Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Austin 7 1935 Ruby. Clunk sound pulling off.

Dave Astle
I dont think its the torque tube anchor as i have reset it as per the manual.

Welcome to the friends forum, Richard. I think others also thought the torque tube anchor might have been a good bet but it seems he has checked it out.

Perhaps Dave will revisit this thread and report his findings.

Ray.

Resetting the torque tube anchor " as per the manual " does not stop the mounting twisting. May be worth another look. Took me some time to spot this.

Richard M.

Always worth a second look

Just found this old thread on YouTube and thought, What was the cause ? Having checked the tread again there was no explanation.It's a bit of a shame that contributors give a lot of thought and time to help only to be left in the dark as to the cause. Was it ever fixed or did Dave sell the problem on?

I appreciate that this thread stopped a long time ago but I just want to say what a great forum this is. On a number of occasions I have done a simple key-word search on Austin 7 mechanical issues and this website pops up. On this occasion I did a search after spending a fairly tough week replacing a back axle on a A7 special I recently purchased at auction. The original back axle had broken teeth on the crown wheel. It had quite a few mods (7 inch hydraulic brakes on modified back-plates etc). Took a solid week to replicate the modifications and to replace. Needless to say I was full of trepidation about just how successful the replacement would be as I was not 100% sure about how well set up the new early axel would be. Heart sink when I got a clunking sound pulling off in FWD gears...hence the link here. Cut to the chase....one of the suggestions made early on was to check the torque tube socket/ball joint. Sure enough, when I pushed upwards it travelled about 3/4 inch! I thought I have seated it correctly but clearly not. Adjustment made, clunking gone! The relief was palpable. Thanks to this forum. David

1 2