Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RP Sun Roof

Hi,

Does anyone have the cross sectional dimensions of the sliding roof rails for a 1933 RP Delux. They appear to be about 30mm on the base, about 12mm high and a return of about 12mm. It is a "J" section on its side about 60" long, sorry about the old/new dimensions. Also are the corners squareish or radiused?

Roger

Re: RP Sun Roof

Do you mean the one I've coiloured purple/mauve on this sketch, if so can measure tomorrow morning for you

Do you mean the one that's ABOVE the coloured purple/mauve line on this sketch, if so, I can measure tomorrow morning for you

Edit :- Somehow I seem to have managed a double posting and can't be rid of the first INCORRECT posting.

I beleave (uncle) Mac still makes them

Hi Sandy,

No it's not the roof lining (Purple).
It is the one above it coloured Blue that the sliding roof guide slides against.(Looks like a lying down letter "j" ).
One long rail each side of the car, not actually labeled in your drawing.

Thanks

Roger

Roger

Here we have one of mine....

Be mindful that across the back of the opening you have the 27mm wide one too, and in the same plane, with the upstand edge next to the opening - NO, I'm not teaching you how to suck the obvious egg(s), I have a frame at home where the cross piece has been welded in upside down - It came as part of a collection of A7 Parts at Auction around 30 years ago.

I include the front cross piece too for completeness.

Roger, it does say in Capitals '.. the one ABOVE the mauve....'

BUT all E.& O.E....

Hi Sandy,

Thanks much appreciated.
I have no bits other than the bit that slides so did not realise there was one at the back as well, do you mean the very back end ,or is it at the half way point, where the sliding one ends?
The one at the front I take it is where the sliding one tucks under as a seal and to stop the wind from getting under it too! Are there any good photos or drawings of the frame details?

Roger

I'm tempted to say there MUST be a RP near you in South wales somewhere.

There are a lot of bits involved, and although I have a load of photo's of the roof bits, the bits you want aren't covered, following my loss of a PC and 50% of the stored images etc.,

Meanwhile, the piece referred to earlier, 'is it across the rear of the opening?' It's at the rear of the 'Open to the Sky part', halfway, not the very back, which is just a flat piece of steel.

The distance between the two is 750mm from the front face of the front one (45mm wide) to the front face of the halfway cross piece (27mm wide).

Now where the Halfway piece is welded to the side pieces, you will also need some rectangular holes in the 10.75mm uprights of the side pieces, this is to allow the water to drain away that will be on the permanent fabric roof area - Another good reason to look over a RP near you.

I have parts for two sliding roof's, though they are all jumbled together above the garage, and at present, not easy to extract for photo's measurements etc., due to a number of other urgent jobs in hand. A7's are on the back of a cold stove at present, apart from hopping in the A7 runner for shopping etc.,, but that one is a pull the starter and away, reliable, no problems.

And before anybody ask's - No I don't wish to sell any of it, wait for Probate.

Hi Sandy,

I had forgotten that I had these photo's of an RP roof hiding on my Pc.

"I'm tempted to say there MUST be a RP near you in South wales somewhere."
There must be but they are all too far away or in hiding.
If there are any RP Box Saloons near Haverfordwest I would be pleased to hear from them.

Front Rail
 photo RPRoofRails4_zpsd2d70235.jpg
Front Rail
 photo RPRoofRails5_zps5f51679e.jpg

photo RPRoofRails3_zpsa02f77d6.jpg

photo RoofRailsRP_zpsdcd6bc35.jpg

photo RPRoofRails2_zps42e96b04.jpg

Roger

Roger,I'm watching this thread with interest as my RP has had the original roof skinned over in a previous incarnation.When time allows a full body restoration will be undertaken, at which time with the aid of all this info;and your pic's the sliding roof will be reinstated.

Dont know where in Dorset you are Peter, but I know of 2 RP,s in Weymouth , one with all the roof runners, wadding and covering all supplied by Mac Bonner.

Thanks for the info Nigel,I may have seen one of them the other day in Dorchester,(2 Miles from me)but by the time I turned around in my modern he'd vanished.Regarding forum members locations see my thread, as yet no replies,perhaps not a good idea? Peter

Have a look at this thread, it shows the detail of the front rail.

