Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Proper 'Blown Ulster'

In relation to another thread.
J.C.Elwes entered a green supercharged Austin in the 1931 LCC Relay race at Brooklands on 25th July 1931.
Simon

Thanks Damian. For those curious about some of Austin's photos, in the late 30s the tail was removed and twin spare wheels fitted for greater traction during Trials. Haven't had time to check but I think Beatrice records some of Elwes' exploits. As regards the Rob Roy hillclimb, it's in a rural (bush) setting, started in the 30s, declined for some years when a bushfire burnt down an access bridge, was revived in more recent years by the MG Club with the help of the VSCC, every August the VSCC runs a Vintage meeting where entries are huge and the atmosphere (including in the car park) is similar to the Shelsely Walsh meetings pre-ww2. Cheers, Bill

Location: Mount Eliza, (not a mountain but hilly, overlooking the Bay) Australia

This recent August meeting was celebrating 75 years since the first Rob Roy and was one of the best I have been to - 13 Austin Sevens entered including the Duck Racer and the fastest unblown Austin Seven racing car driven by owner 89 year old Trevor Cole.

A great line up of vintage cars running and on display. The event chairman, VSCC and Austin 7 club member Graeme Steinfort with his committee from the MGCC and VSCC put on a truly excellent day, with a billy cart race back down part of the track at lunchtime and the best food

I have a couple more pictures to post.

Tony.

For a quick coverage have a look at -

http://www.motormarques.com/news/melbourne-desk/item/529-rob-roy-august-2012

and the later Martin Stubs pictures.

Tony.

I liked this one, here, not A7, but seemingly in the spirit of the impercunious A7 owner.
Plenty of adhesion over the back wheels and a thrifty steering wheel too!

Patina, Gold Medal....

Ooops, won't pick up the individual picture I wanted, however it's the 4th one down the left had side.

Must be a Bédélia, surely?

Roger,

Yes, in what I believe is now called oily rag condition, although more like dirty rag- first run was not good but managed to get there eventually.

Tony.

Owner/driver of Bedelia is John Fitzpatrick, who has several exotic old cars, previously had an Austin 7 Ace Sports. Cheers, Bill

Location: Mount Eliza, (not a mountain but hilly, overlooking the Bay) Australia

Please can you tell us which is the fastest unblown Austin so we can see it in the photos?

Hi Julian. It's actually a 750 Formula car (the Dalshaw), built by Dale Shaw with help of others (including me) in the early 60s. It features a light space frame and independent front suspension plus hydraulic brakes, so has an advantage over conventional Sevens. When the 750 Renault engine was the alternative for our Formula for a time, present owner Trevor Cole loaned it to me for much of one season and I found it a delightful car to drive. Of course the car has been powered by an Austin Seven engine again for many years. If you click on the yellow bit "Motormarques revisits Rob Roy" at the foot of the photo page you will see the squashed-caterpillar-green coloured Number 93 in full song (well about to leave the start line). Cheers, Bill

Trevor Cole in the Dalshaw-

Photobucket

fastest unblown Austin 7 (although as Bill notes the car is a 750 special), not bad for 89 (the driver not the car)

The Duck was quite a lot faster

Tony.

Thank you gentlemen.

By asking the question we've taken the thread from one end of the spectrum to the other. Still, what's a little diversion among friends.