Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Driving a Chummy - Any Advice?

Hi
Having driven a Ruby for many years, I have recently started driving a Chummy. It is very different. The gears and clutch are okay, but I am finding it hard to maintain an even pressure on the accelerator as I am bounced around on the rough country roads round here - the engine seems very responsive to the throttle. Resorting to using the hand throttle - like a Morgan driver - helps, but is this usual practice?
Also, do others use the handbrake and footbrake in normal driving in traffic?
Regards
Colin

Re: Driving a Chummy - Any Advice?

Place your right foot hard against the side of the footwell and it will reduce the "bounce" on the throttle.

Use the footbrake and the handbrake as required, do not be afraid to use both and, wherever possible, use the engine and gears to reduce the load on your brakes.

Enjoy the sun in your Chummy!

Colin

My 1930RL is mechanically identical to a contemporary chummy. Probably a fair bit heavier.

I drive with two positions for the throttle. Either ON or OFF. This avoids the kangaroo problems you describe.

Do you have the normal heavy spring on the throttle rod or has your car been fitted with a lighter spring Colin?

Heavy spring is much more resistant to the problem you describe. I had a similar problem on a Box saloon many years ago. Simply fitting a new spring made a massive difference.

Steve

Thanks for the advice so far - I will have a look at the spring - Colin

You'll never get used to it; I've got a better idea - sell the car to me

Get to the back of the queue, Mike!

I have been driving Alice ('28 special, so more Chummy than Ruby in character) more recently, and am having to get used to the driving all over again.

I agree with the above comments, and add that when you get used to - you never get rid of - the bunny hopping you will then find the sideways hops on bumps you hadn't noticed equally disconcerting.

Particularly when having set up for a quickish corner, car hits bump and positively leaps about. Usually if you just hang on, you continue where you were pointed in the first place.

Go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

Simon

Simon, I seem to recall your driving re-birth in the Special was a modest dash from John O'Groats to Lands End, in a day..

Location: On the very Edge of Europe....West of Jelbert, Brian, Alastair, Bob and everybody else..

Yes - I noticed that too - the back end occasionally hopping about - but, as you say, the car seems to carry on where it is pointed. So far, keeping the speed down a bit compared with the Ruby seems to help - it is livelier so it is easy to get carried away - the steering is even more direct, too - and it pulls away well from low speed in top, being light.

The accelerator spring seems in good condition and powerful, so probably as intended - but a stronger one could perhaps help.

Colin

I agree with Ruairidh's advice, ie keep the right foot against the side of the footwell and just tip your foot slightly on the pedal. If you still have the 1.1/8" dia. crank, I would not pull away in top at low speeds. Cheers.

Colin,
You could just see if a stronger spring helps you,augmenting the existing spring by temporarily attaching a piece of knicker elastic or something similar between accelerator pedal and steering column clip.
Dave.

I used one of those heavy duty rubber bands off the bottom of our tent to continue our holiday 30 or so years ago. Works a treat.

Ian Dunford
I used one of those heavy duty rubber bands off the bottom of our tent

But can you buy those now, I tried a year or two ago, without luck.

Not for tents or A7's, but I have a good use for them holding packaging together ..

Location: On the very Edge of Europe....West of Jelbert, Brian, Alastair, Bob and everybody else..

Thanks - I will rig something up and see if it works... Colin

My extra spring is a long tension spring, one end looped over the accelerator cross shaft arm where it meets the rod that comes down from the ball joint on the carb, and the lower end attaches to a U shaped bit of wire coathanger with a small loop on top of one of the uprights. The U is shaped to hook around the underside of the chassis rail.

Nothing permanently attached or drilled, takes far less time to do than describe, and passes scrutineering for "additional throttle return spring"

Cheers

Simon

Hi
In the absence of suitable elastic, I have just found and fitted a spring as per your suggestion, Simon. On a test run round the local area it is now possible to keep an even pressure on the accelerator pedal. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Regards
Colin