Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Toe-in.

On my Ulster the bowed axle was slightly narrower and I had to extend the thread on the track rod. It is an obscure British Cycle thread, details were put on the Forum about 6 months ago.
I have some old vinyl flooring in my garage and I found that when the Ulster tracking was wrong, the front tyres squealed as I rolled the car fore and aft on the vinyl.
Now the tracking has been adjusted, there is noise from the tyres.
A useless non-technical bit of information!

This may seem a silly question but is the axle too short ?
Some none original "bowed" axles are too short.

Nick

I had to get a die for mine and extend the thread further on to the trackrod.

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=863790&cmd=show
http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=845865&cmd=show

Colin
.... Sorry to seem a bit ignorant here (for a change?), but 3/8" seems like a lot of toe in.

That invaluable handbook 'The Austin 7 Companion', which WAS available from the 750MC and PWA7C (although a quick search just now didn't show one in their Bookshop lists?) @ around £14.50...
quotes '... parallel to slight toe in...' (page 179 in The Companion) certainly 3/8" seems a lot.

The Austin 7 Journal for Oct. 1938 stated + or - 1/16" between the edges of the wheel rims (to clarify one of Colin's Q's.), however the Austin 7 Handbook states '..1/8", no more, no less..' (though which year's Handbook, I don't know - page 188 in The Companion).

I agree about running the chassis up and down a path or road to let the steering 'settle'.

The Companion should be on every A7 owners bookshelf, ready to hand.
I have three, one in the Study, one in the A7 and one in the Garage.

Or even -

Now the tracking has been adjusted, there is no noise from the tyres.

Tony.

Ian McGowan
No Sandy, somewhere between zero and 1/8". When one is limited to one turn of the track rod end or the next that is as precise as it is possible to be. Ian Mc.

I concede ....

When I've checked toe-in* I have two sticks with a couple of slots in them held together with (any thread) nut and bolt, I measure between rims at front, then check back, as long as there's just enough clearance, that's it.

* I'm always hoping it's going to be OK as getting the tie bar ends to move is at least another hours work, mainly because I doubt if they have been moved / dis-assembled since 1934...

P.S. Remember, I have the drag link tightly adjusted, all joints have new'ish bearings etc., I keep everything up to date in the running gear department, thus most of the wandering has been kept at bay. Oh and I have the camber adjusted too by (under my breath) twisting the radius arms.
The A7 is used on a regular basis

Have I misunderstood what you are saying Andrew? You say you have 3/8th" toe-in with the ends fully screwed on. To REDUCE the toe-in to Ian's suggested 0 to 1/8th" surely you need to LENGTHEN the trackrod by unscrewing a bit.
I'm confused!!
Steve

I'm afraid you are indeed, Steve. The trackrod is BEHIND the kingpins so lengthening the trackrod will move the rear of the wheels further apart and therefore move the front (or toe) of the wheels closer together thereby INCREASING the "toe-in".

Ian Mc.

Ah! Quite right. Another senior moment!!
Steve

The threaded casting will be bottoming on the end of the tube.

Cut a small amount off the end of the tube to shorten it, clean up the thread and wind it on further to correct the toe-in.

Ruairidh Dunford
The threaded casting will be bottoming on the end of the tube.

Cut a small amount off the end on the tube to shorten it, clean up the thread and wind it on further to correct the toe-in.

Wonderful, thank you.

I was suspecting this and was about to try, but was rather reluctant. I will now proceed with confidence.

Wonder what the toe-in was like when it was last on the road, in 1966. I have refitted all the same parts.

As I mentioned last year, when checked my Chummy had 1" toe out and as far as I know it had been like this for a long time. Steering is much better after setting it to around 1/8" toe in !!
Slowly getting rid of the 'saw tooth' tyre treads, now fitted to the rear.

Excellent solution R.

Tony.

Job done. Took a bit off both ends of the trackrod tube. Now have about 1/16" toe-in, with one turn of adjustment to spare at each end.

Thanks again.