Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Those darned elusive chassis numbers

I was under the impression that IF a alphanumeric Chassis number was stamped on the chassis, it would be Cxxxxx.

When I updated the original article here from the ‘Grey Book 1990A, by - Phil Baildon for the A7CA's web site, nobody has raised any query on the Chassis Numbers nomlecture.

You should be able to find the number 32xxx as per Fig.8 in the above article. I have view on what has happened, thus why you have a A5 xxxx number stamped to the front of the Chassis rail, which is in fact the Austin's own Ledger 'Car No'. not the VIN number the DVLA think they are getting. However be advised there are a few A7's out there where the V5C gives the VIN No. as say for example B9-3708 not 190,000.

However - Get out Clause, there are some strange goings on in 1927 and it seems some of the Chassis that went to Coach Builders may have had different numbers applied to them - I can't find the reference to this at present but I do recall a conversation back in 2004 about this. However that will have to wait as I'm trying to do another, unrelated, project at present - I'm on lunch break...

EDIT - I should read my own quoted reference, I see half way down page two it states..
'The prefix CH A1 appears to have been added to bare chassis for a few coachbuilt models in the 20’s.
CH A1-4189 on a 1927 Van; CH A1-6664 and 9273 are on 1927 Mulliners (A7CA
Register)
Finally, never assume the log book was correctly or completely filled out by the LVLO
Council clerk; or that the sequence of production matched the registered number
sequence.

But NOTE - A1 xxxx, there would have to 40,000+ chassis' to private coach builders to reach A4 xxxx.

I have checked the location (figure 8 in the 'Always quote this number') and where Sandy suggests the 32xxx number should be is the exact position of Car No. number/digit A4***5. No other numbers visible so I will just have to scrape off the paint at the other location!

Musing out loud - two things, if the A4***5 Car No. is all that remains/is visible on my chassis would that be enough evidence to support an application for the chassis number quoted on the Austin Chassis Register, and does the vehicle shown on the Chassis Register still exist I wonder?

Hmmm

Well according to the DVLA web site at here the car was last active on the DVLA database in 1997.

As there's no asterisk in the first column on the A7CA's Register, that Reg No. and Chassis is alive somewhere, at least without ploughing through thousands of records, one of the Clubs has advised me it belongs to one of it's members.

PLEASE NOTE EVERYBODY - I have no details of any owners of A7's WHATSOEVER OK, got it!!!!

Barry, one assumes you are using the services of a DVLA approved Adjudicator within one of the A7 Club's. All as described in the V765/1 form here

Sandy (and others) - I would doubt that the "A1" number would have been stamped at the factory Originally in normal practice, as once the complete Seven was road-tested okay only then was the Car Number (including engine, gearbox, diff etc) allocated in the Office. If the road test showed up a problem with say the engine & it had to be replaced with another, the Car number only then was allocated along with the final details. It could be that someone has stamped the "A1" in later to assist registration??, as I've never seen a 1927 chassis that didn't have a chassis number stamped on the top left rail next to front engine mount, or any chassis stamped with a Car Number. The examples you gave (Van, Mulliner) may support the outside Coach-built theory). Some 1929 chassis appear to have not been stamped up front at all, but otherwise the stamped chassis number (along with the stencilled number on the rear crossmember) was utilized from the start up to the introduction of the Ruby-type models. (The latter were fitted with a rivetted plate into which the chassis number was stamped). With the early Pramhoods, the Chassis number was also stamped on the rear crossmember along with the Engine number and the Body number, but not the Car Number. This rear-xmember stamping was discontinued late-'26, early-'27. I think that it was at the same time that the style & size of the figures also changed on the stancils. Hope I haven't confused. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Barry,

Are you sure the number stamped on the chassis isn't 44***5 not A4***5?

Chassis No 44***5 would be around July/September 1927 with a Car No between A3**** and A5****

Tony.

Thanks for the comments above,Sandy, Bill, Tony - I'll check that number in a good light, with a torch. Sandy, no assumption on my part that you have nothing better to do than look up owners details, but having said that, thanks for the information that a car exists. Having negotiated the murky waters of registering the Austin Beaufort special I was hoping this project might be less nefarious!!

Spring-like Sussex

Barry,

The capital letters re. owners was not aimed at you at all, honestly, but you would be surprised at the number of calls I get where they expect, almost insist, I have that information ready to hand..

Anyway good luck with your searches...