Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spares for longer trips

I read with interest of some of the longer trips made in Austin Sevens but if for example you were contemplating a trip to France covering possibly 1500 miles what would be the items our collected readers wisdom would suggest be the essential items (excluding a comprehensive tool kit) to take with you. I am assuming that the car is going well with all lubrication done before starting out, no water leaks and tyres all in good nick and a good spare. I guess the "essential" items would reflect those most likely to fail on a trip BUT bearing in mind the limited amount of room available after luggage is loaded hence no spare engine, rear axle etc. So, what would YOU take. Look forward to hearing your views.

Re: Spares for longer trips

Hi Garry, everyone has there own views on this one but, doing 1500 mile jaunts to and in France on an annual basis I may as well give you my list, in no particular order.

Inner tube, puncture repair kit (patches etc.) a few spare spokes of both sizes + nipple key, coil, points, condenser, distributor cap + a couple of feet of HT lead,4 new spark plugs, a pair of wheel bearings, 2 valves c/w springs, spring cups and collets, Valve spring compressor, water hose c/w clips, fan belt, wiper blade, peg and arm, sump plug c/w washer(also fits gear box), head gasket,sump gasket, manifold gasket, length of modern flexible fuel hose + clips, spare bulbs for all lights,flexible coupling (for propshaft), a few 3" HT setscrew and nuts in 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" BSF, as I have shell big ends I take a set of BE shells, brushes for dynamo & starter motor, favourite gasket goo, a tube of petrol tank etc. repair stuff, a couple of metres of heavy gauge electrical wire, very small gas blowlamp and multicore lead/tin solder, small voltmeter, 3 or 4 wheelnuts + a couple of studs, flasher unit,a couple of brakeshoe pull-off springs, a selection of fibre washers and split pins, roll of insulating tape, Araldite, small bottle of Loctite "bearing fit", loaded grease gun, small oil can for clutch release bearing, a selection of long cable ties.

There are other bits and pieces in there but I think the above is the essentials. Most of which you wouldn't obtain easily in France (or probably in England on a Sunday afternoon!!)

What I have actually used in France over the last 5 years are in heavy type.

Feel free to comment.

Ian Mc.

The only item that I can think of that doesn't feature in Ian's very comprehensive list is a fuel pump repair kit. A rotten pump diaphragm caused the only breakdown I've ever had that required a tow home.

There is only immutable certainty - that the thing that fails will be the thing you did not take.

Location: Hertfordshire. Possibility of moist and warm in the offing.

Nick, I was thinking the very same thing!

Martin Prior

The only item that I can think of that doesn't feature in Ian's very comprehensive list is a fuel pump repair kit. A rotten pump diaphragm caused the only breakdown I've ever had that required a tow home.

That wasn't included because I have a scuttle tank chummy, Martin.

Ian Mc.

Ruairidh Dunford
Nick, I was thinking the very same thing!

Ruairidh I don't believe that would ever happen to you! I've seen what things you can pull from your car. It's a veritable magicians hat. 😆

When I emptied the Pearl of spares, prior to the trip this Summer, it lifted almost two inches up in the air!

Why am I not surprised ?

strange nobody mentions axle key and studlock? cheers Russell

Hi Russell, I find that Loctite Bearing Fit is effective also as a stud lock and, I forgot to mention (because it's always on the car) that I always carry a halfshaft complete with key. You spotted my deliberate (not!) mistake.

Ian Mc.

A mobile phone and charger. Plus Richardson Hosken's contact numbers.

A list such as this is more often than not, non exhaustive!

I do carry a lot in my cars as I would find it annoying to be able to fix problems but not have the parts to do so. My cars remain full and ready for long continental trips so much of my continuation to Ian's list, below, might be considered unnecessary by some.

Core plugs

Inner wheel carrier + one front and rear outer carrier (I have had several break up).

Complete spare Distributor with HT leads attached, for speedy roadside change!

Steering arm

Oil filler cap

I carry both a low compression head gasket and high compression one as L/C are thicker and can be used, if a head/block become damaged, with greater effect.

