Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sports Chummies

Peter Warner's Chummy on the way to Monte Carlo, April 1974, passenger, Richard Crofts.
Engine was genuine Speedy, also gearbox. Lowered suspension, hydraulic brakes.

(photos from "The Journal")

John Ward's racing Chummy at Beaulieu 1978.
It may have contained genuine Ulster bits.

Re: Sports Chummies

I particularly like the fact that they both retain a considerable amount of "Chummy" look about them, very well done cars in my opinion.

David Cochrane's car on the left, second photo down.

I remember John Wards chummy winning the 750 motor clubs race at Mallory, (The first A7 race for years?)_in the late 70's,it had a serious wheel wobble going on to the start finish straight,very fast,and brilliant to watch.

Roger Waldron, who lived opposite us on Elm Avenue in Beeston Nottingham, just around the corner from John Barlow, raced a chummy in about 1981-2. I think it was owned at the time by John Barlow? Very quick it was too!
I remember going to watch him race a Mallory Park. I had the program from that meeting for quite some time as the winner of the Formula Ford race was Johnathan Palmer who went on to drive in F1 and became the unofficial "naturally aspirated" world champion in the period when there were two tiers to F1, turbo and non turbo.

Roger was responsible for getting me interested in A7s, "selling" me the ruby chassis which has become the Ulsteroid, when I was 16. Also allowing me to drive his Cambridge special on several PWA7 trials. I can also claim to have learned to drive in an Austin Seven, although, not on the road!

Stuart

I think the car was owned by John Barlow too.The body was more of a "cut down" version of the chummy.
Roger Waldron still works in Nottingham I believe.

DAve, Roger is retired now and a possible relief to others in his profession!!

Yes well remember him racing the Chummy at Mallory and putting a rod through both sides of the crankcase.
Car now owned by Andy Storer - he of Le Mans, Mille Miglia and Targa Florio fame with the Speedy and his Ulster.
It was out after Christmas at our Butts Quarry Trial.

Two other sporting Chummies that I know of in the UK. Both in VSCC circles.
1) Purple Chummy; a very low & fast hill climb & race car. From mid door back body is reduced in height. Has dropped axle, raked steering etc.
In early 90's Jeremy Brewster ran this car. I presume he still owns it. He restores cars as Brewster Mudie. Back then we were in partnership restoring.

Other Chummy is Sebastion Welch's car. Back then was normally a trials car but had raked steering and seats further back. Has since driven from Peking to Paris, on a one car trip with Annabel Jones.
Early in Sebs ownership he was towed along upside down by his father via a 4 & 1/2 Bentley! Joys of snagging tow rope around front wheel!
I strengthened this body, making a steel frame to replace the wood which canterlevered off the chassis. Holds two spares on rear via this.
Also built it a tuned length exhaust.

John,

was the Purple Chummy raced by Dave Tedham previously? I have an early memory of seeing this at his house when young.

Annabelle's blog during their Peking to Paris epic was a daily starter to my Primary 5 pupils, they even got a mention in one of the entries, they were talking about that for some time!

My friend Tim Bartlett now runs the lowered Chummy built by his father in the 1950's (I think), it is a rather distinctive green with bright yellow offset wheels. Two large gas struts poke through where the rear seat should be, it is depicted on several pages of the Harvey book, great car! There is something quite appealing in making a Chummy go very well whilst retaining it's charm...

I remember Dave Tedham racing a purple cut down Chummy, presumably the same one, in the late 70s I think. Shortly afterwards I lent Steve Hopkins one of my race engines to fit in his otherwise standard Chummy. It would do 80mph and was wonderfully dangerous. I had to prise it back off him before serious damage was done.

There was a special chummy in the Leicestershire/Melton area about 15 years ago,I can't remember its registration but it was ***3 a 1950's no,with its moulded plastic letter no plates.
I think it was a 1925 car modified for trialling back in the 50's.
The then owners reverted it back to standard from memory,possibly changing its number,Perhaps Chris Garner will remember it?

I have the (complete) remains of a Chummy that was converted into pick up truck some time ago, I have always toyed with the idea of running it on a lowered chassis (I have all the correct axles and springs, steering gear etc. to do this), but wondered about wheel clearance under the wings etc.

What would need to be modified (body-wise) to undertake such a conversion?

Barry Clarke's modified Chummy from 750MC Bulletin July 1963
 photo BarryClarkesSportingChummy_zps262bbcd4.jpg

R,
Not sure if it is the one as raced by Dave Tedham.
The name does ring a bell, though God knows why.
Likely Alan has confirmed this is the same car. I know that Jeremy had bought it off somebody.
We did lots of fiddling around with this car, even going to the trouble of creating a dropped axle with negative camber! This did not improve things!

Your later question is one that ponders me as well.
Our Ulsterish has full guards and running boards; fronts via Chummy and rears similar but made out of two sets, to get the same shape on inside and out, I think. I did not make them.

I have, I think a genuine dropped axle, and at some point the car will have this on it, at times.
I have looked at clearances with 19" tyres and think it is possible to angle the guards upwards from the running boards and similar at rear.

Thoughts anyone else?

Alan,
I love the comment 'wonderfully dangerous' !
Will comment on a new thread.

Don't forget Ben's Supercharged Chummy which has done quite a few hills and trials.....

photo BenatShelsley2010.jpg

Ben going uphill photo DSC_0225.jpg

Umbrellaman photo DSC_0047.jpg

Thread Hijack Alert: Sports Chummy with a roof??.....

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

All the best, Winston

Excellent use of a saloon.

Out of interest is it running offset rear wheels and in a VSCC trial in that photo?

Winston Teague
Thread Hijack Alert: Sports Chummy with a roof??.....

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

All the best, Winston

photo IMGP1853.png

Yes Austin, the rear wheels/tyres are Michelin 140 x 40 balloon tyres on very wide Bibendum rims, and we are waiting for our attempt on Mill Close Mine on the Derbyshire Trial. It is a great car, but VERY noisy inside, partly because of the rear seat passengers thoroughly enjoying themselves. Rest assured no surviving, restorable RK Saloons were harmed in this experiment.
Winston

Didn't I see a RK body on a chain gang Frazer Nash somewhere?.

I had assumed that there was a reason for the saloons?