Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Triple M website- TT programmes

I have just looked at the Triple M website to try and find the article on binding steering wheels and springs with string. I was unable to find what I wanted but came across a section whereby you can download and print copies of the original programmes for the Ards TT races. Worth a look, every Ulster owner should have a copy in the car!

Re: Triple M website- TT programmes

The Triple M register article is here... http://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/Binding%20springs.pdf

It's also worth Googling 'Steering Wheel cord binding', 'French whipping' and 'Spiral hitching'.

The TT programmes are here... http://www.triple-mregister.org/ArdsTT/ArdsTT.html

Malcolm, the article you want is in the technical articles section under suspension.

Thanks for that. The method of doing the binding should make life a bit easier on the hands, as the string is kept tight on each turn. In the past I have simply wound the string round the steering wheel rim and it was murder on the old fingers!

Wish you would not put up these posts! I have got gardening to do
I now have had 2cups of coffee and not made a move ,that's retirement for you
Andrew

I've got a business to run but certain things take priority!

Thanks for the tip, Malcolm. Also (after an exchange with the MMM webmaster) the link to the Craigantlet result at the end of the index works now. Worth reading if only for the report of Pat Driscoll's departure from the line in the 1935 event. I suspect the sv single seater demands that one keeps the rpm well up, so I don't think it's all hell and no notion despite the description!
Regards, Stuart

I daren't google 'French whipping' for fear of what I might find

String

I found some tarred string which has worn well on the steering wheel and is black in colour. My fears it would become sticky in warm weather were unfounded. Since then I have discovered that boat and yacht chandelers sell cotton cord in different thicknesses and in black and white, which would be suitable. I didn't find the brown string wore very well after a couple of years.

Re: String

Over the last 20 years I have bound two steering wheels with white string as used by butchers to hold briscet joints together. When completed, I painted the string with two coats of varnish which soaks into the string. The result is extremely durable and a nice colour. The wheel that was bound 20 years ago is still as good as the day it was done.