Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Foyle's war

I notice that the car driven by Foyle has an incorrect reg. for the period. The letters should come before the numbers.The Series E is also wrong.I do remember that at some time letter/numbers were reversed but at a later date than Foyle.I stand corrected if this is not so - may be someone better informed would like to comment please.Lets hope May will be warmer! Best wishes to all Austin Seven people. Geoff.

Re: Foyle's war

701 LFT, Reversed 3-Letter Index Mark.

Well LFT is not in my Glass's Guide which covers up to 1964.

The earliest issue of 3-Letter reversed I can see flicking through the pages is 1955.
(Edit - earliest Reversed 3-Letter is Middlesex, March 1954, so far!!
... The vast majority of Reversed 3-Letter seem to be circa 1960...
... and LFT was never issued as a Preceeding Reg No. either.
... FT is a Tynemouth Reg No., issued first in Dec. 1903
... and the last Number 'FT 9970' was issued in 1957).

As an 'Austin', 701 LFT is not on the DVLA database either.

I would imagine we are dealing with a possible new issue plate and/or a 'Theatre/Film' one - Doesn't exist....

I tried the Tyre web sites by putting in the Reg No, again nothing (I did cross reference two of my cars as a check and the details came up - 1934 Austin Seven)..

LFT must have been issued because there's a Cherished Number for sale '9 LFT'..

Last night's episode dates the series to around 1945 and the Attlee election. There was talk of a National Health Service which did not commence until Ny Bevan produced it in 1948.

The DVLA enlighten us with the following ....

By the mid 1930s, the two letter/four number series of registration marks were exhausted in some areas, and new three letter/three number series were introduced. AAA 1 was issued (by Hampshire County Council) in 1934 through to AAA 999 and the commencement of the BAA series in 1936. This process continued until the mid 1950s when marks were reversed to three numbers/three letters.

Worse clanger still was the Routemaster bus - not introduced to at least 1956 and then only as a few pre-production vehicles. Production in ernest started in 1959.

Mike

At the end of last nights episode there was a preview of the next one , and I believe it showed a chrome rad Seven so could be something to watch out for.
I did spot the Routemaster bus and the iffy registrations for a 1945 setting too.
I must say that both BBC and the commercial companies do not go to enough trouble to satisfy us nit-pickers, they spend enough on the dramas as a whole but why not complete the scenario properly and have vehicles with appropriate registrations. Either get the proper vehicles with the correct reg or even put false pltes on. I gather most of the shots for Foyles War were shot in Ireland so the DVLA in the UK would not be interested in dodgy-plated vehicles being driven about.
Oh it annoys me, or am I getting to be a grumpy old f**t?
Brian

Mike,

The introduction of the Routemaster was contemporary with the introduction, but slow to be applied,
BR all over Maroon Coach livery with the 'British Railways' Roundle in the middle of the coach body ...
to be seen in a number of shots during the programme.

The Coach is too late for my period of interest (Edwardian) so can't comment on the coach type/models seen.
(Models as in Class etc., not Models as in Bachmann Hornby .....).

Good to hear from you again Mike. Did the Big Bunny bring you an egg this year..

Brian Murrish
......Oh it annoys me, or am I getting to be a grumpy old f**t?
The Jury may be out on the latter part of this, but did you see they have had trouble recruiting locals for the new programme called XXXX, covering a hundred years in a Village life where of the, say, 100 locals, only approx 15 didn't have body piercings, dyed hair, tanning or tatoo's, and thus possibly suitable to be cast in crowd scenes etc.,

I will amend XXXX when I find the article again.

Sandy,
Do you mean "The Village" which was broadcast yesterday evening. The series was set in Hadfield in the Peak District,the same place that "The League of Gentlemen" was filmed,in which it was called "Royston Vasey",the real name of a blue(ish) comedian Roy "Chubby" Brown. I haven't had time to check these facts on that unreliable oracle Wickepedia.This all sounds like Radio Middle Class 4 programme "Front Row" I live about 20 miles away from Hadfield but I don't remember ever going. I think I had better get tattooed before I venture over there.
Dave.

