Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Roots Supercharger Drive Ratios for Austin Sevens

Hello, Thanks for the replies. Superchargers always seem to get folks interested.

Does anyone know the swept volume and drive ratio's used on the Ducks?
I would expect that you are going to need to spin the AMR300 at quite a pace to generate much puff. Anyway if I can get some more data to do comparisons it should be a bit easier to do some meaningful calculations.

I've just checked the notes I made after talking to John Bowring when Grant Cowie brought the Duck over for the Austin Centenary. I can't find anything on swept volume, but the Jamieson took 20bhp to operate. ("But the engine pulls like a public schoolboy".)

Tom Hunt
Hello, Thanks for the replies. Superchargers always seem to get folks interested.

Does anyone know the swept volume and drive ratio's used on the Ducks?

I'm sure someone knows?

I would expect that you are going to need to spin the AMR300 at quite a pace to generate much puff. Anyway if I can get some more data to do comparisons it should be a bit easier to do some meaningful calculations.

Here was a partial answer Tom:
http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=897803&cmd=show

I'm sure again that there are here people very competent in SC matters. Maybe they are thinking we are all dreamers?
If so, please tell us!
Renaud

You're all dreamers!!

...but keep at it because so am I.

David

PS - if you lose heart sell one on to me to put on the shelf and moon over :)

David Laver
You're all dreamers!!

...but keep at it because so am I.

David

PS - if you lose heart sell one on to me to put on the shelf and moon over :)

Hi David,
I'm sure we all are here or...
The price of the dream is quite affordable. Simon paid around £100 in NZ for his AMR300, I paid around £250 myself but the Subaru car it comes from is not imported here I believe contrary to NZ.

I don't think that cars the AMR300 come off came to NZ either since I haven't seen those blowers for sale here often which is why I grabbed it! Lots of Toyota SC12 or SC14s though. Even if it is a dream it would make a nice paper weight, the tiny thing is really quite cute!

My mistake Simon. I believe the Subaru's imported in Oz.I thought it was in NZ too.
Renaud

Hi all, sorry I haven't put any feedback from Brands Hatch. Anyway here goes.
I believe Christian's engine using a Volumex (1000cc) runs at about engine speed and puts out double figures of boost.
Mike Inglis is running an Aisin (AMR300) at between 1.5 and 2 x engine speed. Engine relines at about 7K so it is within the design limit of the Blower. This apparently generates around 6PSI but on Dyno it produces more power than Christians. I presume this is due to the greater amount of power taken to drive the Volumex.
Ben Myall was running an Aisin AMR500 on his special, but the engine had only just been supercharged a couple of days before hand and had not been fully set up.
Tim is currently building a supercharged engine for his blue car. So if you want to use one of these Aisin's it is well worth talking to the Pigsty Boys and taking a look at their cars. I will put some photo's up in the next couple of days (have the photo's but not the cable to load them onto the computer).
They have designed a neat pulley drive system from the crank and really packages the whole system quite well.I think I will be contriving a similar setup but using V-belts so that it is VSCC eligible.

I am currently stripping and rebuilding my Aisin 500 at the moment and will put some photo's and notes up about what I have learned.

I am sorry I doubted you guys using a AMR300 but you will need to make it sing to produce the boost. I am sticking to the 500 and running it at lower speed.

So an AMR300 ~does~ work!!

...and that on a racer.

Any photos of the setups?

David

This is a spreadsheet calculation with AMR300 on A7 based on that page

Pulley Ratio (PR)  = 1,875
Engine rpm 6000,00
Blower rpm 11250,00
 ½ Engine Capacity in c.c. 375,00
boost (psi) 6,00
boost (bar) 0,42
blower volume/rot (cm3) 300,00
valve overlap (deg) 45,00
Allowance for valve overlap I 1,35
Calculating the Change of Compression Ratio: 0,22

Same with AMR500
Pulley Ratio (PR) = 1,13
Engine rpm 6000,00
Blower rpm 6750,00
 ½ Engine Capacity in c.c. 375,00
boost (psi) 6,00
boost (bar) 0,42
blower volume/rot (cm3) 500,00
valve overlap (deg) 45,00
Allowance for valve overlap I 1,35
Calculating the Change of Compression Ratio: 0,22

Spreadsheet available on email request gents.
Renaud

Supercharged options at Brands Hatch April 2012

Christian Pederson's Single-Seater with Volumex:

Christian Pederson's Single Seater with volumex blower

Mike Inglis Aisin A300:

Nigel Inglis Aison Blown Racer

Ben Myall's blow Pigsty with Aisin 500:

Ben Myall's Pigsty Racer April 2012

If you look closely (and make allowances for the photos) you can see that the inlet pipe on the Inglis car passes between the blower and the crankcase, the other two have the inlet pipe on the outside.

Here's one of the drive set up.

I seem to have lost Mike Inglis Aisin A300: picture.