Fan, fan belt, Top and bottom and pulley

Carden pot, blocks, cover and pins (if fitted)

Water hose and clips (these collapse without much warning despite looking okay from the outside)

At least two relined brake shoes

Rear axle gaskets (if half shaft is replaced)

Do check you have the correct diameter half shaft (SWB cars)

One rear and one front brake cable

Rear brake shoe pivot pin

Carb float and jets (or complete, tested carb)

Rear axle oil

Stepped studs with drills and and taps to suit

die nuts

Complete and tested fuel pump (if fitted)

Rear inner hub nut and lock washer ( I have had these work loose and mangle themselves up.

Various bolts, nuts and washers.

Fullers earth (for slipping clutches)

Special tools - Hub puller, hub locking brace, taper pin breaker, jet cleaning wire, telescopic magnet, small grease gun, piston ring compressor

On longer trips I carry a spare rebuilt and tested dynamo.

Fuse wire

Spare white-metalled rod (if fitted), piston rings of correct size, little end bolts

...and so it goes on...

Or, you could apply the alternative approach. Mobile phone and AA recovery membership.

Running the car a lot lighter, putting less stress on it and making it more reliable........................? Maybe!

Where's the fun in that Stuart!

On last years JoGLE I had about 1.5cwt of spares in the car, I actually needed a HT lead (The soldered on washer in the top of the Coil HT lead sheared, it had only lasted 46 years) and a Banjo bolt with filter (I had a complete spare carb on board), the bolt had come undone on the M6, I thought there was a strong smell of petrol and there was no cover over the dynamo brushes either !!!!!.
Plus and a couple of 1/4" BSF nuts and bolts were needed for some now long forgotten cobble up.

Like R, when I took it all out, the car was a lot higher off the ground.

I think there is a danger of trying to cover every eventuality and as a consequence just filling the car with spares. I've tried to prune my list down to the relatively small "show stoppers" with a high probability of failure. Basically (with the exception of the halfshaft) if it won't fit under the back seat of the chummy it doesn't come along.

Even with Ruairidh's very comprehensive spares holding there are still dozens of possible failures that he couldn't repair.

The only occasion that I have had to resort to recovery was in France with my previous car, an ARR Ruby. A little end bolt (not HT and not fitted my me!) broke in thread, worked it's way out smashing the piston and ruining the rod in the process and allowing the gudgeon pin to badly tramline the bore. These things do happen but, hopefully, not sufficiently often to warrant carrying the necessary spares!!

Possibly the ultimate peace of mind would come with a following tender in the form of a large van carrying a complete car in bits; rather like an F1 team.

Ian Mc.

The other consideration is that you should only really carry what you are prepared and capable of repairing.

Many years ago, before mobile phones and RH continental cover, I watched as a child, my father and several other people we were on holiday with, successfully replace a broken crankshaft with a spare they had with them whilst camping in Southern Germany.

Most of the items I choose to carry have failed for me at one point or another over the years, despite careful maintenance and preparation. This is not suprising when I consider the mileage I have covered and the age of the vehicles I am driving.

As a point of (possible) interest, most of the spares I carry these days end up being used by others (who carry little or nothing with them and, invariably, laugh at my "collection")!

On Malcolm Parker's Coast to Coast Run about 15 years ago,we stopped to help a fellow A7 driver. His toolkit consisted of a rusty pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

Obviously a man who was aware of his limitations, Dave.

Ian Mc.

This has obviously generated a lot of very useful comment - thanks. I am surprised that the chap with the screwdriver and pliers did not carry an oil can - for the pliers!! One other thought - Ruairidh can you let me know when you are going to France and I'll travel a hundred metres ahead of you!!!

With all the extra weight I'll never be able to keep up with you!

Where does it end? With the support of our cherished suppliers, consumables and even some second hand spares tools can be shipped worldwide if required. Despite packing what I thought would cover all eventualities bar something terminal, I was caught out on my way to the Pennine Run by a loose/knackered front brake pivot and not only did I not have a spare, I forgot to take a hub puller and thin walled socket in order to remove said hub. A cherished supplier sent everything I needed, including said socket, within 24 hrs.

I prefer the travelling light approach, I hate carrying heaps of old nonsense that you are unlikely to need. I prefer carrying a small tool kit and all sorts of bits of wire,nuts, bolts, gaffer tape, wire ties and stuff.

I've managed to fix everything so far, including driving home on one half shaft, with the old wheel nut trick.

But ultimately, it's the RAC card and the mobile phone!

Ivor beat me to it, Gaffer Tape!! otherwise known in motor sport circles as Tank Tape. Or as my wife calls it "The Force" because its light on one side, dark on the other and holds the universe together!

We had a similar dilemma running a 1300 Grp N car on International Rallys, weight against what you could actually do. We ended up, much like Ivor, with bits of wire, nuts and bolts, big washers, tank tape a tube of plastic metal, bulbs, alternator belt and self amalgamating hose repair tape. with a rudimentary tool kit of combination spanners, pliers, Mole Grips and a knife., that lot all fitted nicely inside the well of the extra spare wheel and tyre (substitute for a puncture repair outfit for a 7).

Our A7s are similarly equipped.

Stuart.

That's the way forward Stuart...I'm off to Falmouth in Cornwall in the morning and taking nothing but a change of clothes, a Swiss army knife, an RAC card and enough money for a gallon of Betty Stoggs!

Whilst on the subject of ingenious "get you home" repairs.

I seem to remember the 750MC 10'000 mile record attempt in Chris Gould's early Reliant-engined A7 Special was only allowed to have work carried out on it from spares and tools held in the car. When the block started to lift off the crankcase they used a brake cable and spare half shaft as a tourniquet in an attempt to hold it together. Vince Leek, Chris and others there at the time will have more to tell on this.

Also, in the mid 1980's, whilst touring Spain in my parents' 12/4 Clifton, the magneto stopped working due to the heat, the heat also b******d the other two spare mags. my father had brought along. Eventually he jerry rigged a coil conversion he had under the back seat using tape, wire and a pair of Mole Grips. This gave good service for nearly 10 years until it was modified to fit properly.

Ruairidh Dunford
Do check you have the correct diameter half shaft (SWB cars)

When I went on my first continental trip in the 1970s (750 Brooklands Centre, London to Monte Carlo Run), among a lot of other spares I took a carefully wrapped halfshaft, and carried this around with me on long trips. Many years later I thought that I should renew the wrapping, by now looking rather tatty. When the wrapping was off I wondered why the teeth all seemed to be twisted, then the penny dropped - I had been carrying a pinion shaft around with me all that time...

David

I think the important thing is to travel with other A7 enthusiasts: they'll have the spares.

Ivor, you know there's plenty of help available way down west, and the Falmouth area is crowded with A7's....

Ivor

A gallon of Betty Scrogs should revive parts other beverages cannot reach!

Safe journey, the weather is rather unpleasant in South Devon at the moment.

Stuart.

David Cochrane

When I went on my first continental trip in the 1970s (750 Brooklands Centre, London to Monte Carlo Run), among a lot of other spares I took a carefully wrapped halfshaft, and carried this around with me on long trips. Many years later I thought that I should renew the wrapping, by now looking rather tatty. When the wrapping was off I wondered why the teeth all seemed to be twisted, then the penny dropped - I had been carrying a pinion shaft around with me all that time...

David

Ian McGowan talks above of carrying a spare half shaft with him. As many will know, Ian's Chummy used to be my Chummy. I sold it in about 2002 to a friend who lived in France and Ian bought it from him about 5 or six years later. The last time I took the Chummy overseas would have been Summer 2002 and I wrapped a half shaft in cling film and fastened it with cable ties, under the car, inside the rear crossmember. I forgot all about it and there it remained when the car was sold. Some years later, and a while after Ian bought the car I got a call from him saying Hey! Have you lost a half shaft? I've just found one fastened under the car!! As far as I know, it's still there.

Steve

That's the one, Steve.

Trusting you implicitly, I have never unwrapped and checked it. Wouldn't be amusing if I ever needed it and it turned out, after all the years of being carried around, to have the wrong taper!!!

Ian Mc.

Thanks Stuart and Sandy, on my way and waterproofs packed!