Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rp saloon Windscreen

Hi Info required if possible please on my rp Windscreen Just about to fit glass in, is the screen fitted in with sealant, and a rubber, also what about you wiper motor as I am sure that the old glass had no holes drilled for the motor has anyone done this before, thank you
Graham

Re: Rp saloon Windscreen

Graham,

If you fit the size of glass that's the same as you took out, it will be clear of the windscreen wiper fittings.

I have only used the rubber, not a sealant, IF I recall rightly.

Also at the bottom of the screen surround there should be two drain holes, one at either end.
The original glass in its rubber surround sat on top of a couple of cork spacers to allow any water that got down into the lower part of the surround (and it does) to get away...

Thinking about the last para. I'm not sure if there were any holes in the rubber surround at the bottom too, I haven't got an old one to look at now.

Thanks Sandy so nothing drilled as far as you know for the motor, the top of the glass must just sit on the brass brackets that joins the top frame to the lower frame so there is a gap for the motor spindle above the screen,
wished I took a photo when i took it out 15 years ago
Graham

Graham,
Just for reference;
The screen dimension for a saloon, 1932 - 1934 is:
34 15/16 x 11 15/16 x 1.4 "
Bottom corners radiused to suit, no cut outs or drillings.
Austin's offered these in Plain (!) Triplex & Triplex toughened glass.

Hi Graham,
I have emailed you a photo of my spare screen glass which shows an indentation at the top of the screen for the motor bolts clearance and the clamp for closing the screen with at the bottom centre.
I will have to investigate loading photos up to this site sometime.

Roger

hi Chris that's just what I need thank you, I have found a screen but not sure it's from a RP
Graham

Chris Garner
Graham,
Just for reference;
The screen dimension for a saloon, 1932 - 1934 is:
34 15/16 x 11 15/16 x 1.4 "
Bottom corners radiused to suit, no cut outs or drillings.
Austin's offered these in Plain (!) Triplex & Triplex toughened glass.

Unless it's bullet proof glass, Chris, I think that last dimension should be 1/4"!!

Ian Mc.

Roger
... my spare screen glass which shows an indentation at the top of the screen for the motor bolts clearance and the clamp for closing the screen with at the bottom centre...

Roger, IF your screen surrounds are for the RP, then the 'Clamp' does not intrude on the glass at all.

Again, I've check three screen I have in the garage, which although all up together, are outwith the cars, and all have clear holes for the windscreen wiper bolts etc.,
As I have assembled these myself over the last few years, I stand by my comment that (correctly dimensioned) RP windscreen glass does not need any 'indentations', also IF the cork spacers are left out in the bottom channel, the top of the glass almost misses the top channel.

I don't have a spare glass anywhere to check the sizes, but I do know mine where cut as per Austin Motor Co's dim's. quoted by Chris above (Part Nos. 3A-224, 5B-2150 & 3A-2305) and 1/4" thick...

sandy, the cork spacers I take it can just be made to suit , have you an idea of size,
Regards
Graham

Sandy,

On reflection mine came with the car but not actualy fitted so may well be the wrong one, especialy as the surround was well corroded steel. I understand that the RP surround was originally plated brass.
The clamp bolts do they go all the way through the frame?

Roger

Graham,

I think I used a bit of spare cork that forms the valve chest cover seal on the RP, which is < 1/4" square, or circa 5 - 6mm - It's cold outside in the garage, and I'm nice and warm by the fire with (another) glass of Spitfire to hand. , so I'm not inclined to potter out there to check....

Thinking about it, I may have bedded the cork in some windscreen sealant to hold it in place, but not copiuos amounts to allow a build up of water in the bottom part of the frame.

As a total aside, but refering to drain holes, the rims of our RP period wheels have a few holes in them as well to let out any trapped water, these are usally blocked internally by gunge/rust/sludge, or externally by a heavy primer and/or paint job. If your looking for them they are very close to the tyre, and diametrically opposite each other..

Location: I've lost my map, but I'm somewhere west of Penzance...

Thanks sandy , understood I shall also check the wheels
graham

Roger, I have made the new brass brackets, indeed they do go through the frame with 2ba screws
Graham

Roger - re your mention of steel versus brass surrounds, I had a feeling there was discussion this Forum some time ago, but can't find it. Others should know - perhaps the standard RP had steel, the DeLuxe brass? Cheers, Bill

Bill,

I will check my RP surrounds, I have both types (from Standard & De-Luxe Models) but they are all Chrome, and I seem to recall the main metal is brass - none of mine (Four) have any rust on them anyway.

The RN's are probably steel and they were painted black, though all E.& O.E.

If I could drag myself away from yet another 'Spitfire' Ale and the cosy fire, I could check the Source Book, but ......

