Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1965 VSCC - Ulster and other Sevens from 31:12

VSCC Red Ulster and other Sevens from 31:12 - video is from 1965. Is your Seven here? For example Chummy's registration RP 6089 and ML 7281. Also Ulster DR 5582 ?

Jeff

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Re: 1965 VSCC - Ulster and other Sevens from 31:12

The red Ulster is driven by a very youthful looking Reg Nice (750MC). Reg owned, drove, raced and rallied the car for several decades.

Peter.

The first serious 'original' Ulster rebuild, the car was built up of parts from the Peter Moores/ Teideman collection they built up to put together their racers.

Three of the cars I mention above that feature in the video - only AD Tourer RP 6089 is on both the chassis register and mycarcheck. Neither ML 7281 nor DR 5582 are on the register, ML 7281 doesn't show up on mycarcheck either and the registration DR 5582 is now carried by a Isuzu D-max Utah D/c Twin Turbo Td A (Pick-up) - gosh what's that !!!

** Edit ** Appears as if Ulster Rep Special (Keith Roach Body) formally DR 5582 may now carry the registration SV 8872 which is both on the chassis register and mycarcheck as Austin (Sports).

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Thanks Jeff

The punishment inflicted on precious vintage seats and car springs is harrowing.

When I was about four I saw a trampoline demo at the circus. It was the end of my bed springs. If I had seen a Trials film it would have been the end of the family Seven (now mine).

The damage to frail aluminium panelling from all those keen pushers is worrying. Sixty years ago parking in the street and at public events was much less ordered than today. We would occasionally return to our 34 box to find it had been manhandled to squeeze in another car. With 4 wheel handbrake the cars do not respond to the bounce technique and much more force was applied than a small car would normally require. My father used to be very annoyed by the consequent distorted mudguards.

Very nostalgic to hear delightful non PC comments about dress and class etc.

With heartbeats all synchronised to that frenetic music it is little wonder we have a generation with raised blood pressure

These films do not make me feel any more youthful! Even Bill Boddy is young!

Bob Culver

Another lovely bit of history with the Hon Patrick Lindsay featuring early on.
Would Spero in the Maserati be the pre war H C Spero in Mrs Jo-Jo?

Tony.

'Nobby' Spero went on to race a Maserati after the war.

As regards pushing cars, my 31 saloon has dents to both sides of the rear window where it must have been pushed over the years. All part of its character.

The VSCC event is the Spero Trophy Race

From the March 1970 Motor Sport,

"It is with indescribable sadness that we record the passing of H. C. Spero, whom we all called "Nobby". When I was still a teenager he was successfully racing his Austin 7 "Mrs. Jo Jo" at Brooklands. It was a single-seater of advanced streamline Shape, at all events in its developed form, and did not look like an Austin. But I remember going to the Track with my mother in a fabric saloon Austin 7 belonging to a lady driver, for the 1929 August Meeting. As "Mrs. Jo Jo" went by the lady in whose car we had driven down remarked that she knew this was another Austin 7, because it made the same rattling noise as hers. On that occasion Spero won the President's Gold Plate race at 80.7 m.p.h., lapping at the excellent speed of 84.7 m.p.h. He had many other successes with this Austin and afterwards drove a Lea-Francis. In recent times he was a keen and critical follower of VSCC racing, in which he ran a couple of 3-litre Maseratis with Maurice Soman. Then he got his son on to racing a Maserati 250F, now owned by Neil Corner, sensibly making him work up speed gradually, which has paid off, as John now races a Porsche. Nobby Spero hardly spoke of his Brooklands days but a happy look would spread over his face if you mentioned his Austin and it was on account of it that he presented the Spero Trophy to the VSCC, for a race confined to 750 and 1,100 c.c. cars. Nobby loved racing for "proper" cars and would attend meetings when not having a car running, quietly watching what was going on and occasionally making an impatient comment if someone or something did not match up. He died of a heart attack some 42 years after his first Brooklands appearance in a BC Austin 7. To John, his mother and his sister, our heartfelt condolences.—W. B."

Tony.

I wonder if the the lady recognised the crank handle tinkle or the main bearings?!

Bob Culver

Worry not about ML the Chummy. Alive and well and still with the Blakes, with many more generations with their eyes on it. W