Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LOST TROPHY?

LAWRENCE CUP TRIAL
3RD CLASS 1936
R M ANDREWS
I have had a propelling pencil for many years inscribed with the above. I assume it was an award in the Trial. I can't remember how or when I came by it.
Does anybody know about this Trial? Was it a car trial? Who was R M Andrews?

I look forward to your replys.

Vince Leek

Re: LOST TROPHY?

If you have a date I can look up the details in The Autocar.
Simon
Comber

There are a few mentions of the Lawrence Cup Trial on www.wheelspin.info. Get in touch with the chap who runs the site, he'll know the answer, (or at least look it up in the Cowbourne books!)

Hi Vince - R.M.Andrews competed in the Lands End Trial, the Edinburgh Trial & the Gloucester Trial in 1928 with a Seven MK2337, plus races at Brooklands in 1928 & 1929 with a Cup model RO 5204. Can't help with the later date but obviously a Trial and perhaps not with an Austin Seven? Cheers, Bill

Location: Mount Eliza, (not a mountain but hilly, overlooking the Bay) Australia

The Lawrence Cup Trial was organised by North-West London Motor Club and took place in May each year.

R.M. Andrews competed in the Lands End Trial in 1935 and 1936, in a Singer CME 250, the Edinburgh Trial in 1934 and 1935 in a Triumph Gloria and Singer Le Mans respectively, the Exeter Trial in 1935 and 1937 (but was a non-starter in '37) in Singer Le Mans and a MG Midget respectively, the MCC Sporting Trial in 1936, 1937 and 1938 in a Singer, MG Midget and MG Midget respectively, the 1935 London-Gloucester Trial in a Singer Le Mans CME 250. In 1936 he also entered the Brighton Beer Trial, the Colmore Trial and the MCC Torquay Trial all in his Singer Le Mans.

Reasonable, therefore, that his award in the Lawrence Cup might well have been won in a Singer Le Mans CME 250 as that looks to be the car he was trialing throughout 1936.

Steve
With thanks to the late, great, Donald Cowbourne.

Crikey, Mr Lawrence was busy (and presumably wealthy).
Thanks for all the information. Do any of his family still servive?, I'd like to pass the pencil on.

Vince Leek

while on the subject ,I have just come across The "John ward Stamford Hall" Cup Dated 1972 in my possession.Did I win it? Has any one got any details of this award.

Hello Mac,
Did you, perhaps, participate in the Munich Olympics?

John Ward is still president of the Midlands A7 Club, and I'm sure he would be interested (but he doesn't do computers), and the club still runs the Stanford Hall Rally. I'm sure their chairman could pass on a message.

I seem to remember that John Ward was a leading figure in the formation of the A7CA and was the first secretary. As such he was very involved in organising the Golden Jubilee Rally at the Austin factory in 1972. A super event.
Vince Leek

Sorry Bart, I cant remember!!!Here,s hoping we can find more information in the next few days...