Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ruby Battery Box

Should there be anything within a Ruby battery box to prevent the battery from sliding about?
I know I could make up something suitable but was interested if there was anything official.

Re: Ruby Battery Box

Hello Brian. Yes there is a clamp located with two long bolts with wing nuts. However they're such a fiddle to replace most are missing and as the battery can't go anywhere they're usually missing. If you want one try Tony Betts as he has had them in the past.
Regards
Stuart Joseph

Don't know about the Ruby but the battery box on an RP doesn't leave a lot of space around the battery & getting the long clamps fixed in place is a fiddly job. However, even though you're exempt MOT these days, an insecure battery is a reason for failure and would be evidence of "dangerous condition" under Construction & Use Regulations. I would advocate some method of ensuring that it's properly fixed in place(and not just wedged with an old cloth). Sulphuric acid does wierd and painful things to human flesh....

I cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to fit the floor of the battery/tool box and then screwed wood cleats in appropriate locations to keep the battery in place. I believe it also tends to spread the weight of the battery over a larger area.
Robert. Drove the finished Ruby in the sunshine last week!!

Robert Hauge
Drove the finished Ruby in the sunshine last week!!

Great news!