Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wear on rear leaf springs

I have removed the nearside rear spring from my Ruby based special, with a view to replacing both springs; I have discovered that what I took to be a depression, caused by wear on the longest leaf, appears to be very regular in shape. I am now wondering if this lower area was made as part of the original manufacturing process? There does not seem to be much wear on other leaves and the bushes show no slackness. Before ordering new springs I would appreciate your comments please.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Wear on rear leaf springs

Its wear

As Alan says ,they are badly worn.
I have new Ruby springs in stock,but as you have a spcial,you may find that a pair of Sports springs are more suitable for your car. I have these in stock as well.
You can phone me if you would like further advice.

Ian Dunford

once you have got your new springs , May I recommend what I did.Having got them from Ian many years ago. I lubricated them well , wrapped them in a "spring tape" I think it was called Drevo and treated my self to some leather spring gaiters. A recent inspection showed almost as new. I would add the car has done several thousand miles with them.

Mac
once you have got your new springs , May I recommend what I did.Having got them from Ian many years ago. I lubricated them well , wrapped them in a "spring tape" I think it was called Drevo and treated my self to some leather spring gaiters. A recent inspection showed almost as new. I would add the car has done several thousand miles with them.

Hugh.
With apologies to Mac, unless you are independently wealthy I would forget the leather gaiters ans just apply a layer of this to well greased springs, wrapped on with a 50% overlap. After a couple of years it will have assumed the colour of old leather anyway.

N.B. I have no connection with the suppliers in the link but, they are the cheapest that I could find anywhere.

Ian Mc.

If you wrap your springs with Denso tape and, with rubber gloved hand,smooth them out, they can be set out in the Florida sun for a week or two. They will dry up nicely on the outside and can be painted.

If this requires a trip to Florida, well so be it. If you have to you have to. Just suck it up and order your tickets.

The car deserves nothing less.

Thank you.

That is bad wear! When assessing the rear springs it is also important to measure the camber angle ( distance from line across top of spring and through centre line of spring pin hole.) Ian will remind us what it is? Mine were set up but I dont recall the measurement

Camber is measured from the BOTTOM of the main leaf to the centre of the rolled eye. For rear springs this is usually between 2.1/2" and 6.1/2".

Ian, or indeed anyone.

What should the rear spring camber be for a 1930 chummy, last of the ali bodied ones with a shorter rad?

A search so far on these pages reveals
- the above quote
- 6 1/2 max
- about double that (3inch) for rears

I guess somewhere in the region of 6 inches wouldn't be far away, but it would be nice to find a tried and tested setting.

We have a pair of new springs currently set to the 8 1/8 inches quoted by the Companion, and capability in house to reset to whatever is right. But we would like to do it only once!

Many thanks in advance.

Hedd,The Companion is wrong. See Bill in Oz's post some time ago. Camber for a 1930 Chummy rears should be around 6".

hi all.
i think you will find ian is about right.
my measurements for rear springs are as follows.

low frame ruby 3 1/4inch +or- 1/8
sports 2inch +or- 1/8 both with or without zinc shims
high frame tall rad 5 1/4inch +or- 1/4
short radiators 6 1/4inch +or- 1/4

i have no measurements for pre 1926 they could also be 6 1/4inch unless anyone knows for definate.

i think the measurement in doug woodrow are simular.

Many thanks both.