Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin Seven "Sports" on ebay.

Is this a very rare model, of which I have no knowledge, or a special?
If its a special as I think, then the claim that only 3000 were made is blatantly fraudulent!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1935-Austin-Seven-for-restoration-/281104839668?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item41732773f4

Stuart.

Re: Austin Seven "Sports" on ebay.

Yes Stuart, it's a Special and not a particularly nice one at that to my mind. Perhaps would be better with a different steering column/steering box so you could actually drive it with a degree of comfort!! Looking at the apparent height of the seat cushions, it looks like you sit on it rather than in it.

No doubt the other 2999 are waiting somewhere for buyers as well

Steve

Thanks Steve

I thought so, but before emailing the seller I thought I better check that it wasn't a slightly strange coach built car. The column is very odd, it doesn't appear to have been lowered at all.

I will email the seller and let him know that his statement is wrong. I find it highly offensive that a new person to Austin Sevens could be misled in this way. Maybe others would also like to inform the seller of his mistake?

All the best

Stuart.

The car certainly appears to be a special and is listed as one on the A7CA register. I'd agree that it's not one of the prettier examples of the breed!

The wording of the advert is more than somewhat confusing and I sent an enquiry to the seller yesterday, asking for clarification of what they believe the car to be, but haven't yet had a reply.

There's nothing to suggest that the seller isn't acting in perfectly good faith. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be very careful in my choice of words in this thread!

I've now had a response from the seller, who was keen to pick my brain (such as it is!), in order to get his listing as accurate as possible.

He seems to be quite genuine, if lacking in knowledge!

I know I'm new at this A7 lark but aren't those front brake backplates pre 1934? I thought they changed to the lozenge shape before that car was built.

Not nearly as nice as mine, on Sales and Wants on this website (plug) and Car and Classic http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C387181 (plug plug) and next weekend at Beaulieu Spring Autojumble (plug plug plug). Oh, did I mention I'm trying to sell mine?

Location: The Isle of Wight - the Wight place to drive old cars.

Steve Jones

...Perhaps would be better with a different steering column/steering box so you could actually drive it with a degree of comfort!!

Steve,
Didn't you know this was a special built especially for retired London bus drivers?

Charles

Charles P
Steve,
Didn't you know this was a special built especially for retired London bus drivers?

Charles

One of the things I like about the old car world is that you tend to learn something new about them every day

Steve

Next you'll be telling us its a Duple body. (Think about it, Duple, buses?)

I think we can all agree that its unique. One of the nice things about the Austin 7 movement is that every special is different and presumably, out there somewhere, there will be someone who can appreciate it for what it is.

Looking at the position of the seat cushion to the body sides, I would be a bit worried about falling overboard, especially if Steve was driving!

Latest update after a further email from the seller:

The special is a non-runner (lack of sparks). It's being sold on behalf of a recently-widowed lady, who can't accept less than £6,500 for it. Eeek!

Well, to be fair to the seller he has changed the description and listing to reflect the car he is selling.

Good luck to him on the price.........

who can't accept less than £6,500 for it. Eeek! [/quote]

cant or wont,

its often the difference in selling or keeping.

I bought one of these bodies 15 years ago with tons of parts. cant remember who made them but if I`m right its made all in wood and ply, NO metal body. (but I could be wrong).

i think it is also listed on the clubs poster of special bodies.

not a lover of the shape of it myself, sorry.

tony

Yes Tony. Can't or Won't was my first thought as well.

The body is, I think, a Ramco. Built by Richard Mawer in Louth. It is on the Specials Poster where it says 1 prototype then 10 - 20 bodies built between 1983 and 1987. Steel and Aluminium skin on plywood and hardwood. Richard was well known in PWA7C at that time.

Somewhere in the back of my memory I seem to recall being told they were built on the 1st floor of some building or other and the main challenge was getting them down to ground level - or has my memory made that bit up?

