Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Paint stripper that works!

Did some more work on the the Ruby today, this time stripping the paint off of the spare wheel cover.
I used Biostrip20 (usual disclaimer) that did as it said on the box, much to my surprise having read all the 'useless' 'rubbish' posts about other paint strippers, so thought I would pass on my experience.

This product is water based, hence my initial sceptisism, but I was really surprised at how well it worked.

I brushed it on, and then covered it with cling film and left it for a day.
The following day and the paint came away with ease using a paint scraper.
Had to leave it for a week, so when I got back to it today, 34.5° in the carport, it was covered in a film of rust.
One of those fancy plastic honey-comb strip clean discs in the angle grinder soon had the cover down to shiny bare metal.
A wipe over with POR anti-rust solution followed by a coat of etch primer & I called it a day as I was wet.

Photos of the whole process
All I can say is that this stuff works, and works very well indeed, so I will be using it on the remaining bodywork.

Geoff - In recovery mode.

Edit: Link to Photobucket sorted

Re: Paint stripper that works!

After I'd shuffled those pictures into the right order (or is it me?) it looks like that Biostrip did a good job.

I would hazard a guess that the Ruby was painted in cellulose, but if that's two pack I'd be very impressed!

Hello Ivor,
I uploaded the photos using my iPad, which is unable to shuffle them around, hence they are jumbled, so nothing to do with you..
It's just me being too flipping lazy to open the MacBook and get them into chronological order.

Your posting has lit a fire you know where

The paint is straight cellulose, a mixture of factory and horrid DIY over it.
I've just painted the inside of the cover with the stripper and again covered it with cling film, although the instructions say it won't evaporate, but in this heat I'm not chancing it.

The only answer I can come up with, with regards to all those rust spots, is that the body was given its primer just before factory holiday close-down, and left so for the duration.
Primer absorbs moisture even though it isn't obvious, and all the rust spots on the metal I've exposed are only on the surface.
It will be interesting to see what the inside of the cover reveals.

Geoff - 27° in the carport, perfect

Hello Geoff - couple of questions. Where did you get your Biostrip - did you buy it direct from them or can it be bought on the High St? Second - how much did you buy/use to strip your spare wheel cover? I have something roughly the same size to strip (two sides) and haven't yet seen on their web site the usage rate. It's not the cheapest product and don't want to buy more than I really need..

thanks..

Hugh,
I bought 5lt straight from the supplier, but haven't seen it in any high street store.
For the external paint on the cover, I just gave it a covering as if I was putting on a coat of paint, but for the inside I had to give it a second coat to get it to work the same.
Just experiment, it goes a long way, but buy a smaller container first to see how it goes,

One thing though, when I re-order, is to ask them to do a better job of packaging, as there was a small split in the plastic container, whether from handling or the container had a fault I don't know. All I did, however, was store the container on its side and it stopped the slight leak.

It's the best I've used, and totally free from any nasties and smell, and clean up with tap/rain water.

Geoff - Recovering from taking SHMBO to catch her 0350h coach to Stansted this morning. I'm getting too old for this lark now.

Thanks Geoff - I've ordered a 500ml tub and we'll see how I get on. I have a fairly scruffy undertray from a pre-war car to do (not Austin) I've degreased it as well as I can so we'll see how Biostrip does. I'll report back..

cheers..

Early impressions are very favourable. I purchased a 500ml tub and used a little less than half of it to coat both sides of a cellulose painted undertray about 25" x 22". I was lucky enough to be given some huge polythene bags which I popped the coated undertray into and sealed up. My intention being to stop the stripper drying out too quickly (I note geoff wrapped his in cling film for the same reason and I think is key to its effectiveness). I left it a couple of hours and I have just cleaned all the old paint off with a scraper. A good going over with a wire brush will finish it off. Very pleased with the result.

The 500ml tub was £11.50 which included postage. I ordered Thursday, it arrived Saturday.

Geoff,
I have been looking at your paint stripping experience using Biostrip. Which type is it? I have looked on the Biostrip website and on Amazon. Amazon has a footnote in the description of Biostrip 20 which says it is not suitable for automotive paint stripping. I am attempting to remove all the paint on a 1961 Landrover for my son-in- law.
Cheers,
Dave.

Geoff,
Just noticed you used Biostrip 20. Probably no good for modern car paints but ok for old Landrovers. Cheers,
Dave.

I would watch for compatibility with alloy, as iam lead to believe that some will eat into the metal if not cleaned correctly

Dave,
I used Bartoline TX10 for the first time last week, to strip back to metal an A7 R47 headlight shell (cellulose paint). I was much impressed, it really does what it is supposed to do.

see here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Bartoline-Commercial-Quality-TX10-Paint-Varnish-Stripper-Remover-Choice-/321393596082

Ian Mc.

No idea if it's works on modern paints, as never tried it.
Does not attack non-ferrous as far as I can see.
Will order Bartoline as Ruby body 'should' be back in the Carport soon.
Just finished blasting items using crushed glass.
Busy with update.

Geoff - I have at last recovered from that 'bleep' head cold!

Thanks Ian ,Geoff and John,
I will probably buy small quantities of each and decide which one is the best. Landrover progress on hold at the moment after going for a run in my A7 yesterday. Extremely noisy so engine out and completely dismantled. The front crankcase bearing replacement lip washer had come loose, wearing down the teeth on the crank gear. I was looking on a Landrover website and you can still get the evil non-compliant nitro mors type stuff but only if you are a "registered professional "restorer.
Cheers,
Dave.

I use 3M clean-n-strip discs on all sorts of metals and wood. The mess is just vacuumed.

The thing is the size of these has little to do with the price. SO..... I buy the large ones meant to fit floor polishers and just cut out several of any size I need for the price of a single 8" disc. Cuts easily with a pair of tin snips.......

Just an idea.