Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My Nippy won\\\'t idle

Hi Gordy. If I understand it, it was OK for one day after its hibernation, then not OK the next day. That would seem to rule out anything that deteriorates gradually. The idling circuit in the carb has some pretty tiny passages, so some dirt or a flake of corrosion may have got lodged somewhere other than the main and progression jets which you have already cleaned. I suggest it may be worth removing the idling mixture adjustment screw, and having a blow through all the accessible holes with a garage air line before replacing the screw. Count the turns as you remove it, so you can get back to more or less the original setting. Be aware that many people (including myself)find that the idle mixture adjustment on these carbs makes little or no difference to the running, and some have even cast doubt on whether they did much even when they were new !

Re: My Nippy won\\\\\\\'t idle

Hi Ian!
(We have to stop meeting this way!)
It certainly could be bad gas. Maybe this one time where petrol sounds better.
I only have 1/4 tank now, so topping it off should make it good enough. Easiest way would be to drive to the gas station and top it off.
...................I may be missing something.

Dave,
It HAS been backfiring more lately!
The rotor does seem a bit loose.
Tried the electrical tape thing. Didn't change anything, but I'm not convinced that that isn't the problem. I'm not ruling out the distributor just yet.

John,
I agree with you that working well one day and not the next suggests the carb. I DO have a 25 gallon (very noisy) compressor. I just ran out and turned on the A/C in the garage. Not really pertinent, but I'm just so happy to have a garage, and now it's air conditioned!

Thanks guys!

Re: My Nippy won't idle

John,
You win a pint of Guinness the next time you're in Orlando!
I went through the carb cleaning everything. also, I noticed some idiot left out a number of gaskets and/or sealer.
The car runs nicely now.

Thanks!