Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I had a similar problem and Auto Glym got me out of a big mess.

Re: That'll teach me....

Thanks everyone - I'm going to give it a day or so to see what happens before I try anything else and I'll report back.

Alastair (just taken the car up to the local for a pint or two and feeling much more mellow about it...)

Re: That\'ll teach me....

If you look on the "Argos" web site for "carcovers" it states;
"Not suitable for cars over 20 years old"
Mmmm.
John R

Re: That\\\'ll teach me....

I had a look for a 'proper' car cover yesterday and couldn't find anything that seemed suitable from a size point of view, but I think after this I'll let the car take its chances in the rain, in spite of the slight leak in the sun roof. I've been putting off installing any headlining until I'd found a cure for that, as I've been having too much fun driving the car in the first real summer we've had for years...

Alastair

Re: That\\\\\\\'ll teach me....

A Smart Car cover fits my 1929 saloon very well, but it may be a little small for a Ruby.

Re: That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll teach me....

I had this problem with a 1999 Peugeot.

The heater matrix went, and I was to mean to pay the garage the £700 they wanted to change a £80 part so I did it myself

It involved taking the dash out, which involved taking out half the loom so I ended up without central locking while in bits.

To give myself some security I put a blue plastic sheet over it for a couple of nights, and it did this near the fuel cap (the car being a diesel).

I never did fix it, i tried T cut and autoglym polish then gave up. The car waslast seen driven off with 4 bald tyres (no spare), no tax, and a cracked windscreen by a Latvian. I sold it him on e-bay for £200. He was off to Kent.

When I lived in a flat, I used to keep my Fabric Saloon in the car park from spring to Autumn and then locked up in dad's garage for the Winter.

Whilst in the car park, I used a Halfords "breathable" car cover for a modern car for both security and weather resistance.

The stock cover looked a bit ugly, but fitted the saloon and, being breathable, was a fabric type so didn't worry the paintwork either.

They weren't cheap, but I was happy with it.

All the best

Peter

http://www.covercraft-europe.com/our-covers/car-covers/flannel/index.html
I bought one of these when I first bought my RP about 8 years ago. It wasn't cheap but is genuinely made to measure, if I recall it then came in 2 sizes for the A7, I bought the larger assuming that the smaller was for chummy/SWB. Fits as snug as anything and breathable so no worries if putting away in the garage a bit damp ( but I do tend to leave it rolled up the wheels if really wet to let air circulate. I would think that if it fits LWB box then would be OK for Ruby.
It has protected the RP from a multitude of cats, including climbing kittens, over the years and apart from a tear where it caught on a door looks as good as new.
Having said that I do suffer from the same paInt problem when washing the car in the sun, and it seems to be getting worse. I found streaks appearing after washing that did fade but needed some 'coloured t cut' to remove completely followed by Auto Glym resin polish. Now I just avoid washing in the sun, and actually avoid washing too much at all (me and the car)
Andy B

Re: That'll teach me....

Thanks again everyone - I've asked Covercraft for a quote. They use the same Captcha system for messages, with the house numbers. I bet they don't have the ///// trouble though. I've been deleting them from the subject heading but they keep creeping back!

I do wonder what the problem is with the paint - its almost as if the sunlight has acted as a developer for whatever the reaction is. No signs of it fading yet...
Alastair