Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I'll buy dinner!

When I got my Nippy in 2001 all four wheels rubbed. Since all the pictures of Austins I could find on the internet had curved springs. Some idiot (pause) decided that the springs had "eased" over the years and I removed them and had them re-arched. The tires still rubbed. The Firestone 500/16's (1965 or so) apparently were larger than the Michelin 500/16's they replaced.
THEN I saw a picture of a Nippy and re-re-arched the springs, and bought a set of 475/16's
My friend's mother, when she bought the car new in 1937 was told that the '30' on the speedometer was red because, although the car could go faster, the steering was 'squirrely' above 30 mph. I drove the car to work and the mechanics pointed out the wear on the tires and handling was the result of too much toe-in. I changed it and, although there was quite an improvement, I suffered with terrible steering for years. When told there should be 1/8 inch toe-in I measured as well as I could and found 5/8 inch toe out. Wow! totally different car to drive.
Recently, I was sitting on my little stool in front of the car and it looked wrong. The little links went from the axle UP to the shock arms. No excuse here. I have books and photos that clearly show it differently. Wow again!

Since I've owned the car, NO ONE with any knowledge of Austins has checked out my car.

If any of you find yourself in Orlando, please stop by!

I promise a meal in a nearly-nice restaurant that doesn't even have a drive-through window.