Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Halford's 20/50 Classic Motor Oil

I use Halford's 20/50 Classic Motor oil and went to buy some today. It is is on special offer at the moment, Buy 1 get 1 half price.

At £19.99 each, two cost £29.88, a bargain I thought. Fill your boots!

Regards Jack

Re: Halford's 20/50 Classic Motor Oil

Yes, got mine earlier today....

Location: On the very Edge of Europe....West of Jelbert, Brian, Alastair, Bob and everybody else..

Thanks Jack, the offer is still on, I got a couple of cans this morning.

Ian Mc.

Re: Halford\'s 20/50 Classic Motor Oil

My local Halfords did not seem to know about this offer. When I asked they looked on their computer and discovered the offer was on. I bought a couple of cans which will last me some time.
Thanks for the heads up.
Richard M.

Re: Halford\'s 20/50 Classic Motor Oil

i thought the correct oil was sae30

Re: Halford\\\\\\\'s 20/50 Classic Motor Oil

Quite correct Richard

20/50 is a multigrade oil, which has additives in that hold small particles in suspension, when the oil passes through the oil filter those particles are removed and so the cleanest oil possible is then supplied to the engine.

SAE 30 is a straight oil, without additives to hold the particles, they therefore drop out and remain in the bottom of the sump until drained.

So it all depends if you have fitted a full flow filter to your engine. Wrong oil and your engine will wear faster.

Keith Dobinson

Re: Halford\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s 20/50 Classic Motor Oil

Keith Dobinson
Quite correct Richard

20/50 is a multigrade oil, which has additives in that hold small particles in suspension, when the oil passes through the oil filter those particles are removed and so the cleanest oil possible is then supplied to the engine.

SAE 30 is a straight oil, without additives to hold the particles, they therefore drop out and remain in the bottom of the sump until drained.

So it all depends if you have fitted a full flow filter to your engine. Wrong oil and your engine will wear faster.

Keith Dobinson

You are most probably correct, Keith but Halfords are marketing this oil as a 'low detergent' and many people are using it because they have been persuaded that it is suitable for older engines. Maybe 'our' cars are older than the market Halfords were aiming at?

Re: Halford\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

many of us run no filter but with a multigrade (with detergent).

I find you end up with a cleaner engine (on the inside) than running one on SAE30.

The other benefit is that you'll get better protection at start up.

The key is to change a multigrade with detergent often, as the 'sh1t' is held in suspension (so a filter can take it out).

There are those who buy the cheapest oil possible, and change it very often.

I've been using the Halfords stuff, but currently have enough in stock. I'm just about to place an order for 5 gallon of lub oil for the steamer (which has a total loss lubrication system), the budget wont stretch to more this month.

I tend to agree with you Hedd. I would say for engines which have always been run on SAE 30 and have not been rebuilt then it would be best to carry on with the oil which has no detergents in it because the last thing you want is to dislodge silt and grit and transport it straight to the bearings!

On the other hand, if you have rebuilt your engine and it's internals are spotless then perhaps there are benefits of using a modern multigrade low detergent oil like the Halfords Classic; not least for the start up protection it claims to provide.

I think you are on the money when it comes to frequent changes of multigrade oil; that way as I see it you get the best of both worlds for your engine especially if like me you have taken great pains to rebuild it to a high standard. Incidentally, in my opinion, nothing sounds as sweet as a well sorted Austin 7 engine which is odd really when you think about how unlikely that is.