I've had my Ruby registered with a classic car TV/Film agency for nearly four years now, and never had a sniff! Whenever I watch these programmes (Foyle's War, Poirot...) I'm always conscious of my wife giving me a 'dream-on' look, perhaps because of the grumbling noises which seem to emenate uncontrollably from the back of my throat, followed by a quietly mouthed rendition of 'It could have been me...' Has anybody else had any luck in using their car in a film/ TV programme? Got any suggestions?

There seem so few period dramas set here in Cornwall, even though both my cars have been on film registers for several years, again not a sniff. However there is one car collector in West Cornwall, I gather, who has a stash of period vehicles. When a film company needs something he has, the company send a low loader down ,take away what vehicles they need, use them and bring them back by low loader. Nice income if you can get it.
Sandy, I hope you can provide warmer weather for your run next week. We went to St.Keverne for lunch today, in a modern with some friends, and met a brass monkey coming the other way!!
Brian

I love these period programmes with "period cars"

The best I recall was Poirot where a Mk VI Bentley crashed and an inside view, when upside down, became an Austin Princess A135.

Anyway to last night how did Foyle's Hillman - bottom mounted wipers - become top mounted when Sam was driving him back from Barton Hall in the rain (having driven there in the Hillman?) ? Also the (clip on) overtaking mirror on the Austin 10 didn't appear until the 1960's - to clip on the mini front external seam?

At this point Sue groaned so I didn't mention the series E or bus!

(1938 Ruby with clip on flashers)

John

I think the best earner must be the 2 Taxi,s that appear in every Poirot program

The Village, that's the one, last night? Oh, I was fettling some A7 parts..

Brian Murrish
.....Sandy, I hope you can provide warmer weather for your run next week....
I hope so too Brian, I keep looking at the long range Marine and Met Office forecast's, not promising at present - went through the Ford the other day, deep, but should be OK by Sunday.

Nigel was in Brittany
I think the best earner must be the 2 Taxi,s that appear in every Poirot program

Speaking of nit picking the opening credits of Poirot always annoy me. They show lots of nice 30s art deco stuff like an A4 locomotive and Battersy Power Station. But the power station has four chimneys. I thought they only built the second half in the 50s?

I am guessing people know about this already but here is where to look for cars in tellie programmes: IMCDb.org

John,
I thought that Foyle's car was a Humber, seems a bit big for a Hillman but same basic shape, I might be wrong. WHAT SADDOS WE ARE!
Brian

Brian Murrish
...... WHAT SADDOS WE ARE!...

. . . .. Speak for yourself !!!!!! 'cause we're happy bunnies here.

PS - Careful what you say Brian, otherwise I won't let you drive me down fron John O'Groats in 2022..

SWMBO says Sam wears too many different outfits in the same week. And her husband wore 2 different suits. With clothes rationing, not much money, and moths to contend with, they would have worn the same clothes everyday.

But the bit that annoys me with Foyle's war is the constant squarky 'music' that drowns out much of the speech. Yes I am getting old bitter and twisted.

I have to ask- is this a new series? I thought the original series was to be the first and the last?

Tony.

Yes Tony, set just post war and Foyle is reluctantly recruited into MI5.

Ian Mc.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I watched the programme (and thought it was very enjoyable) and pointed out the transport related errors to my wife all the way through.

She really appreciated that.

I pointed out the box saloon on fire as well and said, that's like ours...she gave me a funny look and started rattling a box of matches....

andrew34ruby
....But the bit that annoys me with Foyle's war is the constant squarky 'music' that drowns out much of the speech. .....
I can't hear the music, we have the sound down low and sub-titles on..

'cause I'm partly deaf.... Ten o'clock? What...?

Re: Foyle's war - Last Episode

Two, possibly three A7's in the episode tonight..
The first one seen had no tax disc, and no headlining etc., as far as I could see, I didn't see which type though (RN or RP)

The Professor's car was an RN with a tax disc on the windscreen, when it was blown up, very little was left, and the steering wheel was running up/down the road... Not sure of relevance at present as not on 'ITV player' yet, or ITV+1....

When they properly inspect the (alleged) blown up car, it's an RP and nowhere near as damaged as in the first view of the blown up car - perhaps the steering wheel was still in place too?

Foyles staff car had some ludicrus lack of windscreen wiper action / sweep, yet when they pull up at a house (very soon), there's not a drop of rain on the windscreen.

I can't be bothered to go through the Reg. Nos. Oh and Honey whatser's names coat looked as if it was made of silk, or a very fine material, certainly more expensive than her apparent station in life..... No I'm not going to say about her husbands occupation etc.,

Sandy,
"Honeydew Melons" according to Terry Wogan.
Dave.

Sandy,

The same (Professors') Austin reappears in Germany after the explosion, Chassis visible at front and same body work!

Roger

Dave Wortley
Sandy,
"Honeydew Melons" according to Terry Wogan..
Oh, I didn't notice the melons....

Location: Curled up with dogs, the fire, Laptop, a rather decent Malt....and the Wife!

When I saw that steering wheel rolling down the road I half expected to see a clown go chasing after it. I don't expect I was supposed to laugh at that point but it had me in stiches!

Good to see that Cabinet Ministers resigned immediately when they were caught with their hand in the till, in those austerity post-war times!

Mike

Mike, you naughty boy, but it was Labour's first time as the Majority Party in Government (under Clement Attlee in 1945–51), perhaps they hadn't got the system worked out, yet....

Now, no more boys and girls, or the ManAgeMent will down on us ......

Anyway BBC4 now, 'From the Sea to the land Beyond', old films, nostalgia trip...

PS Edit - At 11.04 they were lifting timber out of a boat, one piece of chain around the load,
angled at about 35 degs, a wonder none of the planks etc., slipped out,
and a crowd of blokes stood underneath too....

Location: Curled up with dogs, the fire, Laptop, a rather decent Malt....and the Wife!

Ray White
When I saw that steering wheel rolling down the road I half expected to see a clown go chasing after it. ....
Don't worry Ray, it will be on Ebay later this week...

The first sighting of the A7 - without a tax disc - is an RN, probably the same one as later appears with a (correct period) tax disc.

I couldn't see the steering wheel in the burnt out car BTW....

TCB 731, it doesn't seem to appear in the Register of Surviving A7's, and I'm not at home, so can't get 'my known' URL link to 'Vehicle Enquiries' that I have used for years on the DVLA web site.... Have they re-jigged it all?

Sandy Croall
Ray White
When I saw that steering wheel rolling down the road I half expected to see a clown go chasing after it. ....
Don't worry Ray, it will be on Ebay later this week...

hi sandy,

do you think it will go on as UNTESTED

tony betts
....do you think it will go on as UNTESTED ...

It may well do Tony, plus "... as seen on TV ...", It will have some Provenance.
In fact there may be a rash/rush of the 'same' steering wheels on Ebay soon.

Wonder if the burnt RP's Chassis will become a special, 4 tyres looked to have survived, though the spare seemed to have gone minilemist.

I'm still bugged by the windscreen wipers action on Foyle's car though, still no MoT required, so must have been alright...... Hold on, wasn't the (mini) series filmed before last November....

Location: At Zennor Cafe, thanks for Excellent Service/Food yesterday, A7 Club Run

Here we go again, nit-picking. BUT did you notice that the mankey-grey'Long Johns' on the washing line had the later style of Y front whereas this style was not available at M & S until the late winter of 1948!

Not only that but my village in Suffolk didn't have a bath-house. It didn't have mains water until 1959. We had to find out what 'they' looked like by other subtle means.

This is also a good source for older vehicle car checks - you can also find out the most recent sales history UKVehicle.com Car Checks

Interesting to read the various comments regarding the use of vehicles which were incorrect to the supposed period of the story.
Just finished watching 'Our Zoo' which I thought was a very good programme. It concerned a family who wished to set up a zoo in the grounds of their home, which was later to become Chester Zoo. It was set, so we were lead to believe in the early 1920's not long after the end of the First World War, and some of the vehicles, particularly the taxicab were correct. However as the story unfolded the vehicles became more 'up to date' , but still 1920's based. However, in the final episode the minister arrived from London in a vey late 1930's Humber.saloon.
As one, who many years ago helped source vehicles for the film and T/V industry, such a faux pas would never have been tolerated, but I suppose today many people on the production teams of these programmes have no knowledge of what was on the road at any particular time long before they were born.
Oh yes, my 1929 Austin 16/6 did appear in several period production including 'Poirot'.