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=936143&cmd=show

Andrew

Roger I have a RP tucked away in my garage with the complete and watertight sunroof. If you mail me I am more than pleased to show you all the roof.
Godfrey

My thanks to Andrew for the parts list for the RP panels, including sunroof, I will be in touch when the restoration commences.

Here's a tip: When I fitted the frame to the roof I used a countersunk brass bolt and nut at the rearmost fixing to pull the frame down tight. The bolt passed through to the underside of the inboard wood section. I wasn't happy to rely on the several wood screws to bend the frame down. Checking the centres of these screws is another item to note if you are viewing another car
Ron

Roger, would you mind if I pinch those sun roof details for the RP Pinterest site?

Ivor,

No problem the more pictures the better if it helps to rebuild cars.
I have found them all very helpfull.

Roger

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the tips about bolting the frame in place.
Do you have any more advice, particulaly about fitting the Vinyl to the roof, how do you join the separate bits and what sealant do you advise.
What is the best way to treat the corner where it is folded underneath?

Regards

Roger

Thanks Roger, will do!

Hi Roger,
You are stretching my memory a bit on this one as it is some 40 years since I sorted out the roof on my RP. As you will have gathered, the covered steel and wood frame is dropped down as a completed item on to the 1 5/8" plate as shown in Sandy's sketch. I had the steel strip, shown in blue, screwed directly on to the 13/16 x 13/16 section (Sandy's sketch suggests that the padding and hessian are trapped between the steel and wood).
Wrongly I placed a thin aluminium sheet in lieu of hessian and 1/8" thick foam sheet in lieu of padding - only did it this way because of what was easily available -but it has worked! The foam and ally were taken to the outside edge of the steel frame. The vinyl however was continued around and underneath the steel strip and tacked into the side of the 13/16" section - round about K in the sketch. I was strongly advised to ensure the vinyl was warmed when fitting, so the job was done in front of a 3 bar electric fire. This ensures a good taughtness thereafter. I assume I trimmed most of the material away at the corners to get a mitred overlap. The sealant was Dumdum but only where the completed frame met up with the car body; no sealant was used elsewhere. A Sikoflex sealant is probably what others would use today. I expect someone will post a note on the right stuff. email me if you want clarification or a bit more info

Ron

Slightly off track, I redid my Ruby sunroof back in the 70s, It had been totally sealed up as had the windscreen with putty! I also used aluminium sheet as it was available from old Trident's wings. The problem I had was that having stood in traffic, in rain, the first time braking after that doused the back of my neck with cold water.
Has any one successfully solved this, I imagine an RP would be similar.
I envisage a very soft 'L' shaped flange fitted to the rear of the sliding part of the roof.
Any thoughts please.

As shown in Rogers third photo, there are two long rectagular holes in the side rail, and there is a return on the cross piece also to discourage water surging into the car, and finally a lot of the sunroofs I've seen and worked on had a rubber piece like a wiper blade pointing downwards to within a 1mm of the fixed roof area.

Hi Ian,

Thought you may like these to add these to you collection.
Not mine but taken of another RP near me as part of my research into what I am aiming to achieve.

Roger

Thanks for the heads up Roger, I've posted these detail shots on the RP Pinterest site...I know for one, that I'm going to need them!

Photos from Roger's post above:

Roger

RP roof RHS front corner photo Slidigroof2_zpsb13ba3f7.jpg

RP Sun Roof  Rail and Drain Holes photo RPRoofRails3_zpsa02f77d6.jpg

photo RPRoofRails4_zpsd2d70235.jpg

RP Sun Roof Rail photo RPRoofRails5_zps5f51679e.jpg

RP Front from LHS of car photo Slidingrooffrontrail_zpscb52b54a.jpg

RP Rear LHS Rail photo Slidingroofnearsiderearrail_zps31f78cf3.jpg

RP sunroof LHS rear corner, rear view of sliding roof panel photo Slidingroofrearend_zpsf047f8d5.jpg

RP sunroof rear RHS corner photo Slidingroofoffsiderear_zps4665772f.jpg

RP Sunroof fastening screw and rail RHS front corner photo Slidingroofclampscre_zps915dc581.jpg

Inside front of sunroof RP photo Slidingroofclamprail_zpsa0ccbc05.jpg

RP roof RHS front corner photo Slidigroof2_zpsb13ba3f7.jpg

RP Roof RHS front photo RoofRailsRP_zpsdcd6bc35.jpg