Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
austin colours

I am trying to compile a list of the modern equivalents of the original Austin paint colours. The original formulae are of little use as most of the tinters are now discontinued. I can start the ball rolling with
Royal blue= Ford midnight blue.Can anyone help?

thanks Dave

Re: austin colours

My Chummy was several shades of midnight blueish. After bashing it I decided to change the colour to Kingfisher blue. After looking at a few Chummies in that colour, the modern equivalent that I chose was Ford Omympic blue, which I think is a 70's colour, but I still see rattle cans of it down here and I buy one every time I see it on the shelf.

This is how it turned out and I am very pleased with the result. Photobucket has changed since I last used it, so here goes:

Repainted Chummy photo June2013_zpsb7d82b66.jpg

Nice job Don, looks great!

Hi,

After a lot of research and looking through endless colour cards I used a Fiat colour called Metro Blue (dark) as an equivalent for Royal Blue. This was a 2 pack paint from PPG.

Here's a picture.

Thanks,

Matt

As mentioned in the recent cellulose thread, try Jawel Paints of Wolverhampton, who have records of the correct mixes for both pre and post-war Austin Colours. I've used their Dark Royal Blue (plus black) on the RP and Tweed Grey and Speedwell Blue on my A30 and my son's A35. Both of these still had most of their original paint and Jawel's products were a perfect match. I've found them very good on service and price.

My RP is painted Black (I think that's generally widely available) and the bottom half is a darkish red, which is British Leyland Tartan Red from the 1970s:

BMC Tartan Red was a lot lighter and brighter than that. Maybe the computer processing has changed it? I'll try and find a sample to post.
Dave

My Chummy's "Maroon" is actually Volvo (117) Dk Red/ Caribbean red.

Ian Mc.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm keen to find what modern colour equates to the pre war Austin Westminster Green. Martin,thanks I shall get onto your Paint people tomorrow to see if they will share their knowledge.
Matt maybe there are two Royal Blues the colour I had in mind was much darker with a hint of violet.
Reckless I agree your car looks to dark for tartan red but very nice nonetheless do you know what Austin called it?
Don-very nice .I've painted a chummy a similar colour so we will go with Kingfisher Blue = Ford Olympic Blue .

Thanks again.
Dave

There are two royal blues - mine is the dark, violetty-one.

Perhaps this shows the colour of my RP better - in full sun. My camera has since chucked off its mortal coil and I've got a new one...

Here's how I remember Tartan Red.

photo 200909009_zpsbdfe5bda.jpg

Dave

That looks more like signal red to me,(but I might be wrong - I often am) the colour I painted the RP in is Tartan Red RD9 same as this colour palette:

http://www.minimania.com/article/481/Austin_Version_of_BMC_Paint_Color_Codes

There were 2 versions of BMC Tartan Red, both with the same colour code RD9. All Mk1 Minis ( upto Sept. 1967) used Tartan Red No.1. Mk.2s used the much deeper Tartan Red No.2.

Ian Mc.

Re colours - what's in a name anyway?
RR and Ian - 2 lovely cars.
Dave

Just by coincidence, here's a tartan (it's mine) that's not a bad match!

A bit off topic (at least a tartan joke) - but a Glaswegian was getting married and discussing with the best man what he should wear. "I'm going to wear the full regalia, kilt, the sporran, the works". "Just bonnie" said the best man "but what's the tartan". "Och she's wearin' white!!"

Reckless Rat
My RP is painted Black (I think that's generally widely available) and the bottom half is a darkish red, which is British Leyland Tartan Red from the 1970s:

I think this is BMC Damask red.

You might be right. It's so long ago that I painted the car I've forgotten what colour I used and I haven't got any for reference purposes. The two colours don't appear to be that much different.

Just as an aside, whilst looking for a better photo to reflect the actual colour of the car I came across this picture in the depths of my digital archive. This was taken a few years ago at our local village old car do (which I organised) and that's me & the RP next to Bob Humphries' 32RN. Now, unless someone else can tell me differently I have a very strong suspicion that my RP and Bob's RN are the only two saloons registered in France and to see the pair of them together has to be very unusual...

Bob's RN is maroon and the red is a bit darker than mine.

HI Dave

I see you are interested in Westminster Green - my Ruby was painted (by the previous owner) in Rover Cameron Green - pretty close I am advised..........

Ruby photo DSC_0296_zps8125e3ad.jpg

John in the Black country

Morning Reckers,
Far be it from me to correct such a distinguished member of this Forum, but there is at least one other 32RN Saloon in France - mine!! Colour Dark Blue (RAL unspecified) and Black. Perhaps we should get them together for a photoshoot, rather like the six A4 Pacifics that I saw in the NRM York the other day - magnificent.
Best wishes,
Anthony

Always game for a day out! Contact me by e-mail & we'll see if we can sort something. According to Google maps we're about 400km apart so somewhere in between would suit me. Bob Humphrey lives in the Lot, roughly due west of me, so St Flour or Issoire would seem to be about mid-way.

I did read the article about the A4 pacifics at York - that must have been a great opportunity. I'm dead jealous. My only claim to fame is that as a young trainspotter I was invited up onto the footplate of the Mallard when it was still in service. I guess the driver would probably get the sack for it these days under H&S. What a magnificent machine.

E-mail is bjl2634@orange.fr

My location is 30960

A SWB Box Saloon exists in Provence.

Following on Ian McGowan's post on waterway descalers, here is a link to colours which are reminiscent of some Austin ones. If they are tough enough for locos then surely --------

http://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk/Z-Heritage-Steam-Supplies/Paints/p-297-2025

I used Jaguar Primrose Yellow on my Chummy as I was given to understand it is the closest you can get to the original Austin Primrose - have a look at http://lincsa7.wordpress.com/members-cars-2/vin-sue-heron-including-project/

Regards,

Vin H

Ruairidh Dunford

There is a Mulliner fabric saloon about 20 minutes from me in Lot et Garonne. It is still UK registered.

Thank you John. Vin. I have used Jaguar Primrose yellow to paint a chummy this year. What red is your Opal?

Dave

G'day Dave,

I really don't know as it had been hand painted in this colour when I bought it about 5 years ago however, to my eye, the wee car is a very pleasing red.

Although I have a spray job planned, I have not found time to date.
When I do get round to re-paint, I have been 'requested' by the Memsahib to try and keep the same colour, or as near as I can get to it, so perhaps a trip to Halfords to have the colour checked may be in order fairly soon.

BTW: I have the recipe somewhere for the Jag Primrose Yellow - let me know if you need it & I will try and find it in the software morass that is loosely termed my filing system.

Regards,

Vin H

Location: 175 km N. of Iran, about 180km S. of Russia and a bit further E. of Georgia

Vin ,let me know when you need to find the colour I can colour map it for you.

Dave

Dave,

Sent you an email re colours etc using the link on your post.

Regards,

Vin

Ruairidh Dunford

And I know of a RN and an Opal in 22 and a RP in 56 ,all French registered.

Following on from David's post, does anyone know of any modern equivalent for Elephant Grey? I have the Pramhood register mix, but the painter is having difficulty with the tinter- especially the monasteral green. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we are all primed, all black bits done, and trying to get the closest thing to the original.