Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fan Pulley.

Decided to move my RP 15 miles today between locations and halfway through the journey I heard a change in engine sound. Upon investigation it was seen that the fan belt had ridden up onto the front lip of the lower pulley. Once slacked off and fan belt removed I found that the lower pulley could be twisted from side to side and rotated on its shaft.
I happened to have a socket to fit the nut and gently tightened it up. With belt back on she ran and sounded as she always had except that the pulley now had a slight wobble. Without dismantling the whole front end, my question is does the pulley fit onto a tapered or parallel shaft and has one problem now created another ?.
I'm guessing that maybe the hole through the ali pulley may have gone oval or something else has happened.
Any suggestions please ?. Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Re: Fan Pulley.

Hi Paul, the camshaft pulley is on a taper without a key; it is held in place with a nut and spring type locking washer. You may not have tightened it sufficiently, or as the alloy pulley is a rather flimsy beast, running loose with the fan belt applying pressure to the outer rim may have distorted the thin flanges.

Ian Mc.

further to what ian has put.

often the reason for the pulley coming loose is because it has cracked the casting.

best to remove and check it, or it may let you down when you need it most.

tony

Can I just remind you, that unlike a modern car, all the fan belt is doing, is, well it's a fan belt, it doesn't have to drive a water pump or dynamo etc., like some moderns (>1950).

So once you've got yourslf a replacement pully for the camshaft tapered end, don't try and tighten the fan belt up tight, it just creates wear in the fan spindle area and the face of the camshaft and especially the fan belt pully.

There have been some good photo's on this Forum in the past of 'wear' to the fan pulley,
but can I find them..

Ian, Tony & Sandy. Thank you for your suggestions. I will follow your advice and report back in due course.

Paul