Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear and Front Suspension

Hi Everyone
Further to (a) my post of 15th. October and (b) that of Simon Jansen of 20th. August.
(a). I have "bitten the bullet" and removed the rear springs and found that their camber was 4" on the off side and 5" on the near side. No doubt this will have been contributing to roll oversteer, particularly round left hand bends. The correct setting, kindly supplied by Ian Dunford, should be 3&1/2" but this would presumably cope with all situations from "driver only" to "four up with luggage on the rack". As my car is unlikely ever to have more than driver and one passenger with maybe a couple of holdalls on the back seat, would setting the rear springs at between 3" and 3&1/2" give too low a ride height at the rear? Your expert opinions will be most gratefully received.
(b). I have followed the responses to Simon Jansen's query regarding twin front dampers ( including the unfortunate spat with Tony Betts), but no explanation of how they improve handling has been forthcoming. Neither has anyone volunteered information as to their effectiveness. Whilst in no way casting doubt on Tim Holcroft-Smith's assertion that the cost of fitting these devices will be "the best money you will ever spend on your car"--and you cannot quibble with his unconditional guarantee of a refund if you are not entirely satisfied,--an independent endorsement by a satisfied user would be a reassurance. Could an explanation of how they work be something to do with the relative angles through which the locating shackles for the ends of the axle and the ends of the damper arms operate so that in some way they prevent sideways movement of the front axle?

Best wishes to all,

John Kaye.