Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anti freeze

Ian McGowan
I would bet money on it being OAT technology antifreeze, Paul

Ian Mc.

That's Saturdays job sorted then ....

Thanks Anyway.

Paul

Gents,

I appreciate the advice and all, but the innards of an Austin subject to the antifreeze are not unusual.

We have some cast iron, some cast aluminium, some rubber hoses, some copper and some solder.

Copper and solder are not so common in modern cars, but it will take some stuff to corrode it.

If the iron and ali is at risk I shall go and drain the modern forthwith.

Quite what the modern antifreeze is going to hurt is beyond me.

There is a lot of conflicting opinions out there, Hedd but, there is a general concensus that OAT or HOAT technology antifreeze MIGHT attack older cooling systems with lead solder, copper, and brass as components in their radiators. I don't know but I do know that the old blue stuff doesn't give rise to problems if changed every 2 years.
That said, before all the adverse publicity, I did run a ARR Ruby for one winter with the OAT orange stuff in the system and nothing disinterated.
You pay your money and take your chances!!

Ian Mc.

Well,

For the last 15years our 1954 fordson Major tractor (with copper and lead radiator) has had illuminous yellow antifreeze in it.

no idea what it is, but I am pretty confident that it is no glycol based as it is not sweet to taste.

It boils a bit now and again (it is a tool - not a show machine), particularly going up hill in top gear with about 5 ton behind it.

I top it up with whatever antifreeze I happen to have.

It has yet to spring a leak, nor has it frosted.

Hedd Jones
Well,

For the last 15years our 1954 fordson Major tractor (with copper and lead radiator) has had illuminous yellow antifreeze in it.

no idea what it is, but I am pretty confident that it is no glycol based as it is not sweet to taste.

It boils a bit now and again (it is a tool - not a show machine), particularly going up hill in top gear with about 5 ton behind it.

I top it up with whatever antifreeze I happen to have.

It has yet to spring a leak, nor has it frosted.

Given that you've been using the stuff for 15 years it is almost certainly NOT OAT or HOAT as I dont believe that they have been around for that long, in all probability it is propylene glycol.

The solution: use propylene glycol, and also be environmentally friendly.
1. propylene glycol is hazy yellow in colour, is non-toxic (will not damage paint), is bio-degradable, and can be mixed with drinking water.
2. propylene glycol has a bitter taste that makes it less attractive to curious animals.
3.propylene glycol does not persist in the environment. It is readily consumed by microorganisms. In an activated sludge treatment plant operating at 65 deg F, PG is fully degraded within 24 hours.
4. propylene glycol does not break down into corrosive elements, and can be used
for many years retaining excellent aluminium protection, and prevention of lime
scaling around the copper tubes in the blocks.
5. Tests have shown that aluminum corrosion was lower for PG based antifreeze
than for an EG version.
6. In laboratory and engine dynamometer studies, PG antifreeze has performed
better than similar products containing EG with regard to cast iron cavitation
corrosion.
7. Fuel economy, heat transfer, and other key performance characteristics
were the same for both PG and EG coolants.
Public pressure in France has forced the introduction of PG. Since 1998
propylene glycol based alternatives have been available highlighting the “green”
aspect. However, the latest purchases from Carrefour and Auchan (both
monopropylene glycol) are now 100% “Organique” and comply with AFNOR (NRF IS
601 type 3). I am not prepared to test in my cars to see if they are OK.

This is a quote from a link here

Ian Mc.