Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bill Williams two seater special

Austin
No problem at all.Just wonder if it is one of the XA series? I know it is not XA 155.
Simon

Hi Peter!!

Yes I remember it, there, but I think you are wrong about the engine. When I remember it, it had,I think, a BMC A series fitted, and it worked, because I remember driving it. (probably illegally)

Sorry about the confusion. I was looking at an ancient copy of the Ulster "Register".
126177 is an unblown 8 stud engine and is not installed in David Howes car.
Davids car has an un-numbered very late production 10 stud blown crankcase.
It does not have an XA number by the oil filler.

Henry Harris
Sorry about the confusion. I was looking at an ancient copy of the Ulster "Register".
126177 is an unblown 8 stud engine and is not installed in David Howes car.
Davids car has an un-numbered very late production 10 stud blown crankcase.
It does not have an XA number by the oil filler.

So the Howe car does not have an engine number? During the 1931 season the entry forms for International races such as the TT required both the engine number and chassis number. These were checked at scrutineering before the race confirming these details and ensuring the specification matched the production models.
How has it been established this engine is a 1931 works engine without a number?
Simon

I took this photo at Shelsley, and I do have copy of a write up that David did of the history of the engine as it passed between cars. It is a photo of the document that was placed with the car at Beauleiu or somewhere. The engine was in the LMW from 57-71. Martin Eyre bought AUY and LMW and put the engine in the chassis.
The story goes that Charles Goodacre identified the engine in 1972 by some additional holes he put in the crankcase.

As a caveat to all this I am no expert on the TT or much else for that matter. I have broken my own rule of never commenting on anything TT related.

Great news about the book Stuart, as soon as you know how much it will be let me know and I will get a cheque in post!

It's a car that was not entered by the works in the 1930 or 1931 season in competition. Pretty simple really.

It has a new body, an unnumbered engine and a questionable chassis. How from that can anyone conclude that it is a 1931 Works Car?

A bitsa at best.

Scott

Gentlemen
There will be no further comments from Ulster on this thread or the subject as it has developed.
Simon

I am constantly amazed how both sides of this ongoing vexed argument state so their facts so categoricaly- if they were there during the 20's and 30's they must be going on 100 - and probably senile

Tony.

In June 1936 Alf Depper purchased from the factory an Ulster Chassis No:-XE 1030, with Body No:-2031 and Engine No:-XE 25. [ Engine No:-XE 25 having replaced the unnumbered Engine which Bill Williams subsquently used in the LMW special ].
Engine No:-XE 25,was changed to an eight stud unblown Ulster Engine No:-126177.
In 1976 Wayne Styles from Melbourne Australia purchased the car.

In my post of Feb 20th, It should have read " Chassis No:-XE 1030,with Car No:-XE 2031,and Engine No:-XE 25." Not Body No:-2031, Sorry.

Ian Moore
In June 1936 Alf Depper purchased from the factory an Ulster Chassis No:-XE 1030, with Body No:-2031 and Engine No:-XE 25. [ Engine No:-XE 25 having replaced the unnumbered Engine which Bill Williams subsquently used in the LMW special ].
Engine No:-XE 25,was changed to an eight stud unblown Ulster Engine No:-126177.
In 1976 Wayne Styles from Melbourne Australia purchased the car.

Are you saying David Howe has cloned this car?

David Howe's car is Chassis No:-130185. a 1930/31 TT Chassis.
It is NOT Chassis No;-XE 1030. the 1935 chassised Ulster that Wayne Styles purchased in 1976.
It can be seen from Henry Harris's list that Chassis No;-130185. is Car No:-B3-3260. a Non supercharged chassis [Less Unit] sent to Mr Abrahams at the London Depot on the 4th November 1930.This chassis was probabely used on one of the 1931 Team Cars.
Chassis No;-XE 1030,comes after Chassis No:-XE 1026 a 1935 Grasshopper BOA 59 a Le Mans Car which is Car No:-XE 2027 add four and you arrive at Chassis No:-XE 1030 and Car No:-XE 2031.both 1935.
The answer to your question is NO,but I believe TWO different Cars!

Presumably we have 2 cars with the same registration number? or have I missed something.......

Ian Moore
David Howe's car is Chassis No:-130185. a 1930/31 TT Chassis.
It is NOT Chassis No;-XE 1030. the 1935 chassised Ulster that Wayne Styles purchased in 1976.
It can be seen from Henry Harris's list that Chassis No;-130185. is Car No:-B3-3260. a Non supercharged chassis [Less Unit] sent to Mr Abrahams at the London Depot on the 4th November 1930.This chassis was probabely used on one of the 1931 Team Cars.
Chassis No;-XE 1030,comes after Chassis No:-XE 1026 a 1935 Grasshopper BOA 59 a Le Mans Car which is Car No:-XE 2027 add four and you arrive at Chassis No:-XE 1030 and Car No:-XE 2031.both 1935.
The answer to your question is NO,but I believe TWO different Cars!

