Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin 7 1935 Ruby. Clunk sound pulling off.

I have been waiting in anticipation for the answer to this problem. Don\'t know why, except that I hate loose ends.

Thanks Ian i will check
Dave

Having listened to it about 20 times now, that is a good solid clunk occuring at the instant fwd motion begins. My money is still on something in or closely connected to the drive train.
I'd start with the bellhousing nuts and work my way backwards down the drive train ensuring that all fastenings and mountings are done up as they should be.

Passing thought, if nothing else is apparent, maybe pinion shaft end float or loose pinionshaft front flange securing nut - nicely hidden away, out of sight, out of mind??

Ian Mc

AAL Tourer.
Torque tube anchor should be a non-adjustable silent bloc bush.

I think posting a video of this is genius, look at all the helpful suggestions it has provided, great idea!

I suffered a clunk such as yours for some time on the Ulster, I checked everything suggested above several times, including removing the pinion!

I only discovered what the cause of it actually was very recently when I decided to take the whole axle off and swap it. The Half shaft nuts were very light indeed, I had checked them many times but never removed them. As I started to undo the off-side one I noticed the half shaft turned with the nut a small amount before it wound off the thread. It turned out that the nut had bottomed on the end of the thread and the taper was not tight in the hub allowing it to rotate slightly and cause a clunk. A new hub fixed the problem and I did not need to swap the axle.

hi Dave
i have had the clutch out , everything seems ok,
thanks
dave

Thanks for your input. everyone has been very helpful. i will keep searching and give an end conclusion.
Dave

Try it on stands while someone listens/watches under the car.

As do I, Robin. My pet hate is threads on the forum which just fade away with no news of the conclusion.

Ian Mc.

Robin Oldfield
I have been waiting in anticipation for the answer to this problem. Don\\\'t know why, except that I hate loose ends.

I know that Dave has not been able to solve this problem so far.

I (bravely)lay under his car to identify the source of the clunk. It is definitely located in the rear axle and we are guessing that it is due to a broken half shaft.

Still to be investigated.....

"Clunk sound pulling off is definitely located in the rear axle and we are guessing that it is due to a broken half shaft"

Not sure but from my experience a broken half shaft stops pulling off????

Tony.

Thanks for the update, Matt. Although, if the halfshaft is truely broken, I would have expected the car to be incapable of any motion?

EDIT: "SNAP" Tony

Ian Mc.

Just a thought, but does it make any strange noises if the handbrake is kept firmly on while the clutch is engaged? Maybe try it alternately forward and back but not allowing it to move.
This help might to isolate the region the noise comes from somewhat.

That's certainly a loud "clack", Dave! I think if you had a broken half shaft you wouldn't be going anywhere!! It sounds to me like a loose rear hub taper. If it was like it when you got the car, the chances are that someone has incorrectly assembled the rear hub and although the nut is done up tight, the hub isn't seating on the taper. If it's been driven in this state for a while, the key will have messed up the hub and the half shaft.

The only thing that keeps bugging me though is that the noise goes away in reverse Perhaps it is a brake holding on after all.

I do hope we are told exactly what that noise is. It is one of those noises that seems to have got us all guessing!

And since May too!

One must assume that the spare wheel is not 'loosely fixed'?

My 1933 RP clacks going forward but not reversing. I have eventually found it to be due to a worn slot in the rear of the torque tube anchor. The mount twists and raps against the neck of the ball attachment on the chassis crossmember. There is far more wear on one side of the slot than the other so far less movement when reversing. Eliminating up and down movement does not prevent this twisting and there is no more adjustment on the very large castle nut to tighten things up.
This is my first post on the site and I hope is of some help.
Richard Masterman.