Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1933 RP De Luxe Saloon

Stuart & Jon

Very many thanks for your replies. Very helpful.

I like this site.

Paul

Hi Paul, I agree with the other replies so far. 3) I think black down to the waistline including the bonnet top is correct.
I have used Vintage Car Insurance Associates, 124, High St, Godstone, Surrey RH9 8DX very happily for over 35 years. They do not insure anything newer than 1948 and are friendly and helpful. Phone them on 01883 744040.
Welcome back to the Austin Seven World but how did you manage to stay away for over 30 years!!
Steve

Many thanks for that Steve. Much appreciated.

The special had to be sold (to Germany as it happened)
upon me inheriting a steam roller a week after my 18th birthday back in 1975. The support I have received after only one days ownership makes me agree with your thoughts. How did I last so long.........

Thanks again.
Paul

I think you'll find the top of the bonnet is Blue in your case, the same colour as below the waist band, and indeed up the front window frame as well, plus the whole dashboard area. Inside the Engine compartment was black, and of course there's a fine light blue line(s) along the waistband.

See this earlier post on the Forum.

Algie

Paul, I think you'll find Algernon is correct regarding the blue bonnet top, check out the RP Pinterest site for reference pix!

http://pinterest.com/ivor383/austin-seven-rp-saloons/

Algernon & Ivor

Many thanks for your comments.

I was warned this may happen. Different answers to the same question, at least regarding the colour.

Looks like I may not be getting my preferred choice of black over blue which to my untrained eye looks right.

One other question is that should the scuttle vents on a De Luxe model be a chromed or painted finish ? Again, I've seen both options in photographs.

Thanks Again
Paul

De-luxe letterboxes are body colour.

Re. top of bonnet etc., Unless your intending to exhibit at shows as an 'original' car, does it really matter, it's your car.

Congratulations with the purchase Paul.I'm with algernon with the paintwork,it's your car so do it to your taste and not to please anyone else.when I restored my car I polished the brass vents,if you want to use them and there painted they can soon start to look scruffy if they start to chip and scratch if there not etched right, again it's down to your own tastes.

Thanks Mark.

Chuffed to bits with her to be honest. She's all black at the moment but was originally two-tone blue/black.
I've seen a couple of pics of ones with blue sides & black bonnet tops with the colours following the swage lines and that seems to work for me. I will I think have the chrome vents painted so they don't catch the eye so much. We will see.

Insurance sorted this morning with RH. £59- fully comp with recovery. Can't be bad.

Thanks for everyones help to date. Much Appreciated.

Paul

Here's how the DeLuxe Blue over black paintwork should look Paul...should you want to go for the original look though it should be pinstriped along the waistline swage to be really accurate.

Personally, I think they look great all black and they are quite rare all one colour these days!

Algernon Brewster
I think you'll find the top of the bonnet is Blue in your case, the same colour as below the waist band, and indeed up the front window frame as well, plus the whole dashboard area. Inside the Engine compartment was black, and of course there's a fine light blue line(s) along the waistband.

See this earlier post on the Forum.

Sorry Paul, yes Algernon is quite correct, I'm not. Certainly not 'in vino veritas'; I think I had one glass too many!
Steve

Algie

I now understand the original colour details and I now need to decide which direction to go with it.

In reading previous threads on this forum, I have seen much mention of "The Austin Source Book". Should I be looking to acquire one for reference purposes and is it still in print? I see Ebay has two, one @ £85- plus P&P
and the other (First Edition) @ £350-.

Any advice ?

Thanks
Paul

I would suggest that Rinsey Mills book, Original Austin Seven, might be of more practical interest to you at this stage of your rebuild. You can get for about £20 from The Seven Workshop on 01225 868696.

Ruairidh Dunford
I would suggest that Rinsey Mills book, Original Austin Seven, might be of more practical interest to you at this stage of your rebuild. You can get for about £20 from The Seven Workshop on 01225 868696.

Hello

I agree. Ordered one yesterday.

Thanks in anycase.
Paul

I've got a standard 33 RP and have just added another difference between it and the de-luxe apart from things like sun roof, blind and chromed lights...... mine doesn't come with a sleeping lady in the passenger seat (well not all the time anyway).
Andy B

Paul Wood
Thanks in anycase.
Paul