Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Proof of manufacture

Hi Folks.

I've just about finished the restoration of my 1936 Ruby AED269
and have received an updated V5C(W) from DVLA.

Today, when I tried to tax the car at a local post office I was
told that as the V5 indicated that the Taxation class on the V5 was Private/goods, they could nor issue me with an Historic Vehicle tax disc until I have had the Taxation class changed by DVLA to Historic Vehicle. Also, DVLA require proof that the vehicle was manufactured in 1936 before they will make the change.

Can anyone please advise me on how I can obtain the proof that DVLA require?

Please help if you can.

Ray B.

Re: Proof of manufacture

This can usually be done by your local Austin Seven Club, do you belong to one? If not, knowing whereabouts you live in the UK will assist any recommendations for your closest.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am a member of the Pre-War Austin 7 Club, will they
be able to assist?

Ray B.

Yes I would have thought so. If you struggle, get back in touch with me and I will assist.

Ray,
You need to contact Peter Rowlands, 01636 892919 or email pc.rowlands@btinternet.com. He is the DVLA Authentication officer for the PWA7C.

He is very helpful, and I'm sure will be able to assist you.
Regards,
Ashley

A similar thing happened to me, I took the car and documents to my local DVLA office and they sorted it there and then and gave me a tax disc as well.

I'm assuming that the document you have has everything else right, (year of manufacture etc.)

Hello Austin.

I have a new V5C(W) with the car which gives the date of first
registration as 03/10/1936. I had the old V5 replaced because I changed
the colour of the car and also because DVLA had made 3 errors on it!

Unfortunately it states on the V5C(W) that the taxation class is Private/Light Goods, instead of the required Historic Vehicle.

My local post office wanted to charge me about £140 to register the car
as Private/ Light Goods, needless to say I declined!

My thanks for all advice.

Ray B.

Ray Bancroft
Hello Austin.

I have a new V5C(W) with the car which gives the date of first
registration as 03/10/1936. I had the old V5 replaced because I changed
the colour of the car and also because DVLA had made 3 errors on it!

Unfortunately it states on the V5C(W) that the taxation class is Private/Light Goods, instead of the required Historic Vehicle.

My local post office wanted to charge me about £140 to register the car
as Private/ Light Goods, needless to say I declined!

Mine was wrong because it had changed hands and came back as PLG, I didn't notice until I went to the Post Office and was asked for hard cash! It was obvious that it was wrong as the first year of registration was pre 1973 so just went to the DVLA office and they sorted it out there and then.

I would phone the DVLA office near you and see what they say. I can't see why you need to involve the DVLA rep for the club as nothing is wrong apart from the tax class which is an obvious error.

I took my old log buff log book and older style V5 into the DVLA office at Northampton and they generated a new Tax Disc on the spot.

The new V5 turned up later with the tax class changed to Historic.

They even looked back through the archives for me to see if they could find the original entry and change the capacity, but alas no records existed so it remains 850 CC on the log book.

Peter

Austin Harris
I can't see why you need to involve the DVLA rep for the club as nothing is wrong apart from the tax class which is an obvious error.

Yes, you are more than likely correct.

I've always just automatically gone through the club as it is far simpler for me to do that than trying to get into the centre of Glasgow before the DVLA office shuts and then wait in an invariably long queue with my children. Simple tasks no longer exist for me!

Good luck Ray and do let us now how you get on.

We had the same problem when we bought the Opal a couple of years ago, taxation class got changed to PLG. My father, being of a letter writting generation, sent it back to DVLA with a letter explaining the error of their ways and received a new V5C back with the correct Historic Vehicle tax class.

I have been in touch with the DVLA office in Chester and they
told me that they will not issue a V5C without proof of manufacture.

I did suggest that I could forward to them the V5C and a 1985 MOT cirtificate, but they declined my offer.

I now have to get authentication from Pre-War Austin Seven Club.

Same thing happened to me recently. My V5C stated PLG.
I telephoned Swansea and they initialy said I needed to prove year of manufacture but then corrected themselves and admitted that they must already
have seen proof of the year of manufacture as it was stated in the V5C.

They told me to attend my local DVLA office in Lincoln and they issued me with a 12 month Historic disc on the spot. Result.

Ray Bancroft
I have been in touch with the DVLA office in Chester and they
told me that they will not issue a V5C without proof of manufacture.

I did suggest that I could forward to them the V5C and a 1985 MOT cirtificate, but they declined my offer.

I now have to get authentication from Pre-War Austin Seven Club.

Ray

Try the DVLA in Shrewsbury, Iv'e never had any problems there. Never big ques either.

As noted if the V5C already states that the date of manufacture is 1936, someone at Chester is being inept at best, or incompetent at worst.

I think the main problem is that it states on the V5C that the date of first
registration and not manufacture.

It also states on the V5C the first date of registration in the UK.

Hopefully, with the assistance of Mr Peter Rowlands of PWA7C,
and a fellow PWA7C member Mr Ray Roberts, I'll have this annoying problem
sorted once and for all!

Thank you for all your comments and advice.