Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Saved from the scrap man

John, Well done for the rescue. Out of curiosity, what is the engine number on this crankcase; is it an AND #### number? I have one of these 3 bearing engines (AND 1138)where the mounting lugs are set at the same height as those on a 2 bearing high frame engine.
This engine might therefore interest someone who fancies trying out a 3 bearing engine in their earlier car, without the usual problems of hitting the prop-shaft etc.

Ron

Hello Ron,
The engine, pump and frame were not so accessible that I could get a close enough look. I will try to recover the unit back to my garage for further appraisal. They were only too delighted that I thought is was worth something! It really was destined for the scrap skip. I think a contribution to museum funds will secure.
John

Hi Ron,
Well at last the engine has arrived in my garage, and yes the engine number is "AND 610". Not sure about the mounting lugs,no starter ring fitted or clutch, but it does have very good compression on all four cylinders, and shows little sign of use. The museum want to to pass it on and are open to offers, but it will have to be colected from Dover!

John

Hi John, Thanks for the update which pretty well confirms that my AND1138 crankcase is also from a Beresford pump. I bought it as a standard A7 engine in Harlech in 1972 for £3, stripped it to fit it in the RP Box to take home and last winter (one of the "bucket" jobs)finally reassembled it as a spare for my Box Saloon.
Ron

Hi John,
would it be possible for my Uncle to pick up your engine. He's in Ramsgate. I need an engine for my Special, but am not too flush, so what would you consider a suitable donation to the museum?
This is a serious enquiry. I'm not just collecting stuff for future profit.

Best regards,
Martin

Hi Martin
I have sent you an "E" mail.
John

Hi John,
email received and answered, thanks.
Martin