thought I knew avoiding both Salisbury and Andover towards Winchester.

I opened it up a bit and pushed ‘CG’ to follow the mini. I must have been subconsciously influenced by the A7 specials at the hill climb and thought if they can do it so can ‘CG’! The road started to have dips and humps, at one point ‘CG’ came to a bridge rather fast. In fact far to fast as it was a hump backed bridge, the springs bottomed and ‘CG’ flew through the air. Her straight-ahead course was perfectly maintained, unfortunately the road turned sharp left. ‘CG’ landed on the opposite grass verge (or so it seemed), through an open gateway and after some initial bumps? along the furrows of a ploughed field. When a modicum of decorum had returned, the local farmer was found and ‘CG’ pulled backwards out of the field, muddy, shaken, but not stirred. ‘CG’ started on the button and we were off again.

‘CG’ had lost about ½ an hour journey time with this little excursion, so we were surprised to see the mini about 4 miles further on, parked on the verge, bonnet up and lots of sad faces and greasy hands again, our occupants then shouted out abuse to all and sundry as we thought we would never see them again either. I’m sure ‘CG’ smiled too, but then that may have been because I was driving slower… now….!!!

Note ; CG is 'CG 7241' and now called 'Cee Gee'.

The first time Bob And Dave came down from Worcester to The Lamb meeting,they managed to get wihin a quarter mile of Iron Acton,but not realising that there is a 90 degree right hander at this point , the Ruby went straight through the dry stone wall.
When the farmer pulled them out the next morning,he congratulated them,as usually most modern cars didn't get right through the wall at all,and were certainly not driveable.
Bob and Dave got back to Worcester before the pubs closed for lunch.
Tell that to young people today and they wouldn't believe you.

Ian Dunford
The first time Bob And Dave came down from Worcester ....the Ruby went straight through the dry stone wall......

I remember Shamus and Matty decided to cross the border and drive down 'ta Dublin for a meet and some Craic we had in Dublin back in '74.
But the Garda had erected this great 2" thick steel gate across the road by Adavoyle on the A1/M1/N1....

Undeterred they drove on through it, with no apparent damage to their '27 Chummy, bar a few perforations from some 'missiles' the Garda let go.

Shamus and Matty arrived in Dublin an hour early, with the fuel dip stick reading -2 gallons....
Oh, those were the days of care free driving, a pint or three of the best Liffey extracts and great A7 Craic...

Matty still has the car, but no engine now, an alleged Celt from England (...spit V) took it for 'spares' back in '80.
Mind you the 1,000 Euro's helped 'ta seal this deal.

Location: Resident at The Castle Inn, North Main Street, Cork.

To be sure! To be sure! To be sure!

Tony.

Ian Dunford
...... the Ruby went straight through the dry stone wall..

That wouldn't have been a Cornish Hedge then - that would have hurt .. ,
just an ordinary Gloustershire/Avon Stone wall.

Tony, I think Paddy's been at the Liffy juice again - he'll be telling us about the Lepricorns next.

I hope he means this kind of Leprechaun:

http://www.500race.org/index.htm

Orders for A7 Anecdotes book are coming in fast and furious.

Thank you for your orders and cheques - I've just staggered to post box again so all those received to date have been posted.

ENJOY

Julian Hunt
...http://www.500race.org/index.htm

On holiday this year I picked up the Shire Publications book on the 500cc's - 99p!

My father took me regular to Brands Hatch to see them on the old short circuit,
I think we saw them at Crystal Palace too, but this was in the early 50's before my parents divorced.
I know we saw Moss starting a race (with a flag, not racing) just after he won the Mille Miglia in '55,
we also went to Aintree that year to see him win the British Grand Prix, beating Fangio.

All a long time ago..... BTW - Dad supplied the material for Mike Hawthorns suits etc.,
I think that's why we had Grandstand seats
- all stopped in '56 when Mum, me and Sis., moved to Winchester.

Here's me at Brands Hatch (The single decker bus in the backgrouns has 'Brands Hatch Road Circuit' on it).
Don't know what year, but those were the days when access to winning cars was a little easier than now.

Looks like I had my best clothes on too..... and yes I know that's not a 500cc car.

Back to the original thread. My book was delivered today, a great service by the Royal Mail and a great read by the look of it. Many thanks Jen.
Brian

Brian Murrish
Back to the original thread.....

Oh, Brian, there could have been another tale or two in the making there/here or somewhere.......

Location: Lands End, just west of Brian ('cause I can't get any further away..

The BA&C have been in existence a darn sight longer than us here in the CA7C and the anecnotes come thick and fast, but thinking about it, we do probably have enough for at least a small booklet about the antics we lot have been up to.
Now there's a project for you, when you relinquish your Registrar duties, that would be a nice little task for you !!!.
See you tomorrow at our annual dinner I hope, or will you still be suffering from the New Year's celebrations at Mousehole ?
Brian

Sandy
The bus may say Brands Hatch, but I don't think it is. The car is a 1953 spec Tipo 500 Ferrari, the only one in the UK then was owned by Bobbie Baird. It does not look like Silverstone either or Charterhall, very confusing.
Simon Thomas

The circuit may be Boreham.
Simon Thomas