Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: 6volt/12 volt

Hi Simon

Sorry to keep nagging about this, but how did you testing go? Have you managed to do a write up yet? I'm still needing a solution for my old bike and adding another battery or etc as others have managed is not an option due to space considerations (no "back seat" to hide stuff under I'm afraid )

Simon Jansen
I made up the little regulator circuit in the weekend and am testing it out now. I'll put a write up on my blog.

It's LDO regulator and it's pretty much made for car type applications. It will give you a fixed 5 volt output (at up to 1 amp) from an input voltage right down to 5.3 volts (up to 26 from memory?). Once it goes below 5.3v it will give you whatever the input is minus 0.3 volts.

I've been testing it using my ancient GPS unit (from the days when they were rare and expensive and power hungry) and that works fine. That unit shuts down when the input drops below about 4.7 volts.

The circuit is simple, one three pin device and two capacitors. It has reverse polarity, short circuit and thermal overload protection built in. It does need to be installed on a little heat-sink, especially at higher input voltages

I don't know what the voltage range is on a standard 6 volt car though? If someone can tell me that I can do some more testing.

All the details are at home and I can't remember the actual part number of the top of my head but I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Simon

Hi Simon,
Your solution is certainly the best as no 6V battery should be allowed to drop under 6.00 V there's a lot of margin left with your 0.3 V regulator drop to give the required 5 V output. Then it is always advisable to get the 6 v source to the regulator from a good feed preferably close to the battery (both on plus and minus side) which will be cleaner and devoid from losses due to high beam etc. currents.
If one does that one should not remember to unplug the GPS when not in use!

By the way I guess your circuit is minus to ground Simon? That said with caution it could be used as well with plus to ground as long as the GPS is not connected to ground elsewhere (external aerial for example but who uses them?)

Renaud (another adept of the soldering iron )

renaud
Simon Jansen
I made up the little regulator circuit in the weekend and am testing it out now. I'll put a write up on my blog.

It's LDO regulator and it's pretty much made for car type applications. It will give you a fixed 5 volt output (at up to 1 amp) from an input voltage right down to 5.3 volts (up to 26 from memory?). Once it goes below 5.3v it will give you whatever the input is minus 0.3 volts.

I've been testing it using my ancient GPS unit (from the days when they were rare and expensive and power hungry) and that works fine. That unit shuts down when the input drops below about 4.7 volts.

The circuit is simple, one three pin device and two capacitors. It has reverse polarity, short circuit and thermal overload protection built in. It does need to be installed on a little heat-sink, especially at higher input voltages

I don't know what the voltage range is on a standard 6 volt car though? If someone can tell me that I can do some more testing.

All the details are at home and I can't remember the actual part number of the top of my head but I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Simon

Hi Simon,
Your solution is certainly the best as no 6V battery should be allowed to drop under 6.00 V there's a lot of margin left with your 0.3 V regulator drop to give the required 5 V output. Then it is always advisable to get the 6 v source to the regulator from a good feed preferably close to the battery (both on plus and minus side) which will be cleaner and devoid from losses due to high beam etc. currents.
If one does that one should not remember to unplug the GPS when not in use!

By the way I guess your circuit is minus to ground Simon? That said with caution it could be used as well with plus to ground as long as the GPS is not connected to ground elsewhere (external aerial for example but who uses them?)

Renaud (another adept of the soldering iron )

Hi Simon & Renaud,
Simon's approach is certainly the most electrically efficient but, the vast majority of forum users without any electronic background would probably baulk at making up a new lead just for use in the old car. I still think that the easiest route for the majority is a DC-DC up converter (or "buck converter" as the Aussies and Americans seem to prefer) giving anything between 10 and 24v from the 6v battery on load into a standard cigar lighter socket which would enable them to use the same lead for their GPS/'phone as they already do in their modern??

Ian Mc.

Sorry I have made it. Just haven't written it up. It had a good test powering my ancient first gen sat nav when I accidentally left it on over night. That was drawing over 500mA all that time and it worked fine from a 7 volt supply.

About the earthing thing I was thinking about that. The device needs to go on a metal heatsink and if bolted straight to the device it's connected to the negative lead. If you were then to attach that directly to the metal shell of a positive earth car you will have a short.

I think the best thing is put it all in a plastic box so it's totally isolated. With just positive and negative leads in and the same out all you need to do is hook up like to like. You do however have to make sure the GPS unit isn't going to touch the body as Ian mentions. Shouldn't be a problem as they are all plastic these days. My old test one is actually in a magnesium casing! If I know the maximum input voltage likely I can work out what size heatsink I need when it is supplying maximum current.

This device is pretty much designed for use like this and will survive short circuits, reversed polarity and has built in thermal shutdown in case it overheats.

Will try to do the write up soon. Bit busy this weekend with a birthday party! 60+ people coming to my local theatre to watch Star Wars (the good version - before it got Lucased).

don't know what the voltage range is on a standard 6 volt car though? If someone can tell me that I can do some more testing.

Simon

To be absolutely safe Simon, with the possibility of over charging on tired batteries, I would assume the upper voltage limit to be 8V.

Ian Mc.

Thanks Ian, I'll use that as an upper limit. It works fine with much higher voltages of course but you then need a bigger heatsink. I had it working on 12 volts fine.

A last update on this subject:
Simon's solution works like a dream! Even the vibrations of a 700cc single cylinder BSA haven't managed to destroy it yet.
Many thanks once again!
Cheers
Pete

1 2