Why does David Howe then say that his car is the chassis with the XE prefix if it is not?

Chassis 130185 would be in the chassis run for April 1931 in the Ledgers. Why would it have been assigned that number in Nov 1930 before the number even existed in the Ledger records?

Will you all stop behaving like spoilt little girls and let us enjoy our Austin Sevens in peace
enough is enough have`nt we done this one to death in a previous posting lets move on, and enjoy the 90th anniversary

Glynn.

You are correct both cars have been registered with the same registration number AUY496.
The Orginal Car Chassis No:-XE 1030 was registered on the 30th June 1936 that Car was purchased by Wayne Styles in 1976 and exported to Australia.
On the 30th May 1984 DVLA records show that an application was made to re-issue the Registration number AUY496 to a Second Car which the DVLA records show as " Austin A30 Seven,Sports"
The Austin Seven Clubs Association Surviving Chassis Register shows the Second Car to have Chassis No:-130185 Engine No:-126177 and Car No:-2033. It is clear that the Engine No:126177 is incorrect as that engine, I understand remains with the Orginal Car Chassis No;XE 1030.The Second Car has NO Engine No.

Charles Onslow-Newton.

I think it is contended that although the Chassis is numbered 130185 [Thus retaining the 1931 provenance]it was subsquently issued with a new chassis identification plate,when it left the factory in 1936.
In "Story of a TT" Austin Seven Clubs Association Publication No:-2007B the first two lines explain the theory.It could also as easily have been 4th November 1931 the ledger says " 4.11 ".

David sorry:-Jon.

1942,views,may I suggest in the nicest possible way,DON'T OPEN,others believe the history of our cars is important especially in the 90th year.

Ian Moore
Charles Onslow-Newton.

I think it is contended that although the Chassis is numbered 130185 [Thus retaining the 1931 provenance]it was subsquently issued with a new chassis identification plate,when it left the factory in 1936.
In "Story of a TT" Austin Seven Clubs Association Publication No:-2007B the first two lines explain the theory.It could also as easily have been 4th November 1931 the ledger says " 4.11 ".

So where is chassis 130185 now?

David Howe also claimed at one point to have had chassis 130186...where did that go?

Ian, we are, as the site says Friends,this post is openly dividedly points of view, lets just drop the title tatle. of who says what!!!!!!we can`nt relive 50 years ago, let`s please move on.....................

Jon - it's very easy to say let's all drop the subject and move on, but the next owner after Wayne Styles (John Hugh in Belgium) couldn't sell the Ulster because it's registration and history had been applied to another car, thus taking away not only it's value but it's provenance. Are you also willing to contact John Hugh and tell him to forget about it? I like most owners am interested in Austin Seven history but history has to be fact - it appears that history has been interfered with here and if so shouldn't be just swept under the floor carpets. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill Sheehan.

Bill,
Thanks for your support and posting,I was begining to think I was on my own,and about to be censored by an anonym [by the name of no email JON].
Although I do sympathize with his sentiments,if he has no interest in actual History.
My posts are the recorded facts,NOT title tattle.

IAN, I am very much alive, and I do not hide behind anything or any body, I am know to the MANageMENT, and a lot of the other subscribers to this site

Charles Onslow-Newton.

Henry Harris's List shows:-

Chassis No:-130185 as a Non Supercharged Chassis.
Chassis No:-130186 as a Supercharged Chassis.
Chassis No:-130187 as a Supercharged Chassis.

As many will know Chassis No:-130187 is TT Ulster
Registration Number GW 82.

Jon - I'm sure you would have much more credence if you had the intestinal fortitude to identify yourself & from whence you come like almost everybody else does. For all we know you could even be the owner of the fake-history car attempting to put the matter to rest? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill, I`m sorry you have taken this stance !
unlike yourself i`ve only been on the scene since the early 70s and have a 32`RN Box 33`Bill Williams Cambridge Special and a AAK 4str Open Tourer,
Hope these credentials are in order

Ian Moore
Charles Onslow-Newton.

Henry Harris's List shows:-

Chassis No:-130185 as a Non Supercharged Chassis.
Chassis No:-130186 as a Supercharged Chassis.
Chassis No:-130187 as a Supercharged Chassis.

As many will know Chassis No:-130187 is TT Ulster
Registration Number GW 82.

Ian thank you for that. Do you know if the 130185 and 186 chassis still exist today?

The car that bears the registration GW 82...It no longer has it's original chassis frame, It also does not carry a works engine or original body...given this how can it be called a genuine works TT car when none of the major parts of the car where in place during the 1930/31 season?

