Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Seven Years with Samantha - photos...

Clive Ball is one of my heros, a great example of "doing it" rather than "reading about it"!

His round the world in an Austin Seven travelogue, "Seven Years with Samantha" was was of the few books I actually read as a child and still more than holds my interest today.

I fear that with three children my dream of doing something similar may have been left a little too late but you never know...

Today I received this wonderful e-mail from Clive:

Hi Ruairidh

I’ve scanned a selection of slides of my/our travels with Samantha and uploaded them to Flickr. Feel free to view them should a wet Sunday afternoon or such leave you at a loose end, and please pass the links on to anyone else you think might like to see them.

Album 1. UK to Western Australia. https://www.flickr.com/photos/123520795@N08/sets/72157644084822742/

Album 2. WA to Mexico via Canada. https://www.flickr.com/photos/123520795@N08/sets/72157644158218142/

Album 3. Mexico to UK via S America. https://www.flickr.com/photos/123520795@N08/sets/72157644337864081/

Mouse near the title at the top for a brief description, and over each picture for its subject.

Best regards from Sheila and me,

Clive Ball.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Re: Seven Years with Samantha - photos...

Thanks for sharing R. Unfortunately. on my computer at least, the links all lead to a "Page Unknown"? This may be just my incompetence!

S

Thanks Stuart,

my incompetence, not yours. Should all be correct now, enjoy!

Not my incompetence, with a PC, that makes a change!

What fantastic pictures, I was born just as the journey commenced!

One thing which struck me immediately was that Kabul looks the same now as then, at least from what you see on the TV news, whilst counties like Greece have changed dramatically.

Thanks Ruairidh and Clive - I bought the book the year it came out, at the same time as I bought my Ruby, and probably like most of us cherished a dream of following in Samantha's tyretracks, but it was not to be.
Seeing the full set of photos, and in colour, has got me all fired up again but I don't imagine I'll get very far.... a trip to Ireland later this year is about as ambitious as I'm likely to be!
Off to dig out the book and re-read it, again.

Alastair

Thanks Ruairidh

It was one of the non steam books in the bookcase when I was growing up and got read more than once.

Wonderful photos, thanks for the link R. My Dad gave me the book as a kid, one of few books I've re-read.

Hi Ruairidh, and thank's 'fantastic'

just fabulous

Another gem from R.D. Thanks.

Ruairidh,

"Seven Years" was a huge inspiration to me - brought home from our local library by my mother when I was a teenager, it awoke me to the realisation that Austin Sevens mattered to other people too. I've never shared Clive's mechanical ability or "get up and go" but that hasn't spoilt my repeated enjoyment of his book.

I love the photos - do tell Clive how much they are appreciated.

Peter.

This is a very nice response, Clive is aware of the thread and hopefully will read all your comments.

What a wonderful collection of interesting and inspiring photos! Thanks so much to Clive for putting them up and to Ruairidh for letting us know they are there.

Fantastic pictures. Thanks Clive, for getting them on the forum.

So many gems, but I've got to say the picture on Vesuvius looks like it's from another World.

Brings back many memories from growing up in the Cookehouse. We had a Daily Telegraph map on the hall wall. We would trace Samantha's progress, as we received Clive's eagerly anticipated letters.

Now I've grown up (sort of), It occurs to me how brave Clive (and Sheila) were to take on such an adventure almost 50 years ago. Access to relevant travel and political information must have been non-existent in a lot of the countries.

Finally - I'm happy to say that the two kids holding the 'Welcome Home Clive and Sheila' banner are both Austin 7 owners.

Regards.
Colin

Intriguing pictures.

None of the usual showing some roadside repair. How did the car fare mechanically?

Notable in photos of the 1960s, and much more so the early 50s, is the relatively sparse number of motor vehicles in the backgrounds.

The increase in vehicle density has been insidious. The ability to park almost anytime, for free, for an indefinite period, very close to any city centre, is now just a nostalgic memory. The situation applied here as late as 1990.

Bob Culver

Bob,

I highly recommend you read the book, its available through the Auckland Public Library.

I read it a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The world is a very different place today.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus

I obtained the McQuarrie book from there centuries ago. The recent loss of a prop by the Cook Strait ferry reminded me of.
(Hector and mate set off from NZ about 1930 for world tour but the liner Tahiti sank in mid Pacific after the prop departed leaving a hole. They took magnificent photos and from the proceeds bought a second Seven and started again).
I dont recall any mechanical problems, but Austins did rebuild the car in England.
I have driven long distances in a day in Seven on several occasions so find these tales quite compelling.

Bob Culver

Hi Clive et al.
I have had a copy of Clives book since it was published. Gordon Routledge (no longer with us ) was one of my best friends and is pictured with his Austin 12/4 in the second set of photos taken Levin New Zealand. I was the owner of this car after Gordon for a short time. Sold it to buy our first house, it is still around.. Clives book refers to Gordon as "the start of it All " As he told Clive where the car was to be found in a barn in Hertfordshire. Gordon was good at getting people into trouble, it was he who encouraged me to ship my Austin 7 special to England in 1980 to take part in Austin 7 Racing organised by the 750 motor club. I know he kept in touch with Gordon , he visited Clive later in Australia when he was helping Grant Cowie with the Rubber Duck restoration. I have never met you Clive, perhaps When I retire (7 Years away ! ) I might Take my Top Hat to Aussie on Tour, Kind Regards and thank you for a much treasured Book-Cheers Steve Hainsworth

Hi all.
I just found this forum and thought I'd add my twopenceworth. I also love the book. I purchased a copy in a book sale in WH Smith, Chester in 1976 for the princely sum of 20p. I kept it all years but recently I have had to downsize to a cottage and have no room to store books so everything is either going on eBay or to charity shops. To my astonishment 7 Years is currently on my eBay page with a high bid of £27. So not only a great read but a great investment as well.

Just looking for my passport. Amazing collection of photos to add even more interest to the book.

Fantastic ! I don't think one would be able to this today given the state of things in many countries making it unsafe to travel in..... probably would be arrested as spies if you tried to.

Thank you for sharing these photos.

All the best from Calgary Canada (on the other side of the mountains from Vancouver).

I just thought I'd update you all. Never get rid of your copies, mine sold for an incredible £47.20 making me a profit of 23,500% which ain't bad. Plus I got to enjoy one of the best travel books ever written. Thank you Clive!

BTW I am currently selling Book of the Austin 7 and 8 by Staton Abbey - in fair to good condition (a few oil stains). If anyone is interested it is £2.50 with £1.70 postage. If anyone wants it let me know and I will remove it from eBay and sell it here.