Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interesting A7 At Bonhams Goodwood Auction

Frank,
For your information.

This Austin Seven racer was built by Marcus Chambers in the early 1930s from the burnt out remains of the Boyd Carpenter Special. Marcus Chambers, together with Peter Clark, raced an HRG at Le Mans in 1937 and 1939 under the team name 'L'Écurie Lapin Blanc' (Team White Rabbit). Their mascot was a stuffed turtle shell that Peter Clarke had brought back with him from the West Indies following a family holiday. Someone then painted a white rabbit logo on the shell and this became the team's mascot (a replica of this is place just in front of the driver's seat). After the war Marcus was lured back to HRG, serving as their race team manager from 1948 to 1953 when joined the BMC competitions department.
Campaigned extensively within the VSCC from the early 1930s until 1963, the 'White Rabbit' endurd a hard life during this time and was owned and driven by many well know VSCC members including world renowned drivers Dick Protheroe and Roger Clark. The body took on many guises during this period and in the very late 1930s sported a Bugatti radiator. In 1958 ownership passed from Roger Clark to Chris Winder. By this time the rigours of many years' competition and 'make do and mend' preparation were beginning to take their toll. The car's condition had deteriorated to such an extent that at a race meeting on 23rd April 1963 it was presented to the scrutinisers on no fewer than nine occasions before being allowed to start. Enough was enough and the 'White Rabbit' was then laid up.
In 1981 the 'White Rabbit' was acquired by Martin Eyre, author of 'Austin Seven Competition Cars 1922-1982', who planned to rebuild it but never found the time. The current owner acquired the car from Martin Eyre and sent it to Steve Hodgson for restoration, which was carried out during 2009/2010. A new body was built, replicating the one on the car when it was driven by Fee Carson-Lewes in 1938. Importantly, the original tail section had been retained. Rebuilt by Steve Hodgson the engine features a Whatmough-Hewitt aluminium cylinder head, magneto ignition and a Cozette No.4 supercharger fed by a 1½" SU carburettor. The 'blower' is mounted on top of the cylinder head as it was in period. An exciting opportunity to acquire a famous Austin Seven racer with a competition record stretching all the way back to the 1930s that has proved most effective whilst competing in VSCC events for the past 12 - 18 months. Offered with VSCC Buff Form and a most interesting history file containing pre-war photographs along with pre and post-war information - viewing of which is highly recommended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Category: Motoring / Motor Cars

Frank Hernandez
Can someone tell me what parts of the car are original? I am just curious.

It's got a replica shell which is important to it's provenance!!

So thais is not correct?

"Importantly, the original tail section had been retained."

Not sure about the rest but as with the Bentley I recently referred to, it has gone through a number of changes over its life.

Tony.

Tony,

Sorry I was referring to the Replica "Turtle Shell" which was described in the Bonhams catalogue as being located in the car.

Body is a replica as well, apart from the tail section.

Scott

So you think this Austin 7 racing car is a bit expensive - how about this little one-

"Top sale at Bonhams 20th Goodwood sale went to the ex-Sir Henry Tim Birkin 1929 4.5-litre Blower Bentley that sold for £5,042,000."

Tony

Simon Thomas
Frank,
For your information.

This Austin Seven racer was built by Marcus Chambers in the early 1930s from the burnt out remains of the Boyd Carpenter Special. Marcus Chambers, together with Peter Clark, raced an HRG at Le Mans in 1937 and 1939 under the team name 'L'Écurie Lapin Blanc' (Team White Rabbit). Their mascot was a stuffed turtle shell that Peter Clarke had brought back with him from the West Indies following a family holiday. Someone then painted a white rabbit logo on the shell and this became the team's mascot (a replica of this is place just in front of the driver's seat). After the war Marcus was lured back to HRG, serving as their race team manager from 1948 to 1953 when joined the BMC competitions department.
Campaigned extensively within the VSCC from the early 1930s until 1963, the 'White Rabbit' endurd a hard life during this time and was owned and driven by many well know VSCC members including world renowned drivers Dick Protheroe and Roger Clark. The body took on many guises during this period and in the very late 1930s sported a Bugatti radiator. In 1958 ownership passed from Roger Clark to Chris Winder. By this time the rigours of many years' competition and 'make do and mend' preparation were beginning to take their toll. The car's condition had deteriorated to such an extent that at a race meeting on 23rd April 1963 it was presented to the scrutinisers on no fewer than nine occasions before being allowed to start. Enough was enough and the 'White Rabbit' was then laid up.
In 1981 the 'White Rabbit' was acquired by Martin Eyre, author of 'Austin Seven Competition Cars 1922-1982', who planned to rebuild it but never found the time. The current owner acquired the car from Martin Eyre and sent it to Steve Hodgson for restoration, which was carried out during 2009/2010. A new body was built, replicating the one on the car when it was driven by Fee Carson-Lewes in 1938. Importantly, the original tail section had been retained. Rebuilt by Steve Hodgson the engine features a Whatmough-Hewitt aluminium cylinder head, magneto ignition and a Cozette No.4 supercharger fed by a 1½" SU carburettor. The 'blower' is mounted on top of the cylinder head as it was in period. An exciting opportunity to acquire a famous Austin Seven racer with a competition record stretching all the way back to the 1930s that has proved most effective whilst competing in VSCC events for the past 12 - 18 months. Offered with VSCC Buff Form and a most interesting history file containing pre-war photographs along with pre and post-war information - viewing of which is highly recommended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Category: Motoring / Motor Cars

Thanks, but isn't this just the professional storyline
you get these days. I thought it was in the hands of GC and DFJ worked on it for a while. The remaining bits in the eighties were the engine and tail(possibly). In that case the car sold is a replica special with a possible original tail. Have I got it wrong as this was the impression I got 30 years ago?

