Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LAP overhead valve cylinder head

Has any forumist got one,had one,or used an LAP head?
Did they give a useful performance increase over a tuned side valve.
From the pictures I have seen the inlet manifold is cast into the head with the carb mounted to the outside of the cylinder head.
Would any one have any bits for sale?

Re: LAP overhead valve cylinder head

Are you talking about the LAP overhead valve conversion? If so, then yes, I have driven a Boyd Carpenter a number of times with one of these fitted.

It sounds completely different from a normal Austin Seven and although there was no "significant" difference in top speed or pick up the car definitely had noticeably more torque.

Parts are very rare and I concluded that the effort in amassing these and fitting them outweighed the gains I noticed in driving it.

The car is less than a mile from me here and if you would like photos and more information I am happy to help further.

Austin in the shed
From the pictures I have seen the inlet manifold is cast into the head with the carb mounted to the outside of the cylinder head.

Barry Clarke knows about them. I had a long chat with him and he considered them a duff idea when it came to performance. The cast in inlet manifold has to negotiate the push rod holes and is very limiting.

Charles

Thanks for the offer Ruairidh,I had wondered how good,or bad the combustion chamber shape was.
I have considered trying to OHV with an OHC morris minor head as Brian King has done,but the combustion chamber shape is similar to an "A" series engine,with studs through the inlet ports,then there is the cam drive issues.

You are very welcome, I will attempt to obtain some photos of the combustion chamber for you.

I know of one other LAP OHV conversion in use and that belongs to John Harris, it is fitted in his GE Cup Model. He has used this car for many years on this set up. E-mail me if you require his contact details, he a wonderfully helpful man and will quite honest in his practical experience of this conversion.

Ruairidh Dunford
You are very welcome, I will attempt to obtain some photos of the combustion chamber for you.

Hi Dave,

sorry it took me so long to find these, I hope they are of use to you....

photo DSC_0202_zps0850d8b8.jpg

photo DSC_0201_zpsfcd4da70.jpg

photo DSC_0199_zpse7af3156.jpg

Ruairidh Dunford
Ruairidh Dunford

Hi Dave,

sorry it took me so long to find these, I hope they are of use to you....

photo DSC_0202_zps0850d8b8.jpg

photo DSC_0201_zpsfcd4da70.jpg

photo DSC_0199_zpse7af3156.jpg

I think Barry was right. That look a bit crap!

Charles

A candid appraisal if ever I saw one.

I have a LAP OHV conversion on a 1926 MG (Morris Engine) and it gives excellent service, indeed given the extra bottom-end torque, it will traverse most hills without a gear change.

Going back to the discussion on this interesting A7 OHV conversion, I have found a note in a 1975 '750 Bulletin' which states that according to Barry Clark these were sold by an engineering firm called LAP Engineering of Putney. The article goes on to quote an article by Ian Norris from The Austin Magazine regarding a GE Cup Model on display at Beaulieu in Jan 1964 fitted with an OHV conversion sold in the 20's by Mr Anthony Lago, a Frenchman who had a business in London. Lago is better known for his post war associations with Lago Talbot racing cars.
Not sure if these were all LAP OHV conversion or even the one Ruairidh is referring to but there could be connections - I originally thought that LAP was made in France?

Tony.

Charles P
Austin in the shed

Barry Clarke knows about them. I had a long chat with him and he considered them a duff idea when it came to performance. The cast in inlet manifold has to negotiate the push rod holes and is very limiting.

Charles

Is this the Barry Clarke who was the first to win the Spero and Voiturette trophies simultaneously?

Yes he won both in the same year in the Rolt Ulster, but not simultaneously that wouldnt be possible, the races took place a different times!

alan skelthorn
Yes he won both in the same year in the Rolt Ulster, but not simultaneously that wouldnt be possible, the races took place a different times!

I didn't realize that. I knew that there are only three drivers who had achieved winning both trophies in the same year and assumed the format was the same as present.
I believe Hornby and Hernandez are the other two.

I was searching for an image to put to a letter from L.M. Williams about OHV heads from 1950, here when I read here that LAP were based in Putney. If you read the next post, you will see why that feels rather serendipitous!

Coming to this party a little late, only just found this website.

We have one of these LAP Overhead valve heads, it came on a '26 Chummy Dad bought 40+ years ago. It's destined for the new engine in our Type "65"

Cheers
Greig

Port Elizabeth
Sunny South Africa

LAP Engineering Co were based at 1A High Road Kilburn London NW6. Tel No Maida vale 4273.

They made ohv conversions for Morris Cowley, Oxford and MG Sports ( Morris engined) £24

Austin 12hp £30

Austin 7hp £25

They claimed increases acceleration, power on hills and maximum speed