Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Insurance on an austin 7 for a 17 year old ?

As per the title really,

Dads allowing me to be do some driving in is A7 Ruby but now my quest of an insurance company begins, anyone got any ideas on who can insure me ?

Cheers,

Will

Re: Insurance on an austin 7 for a 17 year old ?

William,

if you are member of a Club belonging to "The Austin Seven Clubs' Association", you would be entitled to apply for insurance from Richard Hoskins and the special Insurance scheme they offer through the Association.

However, their lower age limit is currently set at 25 years old. I have heard of instances where they will allow drivers younger than this to drive when the owner/insurance policy holder is in the passenger seat of the car.

They are a very good company and I would urge you to chat to them about the possibilities they may be able to offer you on: 01277 206912.

Good luck!

Why wouldn't you be a named driver on your father's insurance policy, on the assumption his Insurers will cover you, my children were.

Unless of course your trying to build up an independent 'Insurance' and/or 'No Claims' history in your pre-25 years old, insurance time.

RH is the bee's knee's.

Yep I'd be willing to go on as a named driver on my dads policy, however he's with Footman James who recently stopped insuring anyone under 25, hence the need to find a new insurer who will cover 17 year olds.

Understood.

RH is good.

I'm youngish (20) and have my own policy with RH classic and am also on my dad's policy.
When I was first added to my dad's policy they were a bit iffy about adding me and wanted me to be accompanied by him whenever I was driving it until I was 21. However, we got this restriction removed for about £50 or so.
They had no problems with me having my own policy for my Austin 7 and I pay exactly the same amount as my dad does for his.

I will give RH a call tomorrow and see, I'll keep you all posted

I gather that insurers have got fussier about the "below 25" thing because some youths have moved to classic car policies to dodge punitive rates on small moderns.
Whilst this might be true for a Morris Minor, Allegro or similar 70's stuff I really doubt that it's a factor with Pre-War cars. However underwriters are kings of generalisation.

Keep us posted

Charles

I would say any 17 year that can drive an Austin Seven well, should be given special dispensation!

I learnt to drive in a Ruby when I was sixteen, best grounding I ever had.

Well , I Have been driving the same A7 since I was 17.... only 54 years! I use RH insurance for all the family cars as well.never a problem

I had the same problem whn I first restored my Austin, I was 21.

I ended up having to ring every firm that advertise in Practical Classics, and eventually got cover, I forget with who, but it wasnt RH, they certainly wouldn't provide cover.

When I added another Austin to my RH policy a couple of years ago I asked to add as named drivers three youngsters, including my daughter then 21. They had no objection - nor increase in premium!

William,

RH were happy to add my 17-year-old Learner son (Guy) to my policy - so far he has driven the Chummy, the Ruby and the trials car. The stipulation was that I had to accompany him; the premium ... did not change! After he has had a full licence for a year, he will be able to drive them on his own, but the premium will double. But as it's not that much anyway, double is still affordable. Compared to the eye-watering prices quoted for insuring him for a modern car, that is little short of amazing.

David

Here is a photo of Guy driving the trials Chummy with L-plates on the PWA7C Winter trial in 2010.

I don't know if it would make a lot of difference to the premiums to a youngster today , but I took and passed my advanced driving test (I.A.M.) at quite an early age.

I would recommend any driver take the test just for the satisfaction alone.

Ray

David,

that's a great selection of photos showing a young man having fun with a proud dad, I love the retro "L" plates as well, a nice touch!

I entered a trial many moons ago in the RN saloon I used whilst at Uni, my father sat in the passenger seat ashen, I eventually had to remove his finger nails from the dashboard of the car and he has not been a passenger in a Seven with me since...

Having looked back through my records, I can see that RH insured me as a named driver on my father's policy from 1990, aged 17, until 1998 when I was 25 and able to buy a policy in my own name from them. They are an excellent company and well worth supporting, it would appear that most things are possible if you discuss your requirements with them and think out of the box a little - I owe them a good number of years of fantastically enjoyable motoring.

Yes, we both enjoyed it - I'm glad that you like the photos! And he managed not to add to my quota of grey hairs either - as it all happens in 1st gear the scenery isn't coming towards you too quickly. The 'retro' L-plates were just a lucky chance - some old plastic ones I'd had lying about for years.

David

Hi David ,
Those "L" plates could be worth a bob or two !!!!

There's a photo begging for a caption...

"I said turn in the ROAD using forward and reverse gears".

"With one licence lost and another yet to be won they improvised a route back from the pub".

David

David

Hi William,
Almost everyone I know in the old car world uses RH and I've not personally heard a bad word. However, I have been with Vintage Car Insurance Associates since about 1980 and have never had the need to change so you could contact them as an alternative. Their details are: (name as above!) 124, High Street, Godstone, Surrey. RH9 8DX. Tel: 01883-744040.
Good luck!
Steve

I have nothing but good words to say about RH, I have all my insurance with them and they are great to deal with.

Interesting when I sold the Plymouth Road Runner and transferred that particular policy from a six and half litre Vee eight to a 747cc four cylinder!