Definitely the original tail as we repaired it. I may have some photos of it from when it was with us.

Stuart

All those who stress about originality of this racing car I refer to my earlier posting about the court judgement for the Bentley.

Tony.

Tony Press
All those who stress about originality of this racing car I refer to my earlier posting about the court judgement for the Bentley.

Tony.

Tony, it's not that anyone objects to the car, but that when the history is muddied as this has been, you can easily see that in the future people will think that this IS the car. It is happening with others.

Ive just come back from a fantastic trip to LE MANS,4 Austins and 5 drivers,nearly 500 miles of fantastic quiet, french roads.

2 track laps..

Chassis number 107471,special lugs welded and unique

engine number m62211

Frank im sure you can tell everyone the correct chassis number????

because if you are going to band your thoughts on a public forum you will have proof to back up your opinion other wise it is just 30 year old "gossip"

The car came from Martin Eyre a friend of yours ?

and as discussed before he was involved with all the crap that was being banded about in the early 80's
when you lot were all prancing about in leg warmers and head bands.

on the day of the Auction I was on holiday with my kids when I got a phone call from the Auction to say someone..GRAHAM BECKETT..had phoned them to say there was another car with the same identity,so I said I would pull the car if he had any concrete facts..I asked them to re phone him and find out the "FACTS" he had..
he replied he meant the wheel size was wrong and the steering wheel was wrong,so he was talking complete S..T,he later phoned and bid on the car to 20K ??

Frank I always thought you were one to be respected in the Specials world??not any more you seem to enjoy "gossip as much as the rest of the dirty A7 play ground pig tail pullers"

B T W .why do you often describe you self in the 3rd person? ?

Just out of interest what is the body of your green Brooklands thingy made of ..MDF? That last statement is not a fact but I have always wondered..

ben marchant
Ive just come back from a fantastic trip to LE MANS,4 Austins and 5 drivers,nearly 500 miles of fantastic quiet, french roads.

2 track laps..

Chassis number 107471,special lugs welded and unique

engine number m62211

Frank im sure you can tell everyone the correct chassis number????

because if you are going to band your thoughts on a public forum you will have proof to back up your opinion other wise it is just 30 year old "gossip"

The car came from Martin Eyre a friend of yours ?

and as discussed before he was involved with all the crap that was being banded about in the early 80's
when you lot were all prancing about in leg warmers and head bands.

on the day of the Auction I was on holiday with my kids when I got a phone call from the Auction to say someone..GRAHAM BECKETT..had phoned them to say there was another car with the same identity,so I said I would pull the car if he had any concrete facts..I asked them to re phone him and find out the "FACTS" he had..
he replied he meant the wheel size was wrong and the steering wheel was wrong,so he was talking complete S..T,he later phoned and bid on the car to 20K ??

Frank I always thought you were one to be respected in the Specials world??not any more you seem to enjoy "gossip as much as the rest of the dirty A7 play ground pig tail pullers"

B T W .why do you often describe you self in the 3rd person? ?

Just out of interest what is the body of your green Brooklands thingy made of ..MDF? That last statement is not a fact but I have always wondered..

Many thanks for putting me straight. I had no idea that the car had the original chassis which is why I originally asked the question . I am no expert on specials, neither am I an expert on most things Austin Seven. I can only tune and race them reasonably well. I had no intention of gossiping about the car and if you are upset by my comments I can only apologise.

Accepted..

I also want to move on and enjoy my new Special that is made up of mainly vintage bits but does not have one ounce of pre war history.

B

I do not normally contribute to this, or any other forum, but in this instance I must set the record straight.
When Bonhams first advertised the car I was sent some earlier pictures of the car by a third party, who I assume had an interest in the car. It appeared to have large wheels and a blumels steering wheel.
On the morning of the sale I was contacted by a Bonhams rep to ask if I was interested in bidding. I enquired whether the car had 19" wheels and a blumels steering wheel and was advised it did not. However, if I had been interested in bidding these items would not have deterred me as they are reasonably easy to obtain.
I was not, however, interested in purchasing the car and at NO TIME DID I PLACE ANY BID.
With regards to the pedigree of the car I accepted the description given by Bonhams.
Mr Marchant suggests that people should be sure of their facts before they are aired on a public forum, I suggest this is a lesson he should learn himself.
I have tried to contact him by phone, but he has not had the courtesy to return my call.
I trust an apology will be forthcoming.

Ben
Just checking and have yet to see your apology to Graham?
Simon