Sandy, now while I am keen to get on with the RP would you have any pictures of the throttle linkage complete I have the bar across the front rod from the advance to distributor and 2 small arms but what is the order they go in I think there are two more missing and a spring can you help on this one
Regards
Graham

Graham
Roger, I have made the new brass brackets, indeed they do go through the frame with 2ba screws
Graham

The screws were originally 3/16" BSF as were the fixing screws for the door hinges, semaphore indicators and all the small fixings except electrical which do appear to be BA.

If you run a 2BA tap through an original captive nut you will be left with not much thread!

Graham,

I will take the camera out and snap some linkage,
will post on Forum after lunch.

.........Basically I have an RP in bits and one on the road ....
....and bits and pieces that have accumulated over the years..

Throttle Linkage componants...

In this picture :-
A = Throttle Pedal
B = Linkage to Steering Column Throttle lever
C = Cross tube, note the fixed collar is at Pedal end.
D = Lever to Carb linkage
E = (Return) Spring - (Which I couldn't find quickly)

This shows the Throttle Pedal end of the linkage in-situ and grotty (It is a everyday working car!!).

The RED bit is to show there is a gap here in the linkage between the Throttle Pedal and the steering column linkage.

Finally on the near side this is the arrangement to the Carb linkage and shows the spring 'E' in place.

Hope that helps, the offset of the cross piece is obvious once you see where the cotters go on the two end linkage arms..

BTW are you happy now with the Windscreen ?

Reading your last plea (properly), it seems you may not have these two linkage levers, only the two small levers at the bottom of the steering column, and what you actually want to know is what is the arrangement between the steering column arm and the main throttle linkage etc.,

Is that correct? ... Time for dog walks now though...

Edit - I thought there might have been an illustration in Woodrow's or 'The Austin 7 Centre's' Catalogue of the parts, but we only have Austin's own list of parts which can be viewed here on page 14 (23/24 in actual List of Parts), BUT not all the relavant parts are shown.... either.

Expanding on my post of 2 hours ago....

In this view :-
A = Throttle Pedal
B = Throttle Link arm to Steering Column Throttle Lever
H = Steering Column Throttle Lever
J = Link between B and H
K = Distributor Advance and Retard Lever/Rod
M = Starter Motor Positive Cable.
...... The green bit underneath is the near the end of the Earth 'Starter' Cable
...... It goes to one of the mounting bolts on the Starter Motor - Direct from the Battery.
...... There's also another cable comes off that bolt to a multi-way connecter for all
...... the 'Earth' related cables at the front, like the headlights etc.,
N = Horn Button Cable

The Braided bit (by the letter 'B') is not a snake etc.,
but part of the wiring loom for the headlights dip-switch.. ..

As can just be made out, I use 'R' clips instead of 'Split Pins' in these locations too.

Again this is on the 'working' car, not a 'Garage' car.
So, Mr 'X', stop emailing me to tell me my car looks a mess...

Sandy Croall

Again this is on the 'working' car, not a 'Garage' car.
So, Mr 'X', stop emailing me to tell me my car looks a mess...

Looks perfectly fine to me Sandy!

Can I pinch some of these shots for the RP Pinterest site please, or do I need to invest in several pints of Tribute or Knocker?

Sandy what can I say first class, I shall now lay out the bits to see what is missing, the screen and linkage should keep me busy for a time, many thanks for your pictures just shows what a great forum this is
Regards
Graham

Of course you can use the photo's etc.,

Unfortunatly I'm not a great fan of St. Austell Ale's
....and Skinners Knocker etc., I've had to many end of the barrel pints to be happy..
.... and I normally drink Cider,
...mind you the Spitfire I had last night ...

Is the windscreen frame like this?

If so it is RL/RM/RN. Definatly so if it is steel (like Rogers). The frame on this is actually one of Dave Manns excellent repros in brass. The hinge is an original steel item.

The RP's are brass, and quite a complex section. Apparently slightly different in shape which mean an earlier screen will fit a later car, but the fit is poor. And vice versa.

Sadly I have no pictures of a RP one, fathers car is about 60mile away.

Hedd the two holes at centre bottom show it's not an RP screen, I will photo first thing in morning...

Unfortunately all mine have glass in so I cannot use a drawer to support it.

Hi looks the same from the picture as my RP but mine is chrome on brass, had mine rechromed at great expence, had to cut the front roof panel out and renew so hope the screen fits of course I did measure it before repair
Graham

Does yours have a pressing in the middle (where my two holes are) to connect to the screen catch? So the bolts dont go through the glass.

I seem to recall Dave Mann telling me that a firm in Manchester by the name of Northern Windscreens (?) made replacement screens in the dim and distant past, I think very much in the style of the RL,RM,RN screens but in chromed brass. These probably confuse the matter.