I very much doubt if David Howe's AUY496 and GW 82 were combined that they could even come close to all the genuine period parts for one of the 1930/31 team cars.

The deceit of others should not be allowed to alter the true factual evidence of history.

The people that run this site have been talking about this thread and have come to a conclusion.

If you do not include an email address that you can be contacted on the post will be deleted. No options, if you can't stand by what you are writing in a public place then you probably shouldn't be saying it in public at all.

I do not want to delete the thread as there are good (and some bad) points raised.

As for the cars, you show me a car that has a continuous 80 year competition and development history that is 100% original. You can't because it's not possible, things break and get replaced. If you read reports from Brooklands at the time the cars broke all the time because it was so rough.

There are thoughts that the only bits that remained from race to race were the bodies, when you have a full production line at your disposal why risk re-using worn out bits? The TT bodies that do exist, the Canadian one and my dad's show huge amounts of cracking to the aluminium and have steel plates added to strengthen them.

If you want to see continuous racing histories I suggest you look at all of the ERA's to start with... Romulus (R2B) in particular.

The point being made here is that the car or cars in question cannot legitimately claim to be Actual Works TT Cars when they don't actually contain the constituent parts that were on a car entered by the works during the 1930/31 seasons.

Race entry forms required chassis no and engine no.

AUY 496 has an unnumbered engine therefore cannot have been entered in any International Race meeting by the Austin Works. To claim it is as being from a 1931 team car is incorrect as there is no evidence whatsoever to support those claims.

How can people be so sure that Charles Goodacre drove this car in specific events when nobody knows what the entered chassis number or details of his car was?

If this car was an Alfa Romeo or Bugatti it would have long ago been dismissed as a fake based on the actual facts (or lack of any evidence to support its owners claims). Why is this behaviour acceptable in the Austin Seven community?

So how many bits on Romulus haven't been replaced over the last 80 years? I would guess that a fair amount has been. It becomes Trigger's broom, 15 new heads and 12 new handles, it's still his broom though.

David's has always described his car as the development ulster, I haven't heard him saying that it was definitely entered in any races or describe it as a team car, whatever that means. I think it was entered into a couple of smaller events.

Goodacre himself identified the engine not the car, I believe it was nicknamed "blaster" or something similar.

There are plenty of dodgy Bugattis out there, the one that was pulled out of the lake has the same chassis number as one in Japan...

It can't be a fake as all the bits were made by the Austin company, with the exception of the replacement body.

Thank you for putting an email address on.

Austin Harris.

Austin,
I think the idea that "if you do not include an email address that you can be contacted on the post will be deleted" is good one. Would it not be possible to make it impossible to post until you use a pre-registered email address?
I trust the system would also include people known to the MANageMENT!!

Austin Harris
So how many bits on Romulus haven't been replaced over the last 80 years? I would guess that a fair amount has been.

Refer to Romulus' specific history.
Austin Harris

David's has always described his car as the development ulster, I haven't heard him saying that it was definitely entered in any races or describe it as a team car, whatever that means. I think it was entered into a couple of smaller events.

Please read... http://www.zbp.co.uk/pdf/jul08.pdf

from the article:

"It was run by the Austin Works in the team for the 1931 TT race in Aras, Belfast, the 1931 Irish Grand Prix and the 1931 Double Twelve at Brooklands."

He has provided no evidence to back up this claim.

Austin Harris

It can't be a fake as all the bits were made by the Austin company, with the exception of the replacement body.

Of course it can still be a fake even if all the bits came from the Austin motor company. The car is not what he says it is. Therefore it is a fake.

I don't know the specific history of Romulus.

I hadn't seen that before about the history of AUY, if as you say all entrants had to give chassis and engine number for any race it should be fairly easy to find the documents, that would fairly quickly end a fair few arguments, (and open a few more cans of worms I think.)

We will probably have to agree to disagree about the definitions, I think you have to look at the car first not the claims.

Jenks' definitions are very good, I posted them here on another forum talking about a similar topic.

Austin, I've seen Mr Jenkins' definitions before but, I still think that they are unbeatable.

Ian Mc.

Austin Harris & Charles Onslow-Newton.

Surely from a Historical point of view, as you say

Quote:- "David has always described his car as the Development Ulster"

You are correct but that Quote should read "Cars"

Chassis No:-XE 1030 was sold to Wayne Styles in 1976 it was taxed, Mot'd and supplied with it's Green Logbook showing it had been first Registered
30-6-1936

Chassis No;-130185[ using Chassis No:-XE 1030 and Engine No:-XE 25] was first Registered 30-5-84 and was restored between 2001-2004.

Both Cars have the same Registration No:-AUY 496.
Both Cars purport to have the same History.

In the case of Chassis No:- XE 1030,this is set out in the Austin Seven Owners Club [London]The Journal of August 1975 Number 3.

