Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
REMOVING ENGINE FROM 1927 CHUMMY

I solved the problem of lifting the engine out.
I made an extension that fits my engine stand using similar size steel square tube.
It is an L 5FT x 3FT with a brace across the right angle. 2 3/8 threaded rods are welded at the bottom of the long side and these fit around the engine stand upright and with a suitable packer and a steel plate and nuts it is is held upright. A piece of tube that fits into the engine stand is welded onto the upright and this fixes the height and is held with the usual pin. A lug is welded on the end of the short piece to take a block and tackle. I welded mine right around the tube. (not a wonderful welder!) I use one length of rope and put around the rear and front and join them together with a reef knot (easy to undo).

Lift the engine and put on a bench. Remove the block and tackle, attach the engine stand atttachement and then slide it into the engine stand.

I found that the only way to attach it is to remove the gearbox , clutch and ussng a piece of wood attached to the clutch housing the engine stand attachement can be bolted to this. It is great for working on the engine.