Tony.

Hi Tom

"They have designed a neat pulley drive system from the crank and really packages the whole system quite well.I think I will be contriving a similar setup but using V-belts so that it is VSCC eligible."

Im not sure VSCC will accept this supercharger! Have you looked at thier list of acceptable superchargers?

I'v been vaugley looking for one of these for a while as it seems like a cheepish way of blowing my Gr******r replicaish (dont mention that name here!). However the fact that it would seem to push the car outside the VSCC's spec has put me off.

As my car hasn't progressed beyond a rolling chassis in the last year and currently langishes in the box trailer, its hardly a high priority.

All the best

Stuart.

Edit:

Found the info from the VSCC web site.

"3. ACCEPTABLE PVT
Vane type
a) Centric
b) Arnott
c) Shorrock:requires modification
to place the inlet on opposite side
to exhaust
Roots type:
d) Wade: requires modification to inlet and exhaust to disguise the parallelogram
opening. (There are different models of Wade supercharger. On some the
modifications needed are so extensive as to make this impracticable without a
new case). Advice should be sought.
e) Godfrey
f) Volumex: requires modification to remove plastic pipes and fit suitable
aluminium end plates.
Plus car manufacturers' own period superchargers and other units proved to have been manufactured in the period.
Replica Cozette, Zoller, Power Plus and Centric, together with certain Roots design superchargers of new
manufacture, are permitted on Vintage and PVT cars, as appropriate, with prior Committee approval.
4. DRIVES
Vintage: Chain, dog, gear (bevel, spiral, pinion) or shaft.
PVT: As Vintage plus V-belt (this includes multi V and
single belts with a number of 'Vs'), epicyclic, quill shaft
and hydraulic. Toothed belts may not be used for this or
any other purpose."

It would seem that multi V belts are now acceptable, which makes my application easier as I could use the back of the belt to drive a standard fan. The Supercharger needs checking with the office, but it sounds promising!

Maybe we are way behind and these are already in use for VSCC?

Stuart.

Tony Press
I seem to have lost Mike Inglis Aisin A300: picture.

Tony.

Sorry about that my fault. Here's the photo:

Photobucket

Stuart Palmer

It would seem that multi V belts are now acceptable, which makes my application easier as I could use the back of the belt to drive a standard fan. The Supercharger needs checking with the office, but it sounds promising!

Maybe we are way behind and these are already in use for VSCC?

Stuart.

Multi V belts aren't allowed by the VSCC, there was a lengthy discussion about it on the forum. Apparently it was a typo! You are allowed to have multiple V belts but not one belt with multiple Vs. If you are going to use it for VSCC stuff best to write and get it confirmed before building.

Interested that you guys have also now started to use the Aisin blowers. How are head gaskets and block studs holding up, and what mods if any are being used to over come these issues. It also appears from the photos that some are being run with splash fed cranks.
Cheers

Ian,
All the engines shown here are running splash fed cranks. Christian's engine blow up was apparently due to a modern shell bearing picking up on the crank. It now has NOS Vandervells. It had run 13 reasonably hard races without a rebuild.
The theory is that the increased amount of oil flying about helps to take some additional heat from the pistons.
Oh and I think it is using a solid copper head gasket.

Tom Hunt
Hi all, sorry I haven't put any feedback from Brands Hatch. Anyway here goes.
I believe Christian's engine using a Volumex (1000cc) runs at about engine speed and puts out double figures of boost.
Mike Inglis is running an Aisin (AMR300) at between 1.5 and 2 x engine speed. Engine relines at about 7K so it is within the design limit of the Blower. This apparently generates around 6PSI but on Dyno it produces more power than Christians. I presume this is due to the greater amount of power taken to drive the Volumex.
Ben Myall was running an Aisin AMR500 on his special, but the engine had only just been supercharged a couple of days before hand and had not been fully set up.
Tim is currently building a supercharged engine for his blue car. So if you want to use one of these Aisin's it is well worth talking to the Pigsty Boys and taking a look at their cars. I will put some photo's up in the next couple of days (have the photo's but not the cable to load them onto the computer).
They have designed a neat pulley drive system from the crank and really packages the whole system quite well.I think I will be contriving a similar setup but using V-belts so that it is VSCC eligible.

I am currently stripping and rebuilding my Aisin 500 at the moment and will put some photo's and notes up about what I have learned.

I am sorry I doubted you guys using a AMR300 but you will need to make it sing to produce the boost. I am sticking to the 500 and running it at lower speed.

Hope I'm not boring anybody but the other post initiated by Mike Inglis re supercharge had me looking back here.
Your last phrase Tom reminds me of a commercial US site about SC's where I read this: if you want a race engine with max power at high rpm's but a narrow power range, use a large roots at low rpm. If you want an engine with less power but high torque at low rpm's use a small roots SC at high rpm.
Renaud