Graham,
Here is the steel framed screen that came with my RP,it appeared to fit ok but only offered it up by hand, but then I was given a brass one.
The vaccuum wiper motor also came with the car, does anyone know if it is correct and how does it fastens to the screen.

Roger

Right here's a few photo's of one of my 'spare' RP Screens, they should be self explanatory.

But.. The first two are the external screws in top corners that screw into an internal brass right angle bracket.

The 'Lip' on the inside bottom of the surround to attach the window opening lever to.
- The hazy one to be seen, is a reflection in the glass of the easily seen one.....

One of the holes near the corner on the underside of the frame to drain away any trapped water.

Roger mine is the same as sandys, thanks to hedd
Graham

Graham,

I have just braved the cold and checked my brass screen it too is as per Sandy's.
I was worried about fitting the wiper motor that I had as the Centre shaft is too big to fit the frame but it appears to be a ford one not an A7 one, so ebay here I come.

Roger

Roger, yes that's a Ford one etc.,

I would go straight for a DW3 electric wiper motor, and if you want to upgrade the sweep of the blade, there is (would you believe) an article on the Cornwall Club's web site here by one of the regular contributors on this Forum.

The last one I had off Ebay a couple of weeks ago was £10,
so no need to go mad, just hang around until the right price comes along..

Of course you could fit a vacuum type, but I've got rid of mine,
because they don't wipe when you want them too ...
Yes, I know they work great on other peoples cars, but on mine.

Roger , thought that was a lot different than mine I have seen the motors for sale in various places including beaulieu once the screen is in I shall start the rewire now that's another thing I am not looking forward to but it doesn't look to bad on paper
Graham

Roger
Graham,

I have just braved the cold and checked my brass screen it too is as per Sandy's.
I was worried about fitting the wiper motor that I had as the Centre shaft is too big to fit the frame but it appears to be a ford one not an A7 one, so ebay here I come.

Roger

Roger,

The bad news is that good RP windscreens are like rocking horse sh1t.

The good news is that so are useable RL,RM,RN ones!. Even if only the hinge is useable.

As far as I'm aware The RL, RM & RN had steel stove enamelled black windscreen frames of which there are at least 2 different methods of attaching the frame to the hinge. The RP had a chrome plated brass frame of as Hedd says "quite complex section.
I have come across at least 4 brass frames having a hinge similar to the RP and the lower section the same as the RN (this extrusion is still available and is what I use for replacement RL, RM, RN frames)made by Northern Windscreens Manchester. One of these frames resides on a friends standard RP which was rolled in about 1936 and presumably the original windscreen was beyond repair. I have no idea what became of Northern Windscreens.

In view of the alleged rarity of these frames, what would be a fair & reasonable price to pay for one please? (Reminder I said fair & reasonable, not ridiculous ebay prices). Cheers, Bill

Disappointed to see no-one has made a guesstimate. To be clear, I meant UK price, not Oz. Cheers, Bill

OK Bill, I'll stick my kneck out, I'd guess for an original, unglazed, RP frame in reasonable condition - around the £50 mark??

Ian Mc.

Thank you Ian. Cheers, Bill

Bill,

I paid £80.00 for mine last year in fair condition complete with glass and catch.

Roger

Thanks too to you, Roger. Cheers, Bill

I have an Austin 7 Ruby 1935. I am trying to remove the glass front windscreen from the metal surround.Have you any advice how to do this as i am unable to separate. Regards Syd

put a hammer through the glass, then carefully prise the remains out with a screwdriver.

When I dismantled my 38 Ruby I drilled the heads off the 4 screws half way up the side bars of the screen. The frame then pulls apart and the glass can be removed. I then had 2 new drilled/tapped strips made to re-assemble the screen.

My AVJ van windscreen - basically an RP - is coming off as soon as rallying is finished. I hope to dismantle it and get it replated, so I'm grateful for all the above info.

Incidentally I have a Lucas electric wiper.

I would be most grateful if someone could send me centre to centre lengths for the levers/rods marked K J and H in the picture of the throttle and ignition hand controls at the base of the steering column.
These 4 items are missing from my car and It would save me a lot of fiddling time if I had the correct lengths in order to make up some replacements.

Best regards
John

John,

all these parts are shown as available in Willie McKenzie's online catalogue:

Advance & retard linkages bottom £14.
Advance & retard rods £14. pair

You can get him on 01202 625242

Re: Rp saloon Sunroof

Hi sandy ,happy new year,some time ago I bought a sunroof kit (wood) from Mac bonar, would you know if these kits were for the sliding section or the rear, I know Mac is not well at this time so didn't wish to bother him can you help on this
Graham