Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RN/RP similarities or otherwise

I'm currently making a set of RP door frames for a customer and have been asked if I can run off another set for an RN.

Are the doors for the two models identical?

Re: RN/RP similarities or otherwise

Are the doors the same? NO.

The RN doors are 33” wide, the RP’s 33¼” (Mine measure 33⅜”?).
The RN doors AND rear side windows have parrallel moulding line on all four sides of the opening.
The RP moulding along the bottom edge widens in the middle by about ⅛”.

Many thanks to Dave Tedham (Scottish A7 Club) via Dave Mann (RN Register) for the ‘moulding’ information.

All as per these photo's - to be added as Edit

The RP's moulding (Non-parralel)

... and the RN's (Parralel)

If you have a look at the photo's on the Pinterest site (see top of Index to Forum), now knowing what you do, you will see the differences in the moulding shapes, which is one method Dave Mann and I use to see 'wrong' replacements on RN's and RP's, they will fit, but .......

I can't remember now, or find a note, re. the tumblehome either. but as most doors don't close fully anyway, it's perhaps not that important, but somethings nagging away at the back of my mind, that there is a slight differance.

BUT of course if I had read the OP properly, it ask re. frames, e.g. the wood, I think they are as good as the same, though Dave Mann may be aware of the minor differences. - School reports often said, " if he read the questions, he may have got better results!!".

Many thanks Sandy. I think that I'll have to find an RN to have a closer look at the woodwork.

I'm always amazed at some of the tiny changes that car manufacturers made - you wouldn't have thought that they justified the cost of the re-tooling involved.

The doors of the RN and RP differ at the bottom.The RN door is thicker than the RP door at the base because the floor width at the rear door pillars is greater on the RP.
The woodwork of the base of the RN door consists of a single shaped horizontal piece of wood, whereas the RP has two horizontal pieces plus a sheet of plywood and a piece of shaped metal - there is an excellent description of the RP door in the Austin Seven Companion pp69-70.

Ashley

Many thanks Ashley, I thought there was a difference, but I can't find any text in my files telling me what the difference is/was.