Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gudgeon Pins without Pinch Bolts ?

James
I just did the same but chose to machine circlip grooves in the gudgeon pin holes.

Martin

Martin Baker
James
I just did the same but chose to machine circlip grooves in the gudgeon pin holes.

Martin

I think that is a fine solution as long as the rpm you use are not large.

Martin, interestingly enough, the location of the gudgeon pins or lack of it with the use of ordinary pistons was one of the questions that was 'floating' about in my brain. I think your solution is far better than depending on capped ends that must make frequent contact with the cylinder bores. Obviously this impact is cushioned by the oily bath or mist created in the crankcase that in turn would discourage the use of baffles. I've checked through the catalogues of several suppliers and don't see any reference to floating gudgeon pins but a phone call or two will hopefully lead to a solution in that respect but if I had the skill, I'd be doing exactly what you're doing. I suppose you can just use ordinary gudgeon pins or are they weakened at the 'pinch point' ? It does raise the point of why aren't all gudgeon pins designed to be floating as it looks as if its an easier way than pinching them with a bolt ? James

James Anderson
Martin, interestingly enough, the location of the gudgeon pins or lack of it with the use of ordinary pistons was one of the questions that was 'floating' about in my brain. I think your solution is far better than depending on capped ends that must make frequent contact with the cylinder bores.

But does the piston not make frequent contact with the cylinder bore? You do not seem to object to that.

If you make the end caps from brass or perhaps bronze(as I think Austin did) or aluminium and you make them too tight they will split the gudgeon pin when they heat up and expand. This I have seen. I will have to ask elsewhere to find out how tight is too tight. Memory says there may be a problem with nylon-like material and I will see if I can confirm this.
Regards,
Stuart

Doesn't nylon swell when in contact with mineral oil?

Teflon Buttons have been used for years in racing engines, I have seen them for sale off the shelf for some engines, I have never used them, In my engineers brain there is something inherently wrong with doing this,(although probably it is not) I would be machining the pistons for circlip or spirolocks

James,

the Pistons available from the Seven Workshop are already machined for C-clips (provided), so that they can be used with both types of gudgeon pins, I would suggest you look at these and machine yours similarly if they do not already exist

Were it my engine, I would use use gudgeon pins designed for bushed little ends, not the pinch-type you propose above, as stated the correct ones are readily available at minimal cost.

Stuart Palmer
Doesn't nylon swell when in contact with mineral oil?

When I used PTFE I found that it shrunk, leaving me with too much end float.
I made them a light finger press fit but when I took the piston out after a year
they fell out.