In the case of Chassis No:-130185 this is set out
in the Austin Seven Clubs' Association publication
2007B.
I believe that the Car that was registered first is the Development Ulster, without it's Works Development Engine and that engine is now in Chassis
No:-130185 or 130186

Ian,Austin,
Happy to oblige Jon

Surely Remus (R5B) would have been a better choice of ERA? Romulus sat immobile for many years until Bill Morris took him in hand.
Remus has a much more active history.
Sorry for the thread drift, but it has drifted from the Bill Williams car anyway!

Austin Harris
I don't know the specific history of Romulus.

Hi When I brought my ulster it had a brass plaque on the dash saying it had run in the Brooklands 500 !!! It was the first thing to come off the car when I got home. (it is still on the shed wall).
Andrew

Charles Onslow-Newton
If you want to see continuous racing histories I suggest you look at all of the ERA's to start with... Romulus (R2B) in particular.

The point being made here is that the car or cars in question cannot legitimately claim to be Actual Works TT Cars when they don't actually contain the constituent parts that were on a car entered by the works during the 1930/31 seasons.

Race entry forms required chassis no and engine no.

AUY 496 has an unnumbered engine therefore cannot have been entered in any International Race meeting by the Austin Works. To claim it is as being from a 1931 team car is incorrect as there is no evidence whatsoever to support those claims.

How can people be so sure that Charles Goodacre drove this car in specific events when nobody knows what the entered chassis number or details of his car was?

If this car was an Alfa Romeo or Bugatti it would have long ago been dismissed as a fake based on the actual facts (or lack of any evidence to support its owners claims). Why is this behaviour acceptable in the Austin Seven community?

i agree its nice to now a true history of influencial race cars.

but charles i think you might be going to far to say it should be stripped.

what would happen to the parts (perhaps put them on the shelf as collectables).bit of a waste.

it could even be if the owner wanted to sell the car.he could strip it himself and get you sports boys argueing over who`s going to pay the most for original sports parts

tony

C harles O nslow N ewton

- - -

????????????????????????????????

Ian,

David Howe previously said that the number on the chassis he claimed was 130186 could not be seen, how could he be sure that it was in fact this chassis?

Have you seen a chassis with 130185 or 186 stamped on it?

Chales Onslow-Newton,

Chassis No:-130185 is quoted from the Austin Seven Surviving chassis Register.[My copy is May 2005 edtion
I have just checked the Austin Seven Clubs Association web site and the entry has not changed and that is dated as issued 1st September 2009.The club reference is 19.which is Pre-War A7 Club.
In your post of 25th Feb @ 10.52PM you suggested that Chassis No:- 130186 had been claimed. I don't know where this comes from.

ben marchant
C harles O nslow N ewton

- - -

????????????????????????????????

Who the hell is Charles Onslow Newton???

Out of the wood a new Austin 7 expert?
He looks a nasty piece of s.. who has a grundge against D Howe.
Is he by any chance the owner of this replica car which featured in the Automomile last year?

Ian Moore - Thankyou again.

On this forum David Howe posted on June 10, 2009 at 10.55am the following:

"In 1970 I bought a kit of UNRELATED mostly Ulster parts which included chassis no 130186 and the reg document for AUY 496....A friend expressed an interest in the chassis which was out of true so I used another when rebuilding the car. The no on this chassis was obscured. "

So where has this chassis gone???

In an attempt to stay awake for the next enthralling episode,I am now about to set fire to my trousers.

Ben Marchant

Ben,
I don't agree with anyone NOT identifying themselves when they post,I also understand your opinion.

However there has been some useful Historical information posted.Both cars are Important.

From a Historical point of view which ever Chassis No:-130185 or 130186 the 1931 TT is it can not be Chassis No:-XE 1030 which is 1935/6, and that car was exported to Australia in 1976.

Ian Moore - And Wayne Styles still has the documentation to prove it. On another tack, I'm pleased the MANageMent has finally disallowed anonymous contributions. When I challenged someone recently to reveal himself all he did was supply a list of the Sevens he allegedly owns, but wasn't willing to let us know WHO he was. Not a very honest reply, in my humble opinion. Please keep up the great historical work I know you've put into Sevens, as thanks to forums such as Friends we seem to learn more and Moore every week!! Cheers, Bill in Oz

Ian Moore

Agree entirely with what you are saying re XE 1030.

However there is a question over 130185 & 130186 as they appear to have been erased in order for someone to claim XE1030 in the UK from 1984 onwards. Where are those frames now?

Was it Martin Eyre who obtained the re registration of AUY496 in 1984?? What information could he have used to claim this car if the original log book and frame etc went to Australia??

Bill, I have identified myself, by way of listing my email address,if that is not suffisiant, for you I will email you directly............
Jon

1 2