Steve

Steve, your memory has not betrayed you! Richard is an old friend and I recall seeing the prototype on the first floor of an old commercial property he used to own in Louth.
I think, like many of the special bodies that could be bought by the would - be constructor, there is a relatively narrow line between turning it into a presentable car or a dog's dinner. I think this Special has potential but, if I owned it, I would want to dismantle it and start again.

Regards, Stuart

To be fair to the deceased
The car has probably been built by the lady's husband at great expense and she is trying to recoup some of her pension. Don't tell my "her indoors" the expected sale price or there could be a nasty incident. I'm rapidly approaching this cost with my special which I think looks great!!!!!. AND I wouldn't take kindly to read the sort of banter in this thread from the grave about my pride and joy.
However it is a shame that the column couldn't have had more of a rake and the seats a bit lower.
You never know, its all there and needs some changes to suit the new owner but I think the price is achievable.
Howard

Stuart Ulph
Steve, your memory has not betrayed you! Richard is an old friend and I recall seeing the prototype on the first floor of an old commercial property he used to own in Louth

Thanks Stuart. Good to know that I can still remember such things!! Now, the next puzzle. Who was it that told me?

Steve

Steve Jones
Stuart Ulph
Steve, your memory has not betrayed you! Richard is an old friend and I recall seeing the prototype on the first floor of an old commercial property he used to own in Louth

Thanks Stuart. Good to know that I can still remember such things!! Now, the next puzzle. Who was it that told me?

Steve

Steve

It was probably a bloke from Lincolnshire you met in a pub; beard, leather jacket, liking for supercharged Austins.

Charles

Charles ( 'Ay up youth! )
Not a yellow belly...but close!

The thing about Specials is you never know without going to see. This could be a 1980s body on a standard Ruby Chassis or it could be a 1980s body with some very interesting parts in it. In other words, don't knock it until you know the answer.

Many years ago, I bought a derelict special that Someone else had turned his nose at. It turned out to be very "interesting" indeed. Its niggled him ever since, I'm pleased to add.

Steve,
There was an article in the Grey mag or PWA7C newsletter about 20 years back about building the bodies by Richard Mawer.
Dave.

Dave Wortley
Steve,
There was an article in the Grey mag or PWA7C newsletter about 20 years back about building the bodies by Richard Mawer.
Dave.

Found it Dave. 1994C Page 7. Page 3 of 1994C also includes someone rather familiar to one of our regular contributors!!

Steve

Re: Austin Seven \"Sports\" on ebay.

Better late than never - I only came across this today!
I'm the one who bought this car from ebay - although I paid nothing like the £6500 mentioned! I stuck it in the garage until recently until I had time to have a look at it. I'm glad to say with a change of points she fired up first pull of the handle (I had to jerry rig a fuel supply as the fuel pipe and tank were caked up). The engine sounds great too - no knocks or rumbles. I've had to do something with the seats - ie slice half the depth of foam off and make some plywood bases. She is still an ongoing project, and I agree with everything said about the build - it will be much better to drop the column for instance as it's rather sit up and beg....
Regards Paul

Re: Austin Seven \\\\\\\"Sports\\\\\\\" on ebay.

Is it one of these?

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=4102

Re: Austin Seven \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Sports\\\

It certainly is - I know of two examples besides mine on the register regards Paul

Re: Austin Seven \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Well, what a surprise ! Have only just come across this page devoted to the Ramco sports special body. Looking back, I am a bit surprised at my temerity at the time-but needed some gainful employment & pine furniture was a rather crowded market, I found. As noted in the article I wrote for the Association magazine (referred to in a previous post),getting the bodies out of the first floor of the warehouse (an 1825 Woolmarket) required a cool nerve & a quiet time of day/night, traffic wise.Not a profitable venture at the price I felt constrained to ask (fierce competition-as I saw it-from the alternative Paxton product)but I was quite proud of myself at the time. But I never built one of these for myself.Instead, went the MG type "trials" style body route- designed to suit the Reliant side valve engine/gearbox layout I had installed-(no hacking or chopping)-in a LWB chassis. Truly superb little power units, these!