Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: starting handle shaft, pin, and seal?

Perhaps worth mentioning that the pin needs to be made from a high quality steel such as a high tensile steel bolt. A big end bolt is just about long enough if you turn off the head. File a small groove in the centre of the pin, fit with Loktite stud lock and thump the end of the shaft into the groove as previously described.
Ron

With regards to oil leaking from the starting handle and leaving oil marks on the number plate etc. I was told some years ago by an experienced austin 7 owner and mechanic. That the starting handle when not in use should be kept in a position at 3/4 past TDC or in other words where 9 would be on a clock face. For some reason that I am not sure of this prevents the oil from leaking from the front of the nose cone.

Yours John Mason
Robin Hood Country

The handbooks that I have seen state that the starting handle should be parked at 9 o'clock when not being used and an illustration shows a leather washer that seals the gap when in that position. Many copies of handbooks can be viewed on the Austin Seven Clubs Association website:
http://www.a7ca.org/

And always park the car facing uphill...

You can buy a "dink" from B & Q. They're on the shelf next to the round tooits and the glass hammers.

I like to have a packet of benzene rings in the car just in case of a shortage of fuel on a trip - so much easier than a 1 gallon can.