Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Interesting Cylinder head............

Ian McGowan
On fleaBay here

Ian Mc.

Someone has had a nibble there is one bid on it now, with 2 days to go.

Ian Mc.

Ian Williams
I think that it was the start of an attempt to reclaim waterway damage!.

I think you are right Ian, he's ground out the damage to reveal clean, sound aluminium (or should that be aluminum?)ready for TIG welding and subsequent machining, I've done it before with Ally heads.

The old Speedex head I had on my old special I used to wrap up in newspaper, take it to Macfisheries and stick it their freezer for a couple of days, rush home and fit it, tightening the hed studs up to about 15 ft lbs and leave it for a day before starting it up - never had a leak, never blew a gasket!

The Bantam head I’ve seen (Chris Olivers) was cast iron but had similar asymmetric chambers – all the rage with American flat heads.

The top looks similar to a Grasshopper head until you realise the water branch is ‘on the wrong way round’.

Going back to the discussion about ‘early’ and 'later’ Whatmough Hewitt heads; there is a picture (from the A7CA article) of a W-H that used a pear shaped water outlet. Could this be the ‘early’ one and the integral cast in water outlet is the ‘later’. This follows a similar path to the Speedex and Supaloy heads that started with pear shaped outlets but then developed to the removable branch similar to the side branch on the block.

These and others are on the Speedex site, link enclosed, on the special cylinder head page.

Dave

Dave Armstrong
The Bantam head I’ve seen (Chris Olivers) was cast iron but had similar asymmetric chambers – all the rage with American flat heads.

The top looks similar to a Grasshopper head until you realise the water branch is ‘on the wrong way round’.

Going back to the discussion about ‘early’ and 'later’ Whatmough Hewitt heads; there is a picture (from the A7CA article) of a W-H that used a pear shaped water outlet. Could this be the ‘early’ one and the integral cast in water outlet is the ‘later’. This follows a similar path to the Speedex and Supaloy heads that started with pear shaped outlets but then developed to the removable branch similar to the side branch on the block.

These and others are on the Speedex site, link enclosed, on the special cylinder head page.

Dave

Dave, to the best of my knowledge the Speedex special heads page has carried only one picture, that of a Briggs and Stratton head, for well over a year now, take a look???

Ian Mc.

Ian don't know how to do the link on iPad but google search "speedex special heads " then pick development should bring up the heads

I can see all heads, even mine!!

Sorry guys, I was going to the speedex site, selecting "Special Builder's guide" and then selecting "Special Cylinder heads" result zilch!

Ian Mc.

As R noted- all the heads are still there but the last entries are a bit confused and overwritten probably by my Explorer 7

Tony.

Tony, am I on the wrong Bl**dy site, here is where I look http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speedex/index_files/Page2476.htm
and there is only one picture, of a Briggs & Stratton single cylinder head????

Ian Mc.

Ian,

That is the same as I have-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speedex/index_files/Page2476.htm

The top of the page shows B&S followed by the extensive list of others.

What browser are you on - as I say the bottom of the page is b*gg*red up with Explorer 7

Tony.

Tony, how very strange! I'm using IE 8. What you describe as seeing with IE 7 is what I used to see with IE 6 ( I skipped 7 and went straight to 8).
It never occurred to me that it might be the browser as on the site, on the index page it show heads as "under construction - watch this space"

I will have to investigate further, thanks.
EDIT: Well, having pulled the page up in Safari, I can now see what I've been missing!!!! I don't understand why though, maybe one of the IT experts can tell me what I have set wrongly in my IE8 that prevents me seeing most of that page, please.

Makes me wonder what else I've been missing!

Ian Mc.

I have tried to open the speedex site on the latest version of explorer using my laptop and all I got was the pic of the Stratton head and eventually the text without the pictures tried the same search using google through explorer got the same .then opened google chrome and the site opened no bother suggest down loading google chrome NB I had downloaded google chrome last month as I could not get my tomtom to update and was told by tomtom that explorer was not compatable so if you have tomtom and want to view speedex google chrome

Oo – er, who said there’s no such thing as bad publicity?

I’ve heard previously some struggle to see everything on the Speedex site and it seemed to be related to Mac users. I’ve also found it hard to set the page width and get the text not to overlap. I have taken in what was said previously and invested in a ‘Speedex’ domain, but unfortunately have done something drastic and it doesn’t upload. The site is constructed on Microsoft Publisher, I may have to further invest (grrrr) in a better architecture.

The myweb/tiscali site is still functioning.

OK; message received. I’ll get my finger out and make it work! It’s all been a bit dormant, like my Speedex, while I’ve concentrated on the Opal, AH and Range Rover (that have loads of play potential!).

Thanks for all the site material previously by the way, including the head pictures like the W-H from R and the Grasshopper from Peter Hornby. I’ll get the current ‘mystery’ head up when I get straightened out.

Dave

I've asked a Patent Lawyer friend about the patent number on the plate on the ebay head in the original post. That number refers to Harry Ricardo's Patent for SV combustion chamber etc. design from July 1920 and not the actual head itself.

I have a pdf of the Patent (titled 'Improvements in the Cylinders of Internal Combustion Engines') if anybody is interested. It is quite 'comprehensive'.

Steve

Steve Jones
I've asked a Patent Lawyer friend about the patent number on the plate on the ebay head in the original post. That number refers to Harry Ricardo's Patent for SV combustion chamber etc. design from July 1920 and not the actual head itself.

I have a pdf of the Patent (titled 'Improvements in the Cylinders of Internal Combustion Engines') if anybody is interested. It is quite 'comprehensive'.

Steve

I would be interested. Could you mail it to me?
Many thanks

Steve can you e-mail it to me also. It should make an interesting read.

Thanks

Tom

I'd be very grateful for a copy too, please.

1 2