Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Butts Quarry Trial Monday 30th Dec.

How much are the tickets and If you win can you take the Marshall home with you there and then?

Oxford Jack
How much are the tickets and If you win can you take the Marshall home with you there and then?

Marshalls??. This is not Dodge City you know!

Hi,

I'm planning to join this event as a spectator.

Can anyone advise on the parking situation - where to park etc...

Thanks.

Matt.
Go through the gate and you're there. Park either side of the track where you can get. Be mindfull that the competitors need access to their trailers and vans though.

Matt,
Will be glad to see you!
As Ian has intimated, there is bags of parking.
The area restricted to Competitors & Officials will be clearly signposted, but anywhere else is open to spectator parking.

Chris Garner

... the more spectators the better.....

The site is situated off the B6036 just outside Ashover.

I'm tempted to come as a spectator - a better location would be useful, how far outside Ashover please? And is it north of Ashover or South of?

How much does it cost for spectators?

It's only about 1/2 a mile south east of Ashover. And costs nothing to spectate. I can garentee you'le have a great day out. You will almost certainly get wet and dirty though !!!!

First sober night for a while....think I'll come down to spectate and fly the flag for the Scottish Austin Seven Club,always fancied entering this trial. See you there Ian(Bennett), we always park together at Guildtown.

Hi simon,
It would be great to meet up with you tomorrow but unfortunately I won't be able to go.I'm working in the morning and can't get the day off. I do like to go and am really p****d off about not being able to get. Have a great day though

Ian Bennett
It's only about 1/2 a mile south east of Ashover. And costs nothing to spectate. I can garentee you'le have a great day out. You will almost certainly get wet and dirty though !!!!

Thanks for the directions Ian. Wet and dirty is fine my me!

Just returned from Butts Quarry. Absolutely brilliant fun despite being totally soaked through and muddy.

I just wanted to thank the organisers and competitors for making this such a great day despite the weather.

The Austin Sevens seemed to be doing well - can anyone advise who was the overall winner?

Happy New Year.

Matt

Ian Bennett

Despite these bogus directions from Ian, we eventually found the trial, about 1/2 a mile north west of Ashover.

Wet, cold, windy, wet and muddy - a super day spectating!

PHOTOS

General view of the conditions!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A video clip....

VIDEO

Sorry about that, I was looking through this post again this morning (wishing I was there ) and realised I'd got it upside down(the directions that is) but too late to correct it. Still the main thing is you got there. Told you ,you would enjoy it. 😜

First time posting on here so see how it goes...

Had a great day at Butts Quarry today, only my second time there. Shame about the wind and rain in the morning but that's what makes it! Anyway here are three pics. Just email me if you want to see any more of your car.

Tom.

murphotorally1@gmail.co.uk

Through this Forum may we thank the many Friends who turned up for the Trial.
Your support and assistance was invaluable.
Also to the competitors. You appeared to thoroughly enjoy yourselves to a man...and woman!
We appreciate your kind remarks and the various photos and video which you posted, ably demonstrating the conditions!
The results will appear very soon on the PWA7C website, hopefully with many photos.
It seems certain that 2014's event will take place again on a Monday, 29th December.

Barry Mearns - Secretary of the Meeting.
Chris Garner - Clerk of the Course.

To all who organised the trial this year, Thank you for a fantastic day spectating. It was cold and wet but what a hoot! I will definitely be there next year with a car, there seemed to be more mud on me spectating than on the competitors( must remember to stand back a bit!)
Cheers!

Unfortunately due to 'man flu' I was unable to attend this year but I understand that it was a great trial that was very well supported by both the Austin 7 fratenity and VSCC regulars.
Looking at the photos, the conditions were what we have come to expect at Butts.
Many thanks to the organisers for keeping this excellent event on the calendar.
Whilst confined to barracks, I have planned a new version of the Border Raid for 2014, date yet to be finalised but looking like the 21st September. Starting in Masham,it will combine many of the roads used on the Coast to Coast and Pennine Runs, with an entirely new section from Alston via Brampton, Kershope forest and Newcastleton to the finish in Kelso.
The new bit of the route has been 'driven' on Google Earth Streetview and it looks good!
More details in due course.
Happy New Year to all Forumists.

andrew34ruby
A video clip....

VIDEO

Thanks to all the organisers and marshals for a great day, brilliant fun and brilliantly muddy!

Thanks for all the photos people have posted especially this photo of my Uncle and husband storming up hill 1

Claire

Many photos to be found at

http://petermcfadyen.co.uk/#/gallery/pwa7-trial-butts-quarry/

Sorry no idea how to do a link!! Perhaps someone can please.

Chris

LINKY

Claire DB
andrew34ruby
A video clip....

VIDEO

Thanks to all the organisers and marshals for a great day, brilliant fun and brilliantly muddy!

Thanks for all the photos people have posted especially this photo of my Uncle and husband storming up hill 1

Claire

Is this video with you driving Claire?

another VIDEO

BTW all my photos and videos are not copyright - everyone feel free to use them however you wish.

Ooo yes that's me, thanks. I swallowed a huge chunk of mud on that last bit - lovely

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the Winter's mud!
Couldn't resist adding this

Well done to all who took part.
I will enjoy from the comfort of my recliner.
A tad too far for me to journey to unfortunately.

Geoff - Back into workshop today to continue the marathon.

Well it looks like everyone had a good time in spite of all of the weather, or maybe that just made it more fun. There are some great videos and pictures on-line.
It is a real contrast seeing Stuart Ulph perched on top of that giant Model A rather than neatly folded and slid into his Almack Austin!

Search: " Hoits Smug Mug " on Google.

Even more Photos!!

I promise this will be my final posting on this subject!!

For a reminder that the conditions we experienced at Butt's Quarry were the norm. in many parts of the world in the early days of motoring, key in " Oilfield Dodge " on YouTube.

PS: a report on the Trial, with photos, will appear in the March edition of the Automobile.

The super footage Chris refers to is here CLICK HERE

I am sure I have shared these before, they are relevant to the discussion however, Australia 1950's....

R,
Thanks for the reminder- the well known 'Park Orchards mud trials' - I remember them well.
Park Orchards is now a built up suburb and Deep Creek, McIntyres Road, Tecoma Street, Harris Gully Road and suchlike are but a distant memory.

Our Club 'Observed Section Trial' group no longer subject Austin 7's to such treatment - using strange preying mantis like Trials Car Formula vehicles.

http://www.austin7club.org/gallery2b.html

Tony.