Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ken Miles's Austin Seven

Many will have heard of the racing driver Ken Miles, who became well-known driving AC Cobras for Carroll Shelby in the USA and later drove for the Ford Sports Car team in international races. He was tragically killed in a test accident driving the Ford 'J' car - the prototype for the Mark Two sports prototype.

Miles was born in Sutton Coldfield and in 1933 was apprenticed at Wolesley Motors in Birmingham. He became a motor racing enthusiast at an early age, but could not afford to compete. He served in the Army during World War II and in August 1941 Motor Sport published a letter from him describing the Austin Seven he had built. A friend of mine is researching Mile's early days in Britain and wondered if the car still exists. He does not have a registration number, but I wondered if anyone recognises Miles's description of the Special:

"1929 vintage. which has been persuaded to motor reasonably rapidly, the recipe being: Reduced frontal area; body lowered 6 inches so that a starting handle will not go in as the radiator is in the way; new bearings right through; crank reground and ends re-metalled with decent metal; pistons by Wellworthy, aluminium cylinder head, valve springs by Terry, valves by KE; caburation by a large downdraught S.U. through a special manifold and polished ports; flywheel turned down somewhat and clutch backed by stronger springs and ignition by Scintilla. The crank and rods are of the later 1932 pattern. According to the rev-counter, which is a new 6-in Smiths MA, the engine will hold 5,500rpm without coming apart and since the car was intended to go places and get there the 4.9:1 rear axle is retained, so the maximum speed isn't anything to boast about. She steers fairly well, thanks to an extra set of Hartfords at the hinder end and an extra Austin shock-absorber at the front."

"The seating position necessitates a remote control 2 feet long, but she is quite comfortable to drive. I brought her home from Scotland to Sutton Coldfield with a passenger and all our kit after a fortnight in an R.A. camp 358 miles in exactly 10 hours by two good watches and I didn't feel tired when I got home. She is built largely from bits scrounged and panelled with alloy from an old Sunbeam and a few bits of old zinc poster board. She only cost me £12 to buy and rebuild including four new tyres."

Does that jog any memories?

Re: Ken Miles's Austin Seven

Julian
I think the J Type was actually the forerunner of the Mark 1V. I remember in the late summer of 1966 hearing of his fatal accident, a bad year for the Ford programme after Walt Hansgen was killed at the Le Mans test weekend.
Simon

Re: Ken Miles's Austin Seven

Simon

You are quite right. My apologies.