Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1922 Austin 7 Sports

Would the VSCC accept it I wonder??

Now that is an absolute beauty, so much more than a special.

The attention to detail and the fact that it is not festooned with gimp really makes it for me...I'd buy it, if Rosie would let me...

hi ivor,
yep a beauty.

it may not be to practicle in its current form though.

although it shouldn`t have dampers,i think i`d put them on.

Hello
The car does have a VSCC buff form which was issued to Barry Clarke in 2008 recording it as a 1922 Austin Sports. As you know these eligibility documents are issued to a car's owner and are not transferrable but I imagine there is a fair chance that having issued one they will issue another to the next owner.
Regards - Gavin

I'm not sure why they wouldn't accept it?

What class it goes under be a bit more interesting though, is it a special or standard?

I seem to recall that Barry Clarke is on the VSCC eligibility committee so I can't see any problems arising ;)

Austin Harris
I seem to recall that Barry Clarke is on the VSCC eligibility committee so I can't see any problems arising ;)

Very dangerous statement

What would happen if a new owner tried to register this intending to drive it on the road? It did not previously exist as a car, and all the parts are neither from one year nor one vehicle. Would it get a Q plate? And would it need type approval like a kit car? It might even need such niceties as anti-lock brakes and air bags.
It seems to revolve around whether all components are over 25 years old (probably not) and whether the chassis is modified (which it is).

Hello
The car is road legal with a V5C and a current MoT.
Hope this answers your question.
Gavin

dont see why it should have a Q plate.

wont it go on the road with the reg number it has on it?.

what GAVIN could answer for me though out of interest.

the write up suggests its an altered latter chassis? what is the year of manufacture on the V5c.as it is being sold as a 1922 car?

thanks tony

Considering the apparent attention to detail in mechanical specification, it seems a shame that the body is not a closer match to the original: the tail looks to be too high, and the side and scuttle treatment looks all wrong...

I agree that the Light Car and Cyclecar picture gives a good view of the quite attractive shape which doesn't seem to agree with the rather kicked up tail on the reproduction. A pity given the picture was available.

The chassis was apparenly a later pair of siderails mated to an early nosepiece - giving rise to the question of chassis number.

A good attempt but not perfect - and still a reproduction - but you pays your money and you has your choice.

Tony.

hi tony,
your words are very true,

but we must also remember here,the picture would have been drawn to give the idea of what the car would look like.

when it comes to manufacture things may have been changed.

also with a drawing you are looking at the hole side of the car at the same time.with a photo you are looking out of the camara to a radius.if you see what i meen.

same as the bonet,the drawing just shows it to be there.it gives no reference to fit.and if it is a one or two piece.and notice there are no straps or clips to hold it down in the drawing.

the car is a good start with alot of rear parts on it,the new owner can always hunt down those other early parts.

for instance i have a complete set of cassings with the fins on the side tubes 6inch.

E Lowe
Austin Harris

Very dangerous statement

It was meant in jest, hence the ;) at the end.

It's registered on a 1925 logbook/chassis and in my view it's a bit of harmless, fun, the car never existed in the first place.

I praise Barry for the effort he put in to recreate something original and from a historical point of view I think it's a bloody good effort and which ever way you look at it, it's another seven on the road and I'd love to see it running (or should that be bouncing?) around.

I have no connection with Barry by the way!

Well, as they'd say hereabouts, Ah thank it's darlin'!

Super car.

What the vintage car game should be about.