Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin Boyd Carpenter Sports 1929 for sale

The car looks great but not too much room for two burly occupants? Was it run unsupercharged?
Simon

I have no idea Simon.
They say 32 were built. I suppose this is a series well known by the people here. They just don't seem much interested.
I find the body line a bit heavy but it's a matter of taste.
Renaud

Renaud/Simon,
According to the Austin Seven Source Book by Bryan Purves The Boyd Carpenter had flattened front and rear springs but without the bowed front axle. No mention of supercharging but the engine was fitted with a special crankshaft and special large overlap/quick opening inlet valves. Inlet (and exhausts?) were opened out and polished,deck heights of pistons set and face of the block machined to the correct compression ratio for that particular engine (not sure what that means). Could be ordered with Solex or Zenith carbs,single or double set-up. Could also be ordered with an LAP. o/head vale conversion and fitted with Claudel Hobson carb. "Clutch lightened and balanced". Remote gearchange,10/44 CWP. £197 10s 0d Standard model OHV model extra £25.
65mph guaranteed, 50mph in 2nd, 28 in 1st. In 1931 price reduced to £192 10s 0d. No production figures given. I think it would look better with a shorter tail.
Dave.

Dave Wortley
I think it would look better with a shorter tail.
Dave.

But then where would you put your golf clubs?

Regards, Stuart

Stuart,
Good point. I think that was one of the selling points wasn't it?
Dave.

Dave Wortley
Stuart,
Good point. I think that was one of the selling points wasn't it?
Dave.

I would install a third seat for a (small) kid or the dog in the tail myself .
Just joking, sorry!
Seriously, thanks for the details of the make Dave.
Is it me or the place here is very quiet? Do you in GB have the same wonderful sunny weather we have after nearly three windy dreadful month? That could explain people driving their cars at least, not keyboarding!
Renaud

Gentlemen
Did the BC car have the vertically mounted spare wheel in the tail or was this the Gordon England bodied car? A photo of what was discovered should answer many questions.
Simon T

Renaud,
I agree,not much controversial stuff at the moment,Grasshoppers or TT ulsters haven't been mentioned for months. Apathy seems to be the mood in the UK at the moment.Must be the long hard winter.
Simon,
The BC has its spare wheel mounted on the nearside halfway between front and back wheels.There are no doors to get in the way. Wasn't it the GE Brooklands that had the spare wheel mounted vertically and longitudinally in the tail,the protruding bit of wheel being covered by a neat hump made of beaten aluminium?
Dave.

Dave Wortley
..I agree,not much controversial stuff at the moment, Grasshoppers or (TT) Ulsters haven't been mentioned for months. Apathy seems to be the mood in the UK at the moment.

You'll be pleased to know I've broken the apathy in Topic 'Choke Knob ....'

Sandy Croall

You'll be pleased to know I've broken the apathy in Topic 'Choke Knob ....'

Only Sandy, I could not on my life understand what it is about!
Renaud

What is something like this worth I wonder? Is there a history file with an "as discovered" photo? Still looks like a great wee car.
Simon

Simon
Spare wheel on the Boyd is mounted on the passenger side scuttle
At least it is on mine and one other very original I know of
Bob

It appears that the car has a wheel centre with a hubcap on the passenger rear- My 29 and 30 cars don't have this- except for the one with the later brakes. I am curious as to what others think. I like the car though- very twenties.
Peter