Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Grease Nipple Sizes

Hi
The 1/8" BSP grease nipples I have are too large for the front axle (king pins). What thread are these tapped, please?
Regards
Colin

Re: Grease Nipple Sizes

Hi Colin,

5/16" BSF. Available from most cherished suppliers.

Ian Mc.

Thanks, Ian

Did Austin make all the grease nipples BSF on its cars or did it change threads???Ted

Austin Seven Girling stub axles are 5/16 BSF.

All (that's a big word so I await the exception/s there will be some) other A7 grease nipples are 1/8 BSP.

I am not certain about the thread on the early Enot type nipples.

Re: Grease Nipple replacement or file?

tacking on a question to re-invigorate this thread.

I was checking front suspension today and found one greese nipple accessed from just to right of front numberplate that squirts out sideways when greased. On closer inspection, it has obviously been clouted so there is a slight path of least resistance other than through the nipple.

Can I file down to restore, or do I just abandon it and replace?

My joint at the back also has free play of 1mm up and down with a slight metal metal noise. Is this likely as its overly dry, or loose, or do I need to replace something urgently here?

Just replace the damaged one, easy-peasy. The clunk will need further investigation though

Ta. bought ten of each. I wonder what the proportion of 'straight' to 'angled' car requirement is..?
My duff angled one will certainly be ergonomically better as a straight one!

Hi Jon E

It was largely to counter the problem of bruised nipples that the dangerous needle type guns were so universally used.

JonE
I wonder what the proportion of 'straight' to 'angled' car requirement is..?

4 angled ones: 2 on the top of the kingpins, 2 at the back of the spring shackles. All the others are straight. They are all 1/8 BSP except the angled ones for the top of the Girling axle kingpins which are 5/16 BSF.

David

thanks.

Now just reading up on track rod ends... !

I've always kept the old 1/8"BSP nipples that I've removed from a variety of 7'ns and have even made some in the old Enots style.
Pictures are a number of these (not cleaned, sorry) and all are 1/8"BSP whatever the type.
The king pins are 5/16"BSF and I made up a extension to screw into the top of the king pin but with an 1/8"BSP thread to suit existing nipples.

photo P1130443_zpscmq1c6bz.jpg

reading up about 'zerk' fittings in 'States, it refers to some grease guns "clicking on" to what are presumed just grease nipples, giving a secure hold while being pumped.

Do any modern grease guns over here work like that?

I thought all modern nipples were like that, the gun holds on around the swelling at the end of the nipple.
The Enots grease guns used by Austins simpy hold on by virtue of the pressure used to force the grease in and are no problem provided there is no damage to the nipple